20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 29, 2020, 09:07:37 PM

Author
20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material! (Read 28,014 times)

Xiggz456

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 17, 2020, 06:51:15 PM
Do you have a great distain for Disney? What's with the "Disweyland" thing?

Pretty sure it's simply a text based pun

Disneyland
Disweyland

While also implying the corporate dominance of Disney. But I'm sure Voodoo will let you know his exact reasoning.  ;)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 17, 2020, 08:21:23 PM
Pretty sure it's simply a text based pun

Disneyland
Disweyland

While also implying the corporate dominance of Disney.

Indeed.  :)

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Well how can I compete with this gem?

It ages like a fine wine!!!

;D

The Old One

The Old One

It's your most fully accurate criticism.

Beef Dogg

I hope its based on the OG Comic book series

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Beef Dogg on May 18, 2020, 01:19:41 PM

No idea what it was based on, but, as far as we're all aware, this project is never actually going to see the light of day.

Beef Dogg

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 18, 2020, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: Beef Dogg on May 18, 2020, 01:19:41 PM

No idea what it was based on, but, as far as we're all aware, this project is never actually going to see the light of day.

:'(

Vrastal

Was hoping thered be some (positive) news about rhe project. Guess there is still nothing

Corporal Hicks

A lot of details on this project were spilled on the recent interview episode of Perfect Organism with Josh Izzo, the man in charge of Alien/Predator EU for much of the mid-2010s. He didn't name the director but based on what was said of his credentials, I think it was Shinji Aramaki.

Shinji directed the original Appleseed, The Package in Halo Legends, Harlock: Space Pirate, both of the animated Starship Trooper films, Ultraman and Blade Runner: Black Lotus. So I also don't think this was anime in the traditional sense, but CG animation.

I'm transcribing all the details to do a separate thread/post (and trying to get some extra info), but thought folk might be interested before I do.

Stitch

Hmm, that's interesting. I don't know if it's good or bad that we missed out on it, with the added context.

CGI animation is OK, but it never looks as good as traditional animations.  I really like Blade Runner Black Lotus, but there's a lot of uncanny valley, and things which don't look quite right. Might be great for aliens, but I'm not so sure about predators. The artwork for AVP on the Jaguar looked great at the time, but I'm not sure we'd want a full feature length version of it.

Corporal Hicks

I feel we missed out. I've been wanting a CG animated Alien/Predator feature or series since the days of Roughneck Chronicles. And I actually really love the animated films for Starship Troopers that Shinji did.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I haven't seen any Starship Troopers past Paul Verhoeven's original (which I adore), but I've heard from a lot of people that the second of the animated films is really solid (the first animated one, I've heard less positive things about). I should check that out...

"The Package" was easily my least favorite installment in Halo: Legends, but I wouldn't really hold that one against him; it wasn't the animation I hated in that one, it was the pretty terrible writing (which was not on Aramaki).

I did watch all of Blade Runner: Black Lotus. Not bad, it had some pretty genuinely cool stuff in it, but it also didn't leave much of a long-term impact on me. I think with that one, I was just kind hoping for/expecting something a bit more like Shin'ichirĂ´ Watanabe's Blade Runner: Black Out 2022.

A CGI series definitely isn't what I was expecting here (I'm sure it would have looked cool, it's just different than what I had in mind when news of this originally leaked), but whatever it would have been, this series remains a real genuine curiosity in my mind... If not the whole project itself, I wish the very least some art or a synopsis or something would leak. It can't be worse than the last two attempts at bringing AVP to the screen, right?

EDIT: I'm listening to the podcast episode now, there are some really juicy details about the genesis of this project and how it mutated/grew into something else in here (as well as some details about some specific Predators in it, its placement in the timeline, etc.). The origin of this project goes back way farther than I would have expected. Very good listen.

EDIT 2: Oh wow, an interesting detail in the podcast regarding Ridley's third prequel, too, including a name for it that I don't think we've ever heard thrown around publically before.

Corporal Hicks

I've got it all written up and ready to go. Just hoping Josh can clarify some stuff for me before I post.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed