Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating)

Started by JaaayDee, May 28, 2012, 02:22:15 PM

Author
Critic Review Thread (79% fresh - 7.1 average rating) (Read 203,188 times)

Cybercat

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 09, 2012, 11:07:39 AM
Judging a film based off fanboy reaction is hardly recommended.

Seriously, Alien had one of the most anal fandoms way before this movie came out. 

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 09, 2012, 11:07:39 AM
Judging a film based off fanboy reaction is hardly recommended.

Yeah going by fanboy reviews are some the worst reviews out there. It better to read from critics then what fanboys have to say. Critics enjoy X-Men: First Class while several fans hated it.

SpeedyMaxx

The online/niche reaction is, from what I've seen, so far afield from the actual general reaction.  I've rarely seen it articulated so much.  Except with, say, Avatar.  People dug in their heels on that from the first Comicon preview and decided that was how they were going to feel.  The rest of planet Earth, however, did not give a shit about Comicon.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

The same with a 'few' peeps here as well. Oh well, we're all different, par for the course. Nothing interests me less than trying to reason with people who made up their minds about something before they even saw it. There's just nothing interesting to explore down that path. But you know what, that's okay, I'm sure talking with me/others doesn't interest them either. It takes all types....all types.

Anyway....I'm seeing the film again on Monday to perhaps help round out or flesh out my opinion of it. It resonated deeply with me if only because of some of the grand questions that it asked. The most interesting question I pondered upon leaving the film was 'why would god create something, and then feel like said creation needed to be destroyed? That doesn't sound like a perfect and infallible god to me. Why would a god even make something imperfect?  Why would a god feel the need to create anything?

SpeedyMaxx

The obvious answer is that no one, not even Engineers, are infallible.  Their own experiments apparently destroyed them.

I personally think they were simply planning to come back and reap the crop of their terraforming, harvesting the species once it grew enough - as Scott said, gardening in space.  But that's an open question for now.  It's also another great parallel to Aliens, and Weyland-Yutani's future terraforming efforts.  And Prometheus is full of parallels/mirroring.

ThisBethesdaSea

My questions are more philosophical in nature, and not specifically about the Engineers per se. What I love about science fiction is that it asks the universe questions that I've always had myself. Who are we? Where do we come from? What is god? What is faith, and then explores those questions. What I tried to pay attention to while watching Prometheus was how David was treated by his makers. The answer.....not very well. Even when we are the gods, we treat our own creation not with love but with disdain and in some ways, jealousy. If we're the model for god, then fu€k god.

Darth Vile

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 10, 2012, 03:12:06 AM

Anyway....I'm seeing the film again on Monday to perhaps help round out or flesh out my opinion of it. It resonated deeply with me if only because of some of the grand questions that it asked. The most interesting question I pondered upon leaving the film was 'why would god create something, and then feel like said creation needed to be destroyed? That doesn't sound like a perfect and infallible god to me. Why would a god even make something imperfect?  Why would a god feel the need to create anything?

I think that particular answer, albeit in a subtle way, can be found within the movie itself (specifically the conversation between David and Holloway round the pool table). If we created androids/robots, what would it take for us to want to wipe them out? Them challenging our authority? Them defying our authority or even violently resisting our commands and/or authority? I don't think it would take much... based on Holloway's, Vicker's (and probably Weyland's) treatment of David as something inferior.

VickersAsh

VickersAsh

nice :)

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 10, 2012, 03:24:57 AM
What I tried to pay attention to while watching Prometheus was how David was treated by his makers. The answer.....not very well. Even when we are the gods, we treat our own creation not with love but with disdain and in some ways, jealousy. If we're the model for god, then fu€k god.

that is a very interesting thought

Ooze on First

RT numbers
Critics
Tomatometer: 74%
Rating: 6.9/10
Reviews: 211 (156 fresh / 55 rotten)
Audience
Liked it: 75%
Rating: 3.8/5
Users: 80,362

IMDb numbers
Rating: 7.8/10 from 40,890 users

mastermoon

Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 10, 2012, 11:57:51 PM
RT numbers
Critics
Tomatometer: 74%
Rating: 6.9/10
Reviews: 211 (156 fresh / 55 rotten)
Audience

IMDb numbers
Rating: 7.8/10 from 40,890 users

I'm impressed that this movie is doing very good.

tonyt2000

Great review from Grantland, along with a musing on the oddball nature of the "Alien" franchise.  Also links to a great article on why academics are obsessed with the franchise.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8020546/prometheus-ridley-scott-blockbuster-alien-franchise

ThisBethesdaSea

I've been continuing to read all Prometheus related tweets today...and aside from mostly positive and yet, a good portion negative remarks...this is what i'm also seeing (paraphrase)

"I can't stop thinking about Prometheus, and it's been 5 days"

This is EXACTLY me. Movies I've not liked at all I don't think about past exiting the theater. Movies that I've enjoyed (Snow White and the Huntsman, Avengers, Inception, etc...) I don't think about that often....but Prometheus...I cannot stop processing what I saw, what it meant, the larger questions it touches on, the nature of David, etc...

Darth Vile

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jun 11, 2012, 03:28:24 PM
I've been continuing to read all Prometheus related tweets today...and aside from mostly positive and yet, a good portion negative remarks...this is what i'm also seeing (paraphrase)

"I can't stop thinking about Prometheus, and it's been 5 days"

This is EXACTLY me. Movies I've not liked at all I don't think about past exiting the theater. Movies that I've enjoyed (Snow White and the Huntsman, Avengers, Inception, etc...) I don't think about that often....but Prometheus...I cannot stop processing what I saw, what it meant, the larger questions it touches on, the nature of David, etc...

Completely agree... 8) Regardless of its flaws... it makes you think. Avengers et al are designed to do the opposite.

Blacklabel

Anonymous User

Thanks Ooze for tracking Rotten Tomatoes rating. We can see that the audience rating keeps dropping every day.

Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 08, 2012, 02:41:33 PM
Audience
Liked it: 87%
Rating: 4.3/5
Users: 37,871

Quote from: Ooze on First on Jun 10, 2012, 11:57:51 PM
Audience

The current position is:

Audience
Liked it: 74%
Rating: 3.7/5
Users: 102,951

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed