More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 01, 2021, 05:53:22 AM

Author
More Previously Unseen Concept Art For Blomkamp’s Alien 5! (Read 68,041 times)

acrediblesource

Blamkamp = Nofrills (you'll never know what he represents as produce).

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 15, 2021, 09:14:27 PM
a credible confused source from a distant star system

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 15, 2021, 09:18:38 PM
Blamkamp = Nofrills (you'll never know what he represents as produce).

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 15, 2021, 09:14:27 PM
a credible confused source from a distant star system

He represents tomatoes, I believe.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I'm sorry guys, I'm just spitting hot fire today. He's seems like he's a fine gentalmon.

Yeah , the Queen bio suit takes the cake.

Russian

Aside from the Alien suit, I like how everything else is looking.

BigDaddyJohn

Please feel free to take your time when you're typing.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: skhellter on Jun 15, 2021, 09:05:47 PM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 15, 2021, 08:51:39 PM
What bewilders me is that a man who is essentially "just' a produce

Just wanted to pop in for the first time in years to say, all of this does not look great. But he's not stupid. I'd rather he did not do this. I'd rather he did not do Chappie. I in fact, would rather he reverse where this course started with Elysium, which was to buckle to pressure to make it more light compared to District 9. District 9 is a f**king phenomenal parody of werstern politics. It is so good of a parody, that they had to get rid of scenes where the head of MNU was being given an interview and he said essentially frilly of course "We feed them, we house them, we give them everything they ever could have. These protestors, they think we're torturing them, but really how violent have they been?" And it is f**king rich seeing an American in South Africa talk about how violent a subjugated population is. They got rid of many of these snippets because they were just too subtle and made people actually sympathize with MNU because the actor was given lines that were 1:1 with international concern condescension. "Oh you don't have to worry, we feed them and house them it's fine." "We'll the guy said it's fine, you mean, I shouldn't trust him? Those people lie to me about not being racist? Look I think you're being a bit over sensitive,"

Which is f**king dark

But what's more dark is that he interviewed some people who signed off talking about other races and not fictional alien beings. One was a white Afrikaaner who said translated basically "A virus. A very specific virus. Wipe them all out."

District 9 was probably one of the best movies of the tail end of the aughts. What was it fighting against? American propaganda in the hurt locker and a fairy tail version of the grit and grime of what oppression actually is vs what it actually is not in Avatar? Same year. Everybody focused on Avatar being preachy because D9 made too much of a good point and it was edited so tight. In the making and in the screening of this movie, that people were frusterated because they wondered "well why would MNU do that, they're looking out for what's best for these aliens" until near the end, along with the other thing is just grim. I believe they asked another man who was African about some specific minority in South African and he gave that line "I don't care where they go, but they must go. They just must go."

I don't know what happened to his career aside learning the ropes of how Hollywood operates and toning down many ideas in Elysium into melodrama pointlessness. But District 9 remains perhaps one of the best allegorical scifi films in little over a decade.

And if you want to get angry and see the scene I'm talking about where people actually fell for the condescension and didn't start forming fists in and out, here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayhmFNqUd-Y

Towards the end if you catch his double speak "They are aliens we must understand that they are not like us and never will be part of our society" seconds later "So we have to work to assimilate them and make them compatible with our way of life"

One other scene that didn't make the cut is a guy who is in the movie claiming the prawns are aimless and lazy, good shit for an Afrikaner doing what they do best again, coming back to say how police and authorities had to practice on live imprisoned prawns on what kind of rounds penetrate their thick shell exoskeletons so we could harm them or kill them to protect ourselves and our communities."

This is just shit we hear today. If America wants to become a hybrid of 20th century Ireland and South Africa, fine, let it rot. But you can't deny that "oh things are just for the best."

No, this film nailed down how we talk about these issues, and how it costs emotionally, the lives of others. And how we condemn violence but at the same time, we do not look at our incredibly recent history, in the case of District 9, South African Apartheid and America and Europe's support of it, that lead to actual massacres.

I'm paraphrasing but the point remains the same. It's not as subtle as Network, but apartheid is hardly subtle nor are its supporters and defenders in any capacity. I have not seen a film question what it means to be an intelligent thinking being, as a universal humanity, as something that should not be you know smacked with the but of a gun, face kicked again and again, gun to the temple of Christopher's head while the skinhead smiles and says "You know," big smirk "I...love watching you prawns die." You're probably thinking this sounds like a cheesy line, no, it' being brutally honest especially about South Africa. He's not stupid he's just lost. He made an incredible movie and couldn't match it. That happens more often in the history of film than you think. I don't think shitting on the man's entire filmography is appropriate because, you think some shit that District 9 isn't hitting close to the truth of the matter about how little the western world gives a shit and still complains about how it has to give a fraction of a billion fractions of a percent, to reveal the only motivating factor is always manipulation and cruelty. I don't know how he brought it to film, someone thinking "this indie shit will never sell" Again  a condemnation. This film was such a good satire it on many levels proved its point to people in real breathing life.

And this parody goes back and forth in a way far more subtle than Verhoven in actually showing emotion in what should be villains in these two Afrikaaners but that wouldn't be right.IIRC Vickus has just teared up as his skin falls off as he notices it loose in the mirror and sobs about how he will never ever be in the position he was in as a white Afrikaaner, which is grimly funny but you still sympathize with him. Then his wife calls and sobs "I just want it to be the way it was again. I want you" she wants him to be a white blonde Afrikaaner as well, just like the way it was. Not literally, but not being able to care about these people. And the South African government and MNU were tapping it the whole time triangulating where he's at while Vickus says he knows a way to get better I promise baby I promise I'll be back to the same me. "But how can we go back. How can you go back to who you are." And he just looks at his arm. That to him, is not part of him, despite the fact it feels pain, and despite the fact the people he worked for literally just want to disect him for medical miracles and the ability to use weapons, saying "You miss your wife? f**k YOUR WIFE." and killing an innocent prawn with the gun with his hand. He still looks at it the way they do, he's still incredibly naive and liberal.

And it's why he betrays Christopher when he does nearly killing his son when the missile hits the command module. He still feels he's more important than them, he has to be. He's human. He's not them. He's him. It isn't until he hears his logic heard said back through the mech  with these skinheads "Look, boss he's not going to talk." "Then just f**king kill em. Then just f**king kill em." that he has to go back and cathartically save hristopher and leave himself behind and slaughter as many of these hysterical man children mercenaries as possible and breaking every bone in one's body by flinging a pig at the skinhead like a gravity gun. Which I'm sure was a purposeful ironic fate.

I don't care what people say about the man, Neil Blompkamp disappoints me. I wish he did more with his career and nailed something out again just like D9. I saw District 9 in theaters back in 2009, and I'm glad I did because it further reinforced my morals, and that you shouldn't let your own fears and doubts stand against what's morally right. Your fears and doubts about what is or is not morally right usually can be applied back to yourself. Most people are unfortunately, Vickus, but most people are not brave enough to at least realize at the end "I'm not going to lose everything by being the monster I was, I'm going to be the human I now am."

It honestly does a harsher and darker, more sad but more effective job at parodying Western values than Starship Troopers. Satire throughout history has not always been about making you laugh. It's just spitting the shit that you live in back at you. And this did a remarkable job at it.And I'm glad Neil got to make it. I love that movie so much.

acrediblesource

Im sorry if i opened up some kind of proverbial can whoop ass.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 15, 2021, 11:40:02 PM

I just don't think he's as dumb. I just think he's cynical. But he made one movie without cynicism whatsoever and pointed out how f**ked international support for apartheid was and made it fantastic to watch in editing and in plotting. And the fact some had to be cut because it went over their heads feels like it should be from the 70's. Not 2009

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 15, 2021, 11:40:02 PM

I don't think anyone thinks you did. Your resources were... less than credible. ;) The produce thing was pretty funny, though.

Gilfryd

I like the idea of Ripley and Hicks going rogue against the company and Ripley 'suiting up' one last time to save the day (following the compression suit on the Narcissus and the power loader on the Sulaco), but those weaponized Alien/bio-mech designs don't inspire much confidence. Stuff like guns with exposed vertebrae and Queen power loader mech suits is the most uninteresting (and kinda stupid/fanboyish) way of approaching the company finally weaponizing Alien biology. (I know it's just concept art and we really don't know anything but that's how it's coming across to me.)

KiramidHead

The very silly part of me hopes that there was Schumacher-stye suiting up montage in the script. :laugh:

judge death

As someone else said: blomkamp has since district 9 pretty much done the same setup and theme in all of his movies: docu or message kind of start of the movie, then nailing down the message like in chappie that all life is sacred etc and then a mecha suit end battle.

I get the same feeling here: would see Ripley and hicks and they are dragged into weyland yutani trying to do something with the xenos and threatening life on earth and newt so they start to fight back and its probably a drama docu style in the start, showing weyland yutani doing things and those guards with that dog picture might be a tv recording of WY entering some hotspot. Then at the end we have ripley in the queen mecha suit fighting the queen alien and lots of action. Blomkamp must have mecha suits or robots, its in all of his movies :P

Gilfryd

I don't have anything against a big Alien bio-mech thing ('Ripley and the Alien becoming one' and all that) but having it be a hollowed out Queen and just that (big crest and everything) makes it come across too... comic book/video gamey.

Nightmare Asylum

kwisatz

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed