What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 153,973 times)

ralfy

ralfy

I think the IMDB discussions are still in filmboards.com, but Avast keeps blocking it.

xenotaris

xenotaris

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 18, 2023, 12:15:48 PMIt's not so much that, as it is, the place has had a bit of a reputation from dot one.

Whats Dot One?

SiL

SiL

In guessing either a typo of day one or a strange portmanteau of day dot/day one, which both mean the same thing.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Correct.

xenotaris

xenotaris

I'm a little dense but what sort of reputation? Other than it was a Prometheus fan promotion site.

From my experiences being on the site for 11-12 years now. On the Alien Forums, most of the people I had encountered in the beginning were either ALIEN First moviers, general alien fans like myself, or AVP fanboys. Gradually the AVP fanboys slowly died out on the website as some of the ALIEN first moviers evolved in Alien Prequel Fan Theorists.

I think the only users that keep the Alien Forums alive is Big Dave, Thoughts_Dreams, and myself (Xenotaris).

Exposedoldgregg

Exposedoldgregg

My mam ruined my ability to sleep for the next 8 years by letting me watch Aliens with her when I was 5.

Absolute terror became an obsession.

Blackdawn

Blackdawn

I was hooked the first time I saw Predator when I was 12 a few years after it came out. I remember sitting on the couch with my Dad watching it. I was awe-struck. My Dad said he had been watching me and knew I was hooked on the Predator.

What he didn't know is how serious I would get into it. The Predator universe. I'm currently self-publishing my first original fiction, but 10 years from now, I want to legally write at least one Predator or AvP novel. I know that's a long shot but publishing companies when you fork over 2-3k will provide you an agent to help distribute your books to higher end places and get you noticed more. They basically have contacts and negotiate for you, but it only works if your writing is good enough for publishing warehouses to take you on. Which is why I'm waiting until 10 years later. 10 years worth of publishing my own works to really amp up my writing.

Anything is possible.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Exposedoldgregg on Sep 13, 2023, 12:01:52 PMMy mam ruined my ability to sleep for the next 8 years by letting me watch Aliens with her when I was 5.

Absolute terror became an obsession.

I have a very similar story!  :laugh:  Except it was my Dad, and the nightmares only lasted 5 years until he forced me to sit down and watch the film again. But this - absolute terror became an obsession - is absolutely spot on for me.

Neila

Neila

for me it was actually alien 3. ;D  ;D  ;D
I also knew the predecessors and thought they were really good, but I was a horror and science fiction fan in general and the focus wasn't yet on Alien.
Unlike many others, I thought it was a smart decision to have just a single alien instead of hordes of them.
When the film came out in 1992, I was disappointed at first, but then I realized that the film was merciless and had the most aggressive alien, with what I thought was the most elegant design. Not so well implemented in the film but still cool.
I watched it several more times in the theater and eventually became a fan of Alien 3 and the entire franchise. The assembly cut made all of this even stronger.
Since then, the topic of ALIEN has stuck with me and I think that of all the well-known brands that have been messed up in some way, Alien has remained the best.  :o  8)  ;D
Even if the alien designs in some films were no longer that good (Alien 4, AVP-R,) and in most comics they were downright crappy, I think that the alien itself is the greatest film creature of all time and will never be topped.

As for Predator, I saw the first film when it came out on video and thought it was great.
After Alien, the design was the best there was to date.
I liked the sadistic arrogance of the hunter who turned the tables and hunted people.
I liked the second part just as much as the first and the design was great here too. only the ending was weak
Although I have to say that the code of honor introduced here is nonsense and doesn't suit the predator at all.
Anyone who thinks about it a little more closely will recognize it.

After that, nothing good came out of the Predator universe for me personally. With the further films and explanations came more and more inconsistencies in his behavior and existence. That's why I'm still limiting myself to the first two parts at the moment.

avp films, games and comics as a fun change is nice, but I would have left both of them their own universe and not done any crossovers.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Honestly Alien 3 is probably the one I rewatch the most these days.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: Blackdawn on Sep 13, 2023, 10:45:31 PMI was hooked the first time I saw Predator when I was 12 a few years after it came out. I remember sitting on the couch with my Dad watching it. I was awe-struck. My Dad said he had been watching me and knew I was hooked on the Predator.

What he didn't know is how serious I would get into it. The Predator universe. I'm currently self-publishing my first original fiction, but 10 years from now, I want to legally write at least one Predator or AvP novel. I know that's a long shot but publishing companies when you fork over 2-3k will provide you an agent to help distribute your books to higher end places and get you noticed more. They basically have contacts and negotiate for you, but it only works if your writing is good enough for publishing warehouses to take you on. Which is why I'm waiting until 10 years later. 10 years worth of publishing my own works to really amp up my writing.

Anything is possible.
I wish you luck.
I just hope that if you write a novel about AvP that the aliens won't be further degraded as stupid, mindless enemies. just like AvP-R and especially Steve Perry and his daughter did in their novels. The predator doesn't want to fight against a stupid creature, he can do that when he hunts people.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: xenotaris on May 19, 2023, 10:54:45 AMBig Dave

Holy shit I'm pretty sure I've seen his posts screencapped. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's like ralfy x100.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 16, 2023, 07:43:05 PM
Quote from: xenotaris on May 19, 2023, 10:54:45 AMBig Dave

Holy shit I'm pretty sure I've seen his posts screencapped. If it's the guy I'm thinking of, he's like ralfy x100.

Gonzo man! lol I used to have a Scified account over 10 years ago and I definitely remember that dude. He wrote his walls of text with a passion :laugh:  mostly theories about the Engineers and stuff.

oduodu

oduodu

remember bigdave. wonder if he is still there.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Well he should come here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed