Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 130,698 times)

The Alien Predator

I'd love to see the past interactions between the Predators and Engineers, not in a "they created them" way, but maybe show if there was a first ever encounter between a Predator hunting party and a group of Engineer scientists. I'd like it if the franchise explores the idea of coincidence, a thing called "Convergent Evolution", look at the Thylacine and the wolf, both have very similar morphologies despite one being a marsupial and the other a mammal.

I know it's an Earth animal, but the idea of convergent evolution is fascinating, and it'd be interesting to explore the idea that the Predators are this one in a billion chance that happened to form.

I wonder, which race is older? Both are truly ancient and predate the human epoch, even Rage War touches on the idea that a Predator space habitat is older than humanity itself, the audio diaries of AvP2010 also say how the Predator ruins predate modern hominids. And we know that Engineers predate us too.

I have this feeling that Engineers are a bit older. But as far as the galaxy's concerned, these two may be the eldest race, maybe alongside the Dog-Aliens from the new novels.

I just love this idea of us being this relatively new and young species, we're like little toddlers just stepping outside for the first time...

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

If there's one thing FaS showed, it's that Predator and Prometheus mix pretty well together, so I'm still optimistic. Not to mention this whole thing has a really good writer.

I hope Ahab shows up, even if it's just a cameo. I'm still sticking with my theory that Tartarus just might be LV-223.

happypred

Abnett is generally good...he does have his misses. Really hope he delivers a good story with cool Yautja, cool marines, cool Prometheus creatures...and maybe xenomorphs as well

RakaiThwei

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 02, 2016, 04:22:44 AM
Checked out Tristan Jones' Tumblr...

Apparently, Incursion is one of his research pieces along with a bunch of Alien books... Why a Predator book though?

Ultramorph

I know he's reading Incursion, but I think it's mostly because it's the newest novel.

The Alien Predator

YEESSSSS!!!

Incursion was among my favourite books so this is great news.

Maybe because Incursion has some
Spoiler
biomechanical ships.
[close]
that's why. Also like Ultramorph said, it's pretty recent and no doubt much easier to get.

Ultramorph

Incursion sets up a good amount of stuff with the xenos, so he's probably interested in that, along with the future history of the Marines.

The full list of books he mentioned as research: Predator: Incursion, Alien: River of Pain , and the novelizations of Aliens, A3, and Resurrection. So, can we all agree that Alien 3 and Resurrection aren't getting retconned?  ;D
https://twitter.com/TRexJones/status/683140103657635840

Also, I kind of love how Predator: Life and Death seems to be adhering to the history Lebbon set up in Incursion, with the Marines starting to have run ins with the Predators, and W-Y aggressively going after alien tech. Serious props if Abnett mentions ArmoTech.

happypred

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 02, 2016, 04:22:44 AM
Checked out Tristan Jones' Tumblr...

Apparently, Incursion is one of his research pieces along with a bunch of Alien books... Why a Predator book though?

How is this relevant to Predator: Life & Death?

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 02, 2016, 07:29:43 PM
So, can we all agree that Alien 3 and Resurrection aren't getting retconned?  ;D

Not until Blomkamp's movie happens.. And he did say that Ridley and Blomkamp have the final word.

Assuming that movie ever happens now that Ridley went George Lucas on us.

Quote from: happypred on Jan 03, 2016, 03:44:27 PM
How is this relevant to Predator: Life & Death?

....Damn it, I posted in the wrong thread!!

happypred

Any recent news about this (I can't seem to find any)? Really anticipating this series.

Corporal Hicks

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I haven't heard anything new, but DH's April solicitations should be out sometime in the next week-and-a-half, so we'll be getting the summary and cover to issue 2 (as well as the solicitation for Aliens: Defiance #1).

It seems like Dark Horse is playing this one a bit closer to the chest than they did with Fire and Stone. I don't know whether that's just an attempt not to get us over-hyped, or if it's because they have some surprises up their sleeve. Probably a bit of both.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 07, 2016, 08:41:32 PMI haven't heard anything new, but DH's April solicitations should be out sometime in the next week-and-a-half, so we'll be getting the summary and cover to issue 2 (as well as the solicitation for Aliens: Defiance #1).

It seems like Dark Horse is playing this one a bit closer to the chest than they did with Fire and Stone. I don't know whether that's just an attempt not to get us over-hyped, or if it's because they have some surprises up their sleeve. Probably a bit of both.

Well...March is coming along soon. Guess we won't have to wait too long. Really hope the interior art is good.

EDIT: Brian Thies' work looks mediocre...

But Mooneyham's sketching and actual F&S art are leagues apart

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah, March is going to be here before we know it, so it's all good. FaS was unfortunate because the studio interference meant it was a full 11 months between the initial announcement and when it finally hit stands.

I hope Mooneyham and Ferreyra do the art for some of the series after Predator. They knocked it out of the park on Prometheus and Predator. It would be cool to have Agustin Alessio back, as well.

Doing some browsing, and it seems that Tartarus is probably a Warhammer reference on Abnett's part.
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Tartarus

Randy Stradley has addressed whether this is a FaS sequel on Facebook.
Quote"Life and Death" begins as it's own story, then intersects with "Fire and Stone."

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Jan 09, 2016, 04:41:54 PM
Randy Stradley has addressed whether this is a FaS sequel on Facebook.
Quote"Life and Death" begins as it's own story, then intersects with "Fire and Stone."

Very cool news...I like some degree of connection among stories. Thanks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed