Godzilla
100 (75.2%)
King Kong
25 (18.8%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 132

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,504,608 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I bet they really dig Mothra though, right?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 16, 2021, 11:27:23 PM

"Why did you say that name!?"

razeak

razeak

Yes, actually.  Also, when Shin Godzilla came out, we drove to Colombus, OH and that theater was almost packed. Must be a WV/Ohio thing.

Huggs

Huggs

My father's from WV and none of the family there has anything to do with Godzilla. All they seem to care about is Star Wars.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: razeak on Apr 16, 2021, 11:45:42 PM

Yes, actually.  Also, when Shin Godzilla came out, we drove to Colombus, OH and that theater was almost packed. Must be a WV/Ohio thing.

It's because kaiju are real for y'all.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 16, 2021, 02:37:40 AM
Does it explain why Serizawa is working with Apex?

I'm several chapters in now, and so far:

Spoiler
1. Russian mercenaries working on an oil rig capture an octopus-like titan. It sits wounded on the bottom of the sea, covered in nets. A Mr. Rosalez (the money) shows up. Godzilla appears and frees the titan. A sub tries to drop a net on Godzilla, but he destroys it. Rosalez escapes as godzilla destroys the sub, the oil rig and kills everyone.

There's a meeting in Pensacola where a guy named Simmons is shown a photo of 2 of 3 artifacts he's been looking for. He starts liquidating assets so he can buy them.

2. Brief chapter about the Tarzan brothers. The one who flies into the hollow earth is seemingly killed when his plane emerges from the "jet stream" at uncontrollable speed. The media seemed to have little interest in the expedition.

3. The last 6 or 7 skull island natives are fleeing a giant storm which is destroying the island. They get ambushed in the rising waters and eaten by creatures until it's just the deaf kid and her "sister-mother", who sacrifices herself during a tsunami to throw the kid up into a tree. Kong finds the kid and saves her.

Godzilla made the other titans go back to sleep and has found a new "sanctuary". He wakes up later because one is "not where it's supposed to be". He gets angry, and leaves the hollow earth after staring momentarily at the skull of the "ancient adversary his kind had driven out but never fully defeated".

4. The kid has been adopted and hangs out with Kong, who is now at his full growth level, and is kept inside a large bio dome by monarch. He throws a makeshift spear at the sun, which breaks the ceiling, and startles him. Brief conversation about a bat-titan Kong fought named Camazotz. The other large predators on the island have starved to death.

It's stated that Kong can't be held much longer, due to his nutritional needs and the fact he will escape. The Ilene character has been working with Kong for 10 years and is worried that if he's taken somewhere else, Godzilla will come after him and Kong might be killed.

[close]

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 17, 2021, 08:10:32 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 16, 2021, 02:37:40 AM
Does it explain why Serizawa is working with Apex?

I'm several chapters in now, and so far:

Spoiler
1. Russian mercenaries working on an oil rig capture an octopus-like titan. It sits wounded on the bottom of the sea, covered in nets. A Mr. Rosalez (the money) shows up. Godzilla appears and frees the titan. A sub tries to drop a net on Godzilla, but he destroys it. Rosalez escapes as godzilla destroys the sub, the oil rig and kills everyone.

There's a meeting in Pensacola where a guy named Simmons is shown a photo of 2 of 3 artifacts he's been looking for. He starts liquidating assets so he can buy them.

2. Brief chapter about the Tarzan brothers. The one who flies into the hollow earth is seemingly killed when his plane emerges from the "jet stream" at uncontrollable speed. The media seemed to have little interest in the expedition.

3. The last 6 or 7 skull island natives are fleeing a giant storm which is destroying the island. They get ambushed in the rising waters and eaten by creatures until it's just the deaf kid and her "sister-mother", who sacrifices herself during a tsunami to throw the kid up into a tree. Kong finds the kid and saves her.

Godzilla made the other titans go back to sleep and has found a new "sanctuary". He wakes up later because one is "not where it's supposed to be". He gets angry, and leaves the hollow earth after staring momentarily at the skull of the "ancient adversary his kind had driven out but never fully defeated".

4. The kid has been adopted and hangs out with Kong, who is now at his full growth level, and is kept inside a large bio dome by monarch. He throws a makeshift spear at the sun, which breaks the ceiling, and startles him. Brief conversation about a bat-titan Kong fought named Camazotz. The other large predators on the island have starved to death.

It's stated that Kong can't be held much longer, due to his nutritional needs and the fact he will escape. The Ilene character has been working with Kong for 10 years and is worried that if he's taken somewhere else, Godzilla will come after him and Kong might be killed.

[close]
Sounds like I might need to pick this up.

Huggs

Huggs

GVK has reached $390.2 million, officially surpassing KOTM's $386.6 million theatrical run.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 19, 2021, 12:09:43 AM
GVK has reached $390.2 million, officially surpassing KOTM's $386.6 million theatrical run.

"Perhaps the most significant success has come in China, where Godzilla vs. Kong has become the highest-grossing film of any preceding it in the Monsterverse. The film has exceeded initial expectations overseas broadly as well where COVID-19 cases had been reduced far better than in the United States.

The film's release has been such a success that Warner Bros. even pushed back the release of the upcoming Mortal Kombat, likely to avoid having two releases be in competition with each other."

https://collider.com/godzilla-vs-kong-box-office-records/

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Huggs

Huggs

Anyone else think it's been in theaters long enough?

I think it's been in theaters long enough. I'd like to buy it now please.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 19, 2021, 04:55:30 AM

"Perhaps the most significant success has come in China, where Godzilla vs. Kong has become the highest-grossing film of any preceding it in the Monsterverse. The film has exceeded initial expectations overseas broadly as well where COVID-19 cases had been reduced far better than in the United States.

The film's release has been such a success that Warner Bros. even pushed back the release of the upcoming Mortal Kombat, likely to avoid having two releases be in competition with each other."

Godzilla versus Kong is set in Hong Kong. That might've helped the China box office.
I think the same can be said for Pacific Rim (1).

;)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: bb-15 on Apr 23, 2021, 02:53:16 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 19, 2021, 04:55:30 AM

Godzilla versus Kong is set in Hong Kong. That might've helped the China box office.
I think the same can be said for Pacific Rim (1).

;)

I don't know. They loved the Warcraft movie as well, and who knows. But IIRC, South Koreans loved the game. I have no idea if it was that popular in China though.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Wanted to wait until cinemas open here, but last evening felt like watching it. It's definitely the best in the MonsterVerse series, brainless CGI cartoon but entertaining, self aware and consistent with good pacing and flow 6.5/10. Will probably have to see it on the big screen too.

Since the movie is quite successful there will be another, I wonder what's next. They have put themselves in a corner having too much stuff crammed into few movies: Mothra, Ghidorah, Kong, MechaGodzilla, Rodan, hollow earth... all done. What's next to keep it fresh, Biollante, Destroyah? My guess one more, then a reboot (though I really love the current G design).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed