New Map: TDM Dry Dock

Started by windebieste, Feb 19, 2016, 06:48:42 AM

Author
New Map: TDM Dry Dock (Read 13,843 times)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey,

It's looking very nice, well done W.
It's the first time I notice a truck hanger.

I grow more and more impatient to test it  :D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's looking great, winde! Coming along really nicely.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Awesome > Awesome > AWESOMESAUCE >  ;D

KingKenny

KingKenny

I have to ask. Will this have a skirmish mode?

windebieste

windebieste

I may do so as it will only take a little extra effort, relatively speakig.   The map will have to be complete before adding all the necessary AI components to get it to work.

No promises on that one but it did cross my mind and is very much possible.  We shall see. 

At the very least, I will be releasing the .ed file so anyone can mess around with it. 

-Windebieste.

Lucifero

Lucifero

shame not to have a server where test.

x-M-x

x-M-x

it can be tested in LAN mode you know, doesn't matter how you test it.

@ windie,

Looking good man!

windebieste

windebieste

I'm making more good progress on this map.  Today I started adding lights to it.  Lighting isn't going to be finalised for a while yet, but at least this first pass is indicative of the direction the finished map will take.

Still got a looooong way to go!  This making maps stuff sure is time consuming.  Gradually remembering how this stuff works. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Pictures aren't loading for me, winde.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 16, 2016, 12:27:50 PM
Pictures aren't loading for me, winde.

Appear fine to me,

Looks Awesome Winde! fantastic work my good man!  ;)

windebieste

windebieste

Thanks. ...and yes, it's coming along fine.  Adding 'Lights' is different to adding 'Lighting'.  Lights are more or less glorified props (with some lighting elements, simply because of their nature).  Lights will help to bring  map to llfe but Lighting is all about altering the mood and giving the environment depth. 

Some lighting tricks regardless of light sources, like leaving lit edges against dark edges - a fundamental aspect of painting - along with subtle changes in color, will help the mood and sell the World as a place. 

Lighting isn't my strong point - but I'll manage.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to wake Psykore out of his creative slumber.  Maybe get him to do some work on this map.  lol.  :laugh: Coz lighting in his maps was always done with Masterful precision. ...and who wouldn't want to see him return to 'AvP2' mapping???

Once the lights are all added (and these aren't by any means finished once the first pass is complete), I'll move onto adding smaller details and props.  Then add sounds. (to really make a map immersive, sounds are more important than graphics.  Despite what anyone else says.).  Then it's onto adding spawn points and pick ups along with other miscellaneous other tasks.  After that, testing. 

There's still a lot of work to do on the map, I'd say about 2 weeks worth at the minimum. 

As far as Skirmish goes, the map has to be completely finished before I add the most rudimentary AI behavior to it.  I'm still considering it as optional at this stage.

-Windebieste.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 13, 2016, 01:08:53 PM
it can be tested in LAN mode you know, doesn't matter how you test it.

@ windie,

Looking good man!

I am aware. I only say that some maps have a good gameplay and some not. the only way to test if the maps are playable or not.
is simply play in a dedicated server maybe with some veteran players.
It would be nice if avpgalaxy.net had his own small server (for test all mods and all maps & skins)

Olde

Olde

Looking good so far.

Agreed with Lucy, having a testing area for the map would be nice.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'd love a server but there's no providers (game's too old) and my own connection is just abysmal.

windebieste

windebieste

My connection is no better and I don't get to LAN parties any more either.  Does anyone ever do those things any more?  So much fun!  Way better than online gaming - which is just cheap lazy compared to the fun of being in the same room as the guy you just pounced on out of the darkness.  LOL.  Good times.  Long gone.

Anyway, this is the first time I've picked up the tools in about 8 years  and I haven't even played the game in about 10.  I understand all the characters abilities but the map will need to be tested with at least 2 players.  I'm sure someone will have access to a LAN or have one at home that can do that.

Getting closer to a test version, too, by the way.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed