Prometheus Sets and Props

Started by ikarop, Apr 24, 2012, 10:27:19 PM

Author
Prometheus Sets and Props (Read 27,095 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 25, 2012, 06:39:48 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong Cvalda, I certainly don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that really sounds like it comes with an air of "Well, what do you expect?" Like Alien is on such a high playing field nothing can touch it? I mean, Alien is a classic, it's a great movie, but what makes it great isn't that hard to achieve...
Aside from the fact that hundreds of movies have tried to achieve just that since, and none of them have topped it--not even its sequels. The odds of PROMETHEUS besting ALIEN, which is a masterpiece, are pretty damned slim.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Virgil_uk on Apr 25, 2012, 03:00:06 AMNow, can we gaze at this picture for a minute and get a bit excited that this film comes out in just over a month?
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/03/17/Prometheus_510.jpg
Unfortunately when I gaze at that picture I get a creeping sense of dread about this film. Something about plonking a giant human-looking head into the middle of what by all rights (I mean, to my mind) is meant to be a completely alien structure, seems... cheap. Now we know much more about the back story thanks to these last few articles, even more so.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 25, 2012, 06:47:03 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong Cvalda, I certainly don't mean to put words in your mouth, but that really sounds like it comes with an air of "Well, what do you expect?" Like Alien is on such a high playing field nothing can touch it? I mean, Alien is a classic, it's a great movie, but what makes it great isn't that hard to achieve...
Aside from the fact that hundreds of movies have tried to achieve just that since, and none of them have topped it--not even its sequels. The odds of PROMETHEUS besting ALIEN, which is a masterpiece, are pretty damned slim.
^ What I would have said.

If it's not that hard to achieve that level of filmmaking, how come Alien haven't been beat yet? There have been/are plenty of A level directors doing their very best in the horror/sci-fi genre.

It's like how Silence Of The Lambs completely redefined a genre and made most subsequent films dealing with the same themes, look like poor imitations by comparison, including its own sequel and prequels.

Why haven't anyone made sculptures more impressive than what the renaissance era artists offered, advancing the artform to the next level?

Infected

Infected

Quote from: Virgil_uk on Apr 25, 2012, 03:00:06 AM
I'm not trying to categorize you at all, Deuterium. I just wanna see a big ol' smile on that there face  ;D

Now, can we gaze at this picture for a minute and get a bit excited that this film comes out in just over a month?

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/03/17/Prometheus_510.jpg

Iz....is it really you Zordon?  :-[

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Eva on Apr 25, 2012, 08:21:08 AM
If it's not that hard to achieve that level of filmmaking, how come Alien haven't been beat yet? There have been/are plenty of A level directors doing their very best in the horror/sci-fi genre.

Too many wink at the audience for one thing. Alien is a no bullshit movie. That's the problem. Every, but every, film suffers from at least one scene where they wink.

The closest serious attempt at another Alien was Event Horizon. It suffers from some bad editing, bad acting, and bad direction. It starts out fairly promising, but then loses itself to some very cheesy elements.

It's like how Silence Of The Lambs completely redefined a genre and made most subsequent films dealing with the same themes, look like poor imitations by comparison, including its own sequel and prequels.

That's because they are imitations. Hannibal, it's direct sequel was (ironic time) cannibalizing on Silence by using what was a very insidious and interesting character as a primary focus. Too much of a good thing. Plus the over use of gore and carnage, something the original movie used sparingly.

I would say that "Red Dragon" though a remake, was actually a very successful film. IMHO it does a fairly good job of matching Lambs.

Why haven't anyone made sculptures more impressive than what the renaissance era artists offered, advancing the artform to the next level?

Because large portions of the population can't be bothered with said art form to begin with? ;D I'm kidding of course. You make a valid point.

nostromo mechanic

nostromo mechanic

Back in 1979, we walked into Alien with no expectations at all and Star Wars was probably the closest thing we were wanting to compare it to! Wow, you wanna talk about two totally different movies there. Anyway, Prometheus has big shoes to fill and high expectations to live up too. Just think, as much of a masterpiece as the original Alien was, Ridley would be competing with himself to outdo his original if it was a direct prequel. As much as I love Xeno's, I am kinda Xeno'ed out especially after that gawd damn Predalien that was roaring like a lion on the roof of the hospital in the AVP movie. I can't even stress how much I hated hearing that. I'm ready for a new creature in my nightmares for the NEXT 33 years!

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 25, 2012, 02:42:36 AM
I have simply expressed concern with the production designers statements, which imply that the alien life / creatures, featured in the film, are derived from terrestrial examples...and specifically, the perplexing qualification that "nothing was invented".  If you folks wish to categorize my specific post as a formal complaint, then that is your choice.
Were you ever concerned when Ridley and co said they watched Oxford Scientific to explain the breeding habits of Kane's Son; or when he compared it to a grub; or Giger compared it to a termite; or when Dan O'Bannon said he based the Alien on insects and his own stomach ailments; and on and on? It's all terrestrial, always was, albeit wrapped up in Giger's signature style. The unknowable aspect of the Alien comes from its origin, or motive (which we all should know by now, was to breed, as explained throughout the decades by the filmmakers). I still don't understand your complaints, but I guess you're welcome to them.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

What I find confounding is the dichotomy between wanting something as a fan, and also wanting Ridley Scott to stay true to his own artistic vision. At the moment, I'll choose number two. Alien and Blade Runner are films that came from who Ridley Scott is as a person, encompassing his background as a commercial director and artist. That same Ridley Scott is directing Prometheus. He's in the best position possible because he's not been jaded by a string of financial hits. He's come to Prometheus with his feet firmly secured in the soil.

I've about had enough with the bitching and moaning. My response is not to gush (I'm no gushing fan). However cautious optimisnm is something that this board could use a bit more of.

Predaker

Predaker

I think when they say "nothing was invented" they are speaking in the context of, "hey we didn't just pull this stuff out of our asses. It makes sense."

I dont take it to literally mean they aren't willing to be a little creative with this movie..

Hope everyone here is having a good day!!  :)

8thPassenger

8thPassenger

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 25, 2012, 06:14:55 PM
I think when they say "nothing was invented" they are speaking in the context of, "hey we didn't just pull this stuff out of our asses. It makes sense."

I dont take it to literally mean they aren't willing to be a little creative with this movie..

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Sometimes people seem to take things too literally.

And stuff

And stuff

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 25, 2012, 06:47:03 AM

What's a better film, Alien or Blade Runner?  I get the feeling Prometheus wont be comparable to Alien aside from the fact that it takes place in the same universe.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 25, 2012, 06:14:55 PM

Hope everyone here is having a good day!!  :)

Well, may we'll find out more and then know whether Neal Scanlan knows what he's talking about or not.

Virgil

Virgil

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 25, 2012, 06:14:46 PM
I've about had enough with the bitching and moaning. My response is not to gush (I'm no gushing fan). However cautious optimisnm is something that this board could use a bit more of.

Im with you 100% ThisBethesdaSea. I keep hoping for just a little more optimism about this film myself. But alas, you can't help how people feel.  :-\

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Looks like the decision to move away from the bulky suits of the original film really was as simple as fleeting artistic preference, rather than anything to do with alleged NASA concepts, as some had speculated... Interesting to reference, at least.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Or that RIDICULOUS Mass Effect comparison....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed