New Map: TDM Dry Dock

Started by windebieste, Feb 19, 2016, 06:48:42 AM

Author
New Map: TDM Dry Dock (Read 13,853 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 02, 2016, 09:54:10 PM
   Who said 'AvP2' is dead?  These games never die.

Just scrolled through this thread. You, sir, are a true artist. These screenshots look incredible, gorgeous, whatever complimentary adjective you want to use. Truly outstanding.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I wasn't able to get home last night but I'm looking forward to downloading it later.  ;D

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 02, 2016, 09:54:10 PM

GODDAMMIT! 

A massive polygon isn't being rendered on one of the cranes.  Oh, Hell.  I'm not going to worry too much about it right now unless people want it fixed.  I really don't want multiple different versions of the map being distributed. 

So disappointed I didn't catch that problem.  gah...

-Windebieste.

your suffering will be legendary even in hell!!!!  :D

Don't worry about it man, the map is fine as is, don't stress ! it's good you got a map released! i can't wait to see what maps you will make in the years to come?  ;)

I think i need to make a separate topic of this map so people know where to download it... unless they wanna scroll several pages back all the time.

Cheers
x-M-x

windebieste

windebieste

I WILL ALWAYS BE CURSED!!!!   :'(

The annoying thing about it is there was a previous problem with that crane and I fixed it, checked the location ingame and there was no problem.  Then, for the final compile, the poly dropped out.  I've inspected the .ed file since and found a single vertex that was ever so slightly off the grid.  This stuff has to be 100.0000% accurate and a single vertex misaligned like that will drop the poly.  You can even check it in the .ed file that's included in the release and you'll find one vertex almost on the grid that's causing the problem.  lol.

I have no idea how that misaligned vertex occurred, but it's there. xtralol.

A fresh thread might be a good idea.  Be my guest.  ;D

-Windebieste.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: x-M-x on Jun 03, 2016, 09:16:00 AM
your suffering will be legendary even in hell!!!!  :D
Cheers
x-M-x
yes Cheers in hell

Can't wait to get a server dedicated for test everything.
I have in mind an entire dedicated hell!

to make corrections fix or updates for build a better word we are always in time.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey,

Congratulation W. on the release! It's truly a beautiful map and I'm in heaven by its scale.
I always preferred big and large maps to small one.
And that Nostromo is always heavily impressive!
I like it all! Now we need to set up a big game to be the first to have fun in it!

Spoiler
PS: If it's just a single poly it's no big deal... no I'm kidding, you'll go on the mapper wall of shame for eternity now  ;D
[close]

Olde

Olde

Erm, so...do you want feedback? I'll just give mine regardless. I did a perfunctory test and everything seems to work right. I don't think it can be helped that it favors marines, although jumping from building to building as an alien is pretty fun, yet a death sentence to the marine with falling damage on. The outside is very vertical. It seems to me like there are basically three main indoor areas: a small hive directly beneath the ship, a large hangar bay with lots of stacked boxes, and a large section with ramps leading up to a control panel. I liked how the areas are connected and how they all lead outside on multiple levels. This is definitely a map that requires quite a bit of playing to learn where everything is. The area with the ramps feels very good when playing as a marine but not so much when playing as an alien. The alien instead gets a very long and intricate vent system, which may or may not be accessible to other species, I don't know. The map's size and level of detail makes it look like a showpiece, and I don't know just how effective it will be in actual practice. I can't see it being very effective for fewer than five players. The addition of lots of miscellany such as crates, trucks, and APCs makes the open spaces on the ground feel cramped, even though they're probably placed strategically for cover. Neither the runner nor the drone's pounce distance feels long enough to traverse the outer area quickly, which I suppose doesn't warrant criticism because that's to be expected.

Now for my slight criticisms. I don't know how lights work in AvP2 but I found the boxes emitted from many of the spotlights to be very distracting, especially when I would clearly notice the square end of the spotlight.
Spoiler

[close]
It's especially distracting when there are multiple spotlights in a row, as in the image below.
Spoiler
[close]
Also, the vent textures look very bizarre. I don't know if it's because of a setting I have, but the texture is totally stretched and when you move in the vent, it looks like it doesn't move. This effect actually makes me physically nauseated when I move throughout the vent. I suspect the error (if it indeed is one) might be the result of having a texture that's too big.
Spoiler

[close]
There's this oddity where it looks like the totally wrong texture is to the side (two columns have this problem).
Spoiler

[close]
Then there's this...guess it's supposed to be a joke? I don't really get it.
Spoiler
[close]
I also found the texture of the exterior buildings to be laughably barren. It looks like a map with a placeholder developer texture instead of a final one. It's quite jarring considering the level of detail on the rest of the map.
Spoiler
[close]
Lastly, we get to my most major problem with the map, one that I assume others will have and one that I also assume will not be changed. It's an issue with the limit of how far up an alien can climb the outer buildings. I understand the need to limit the alien height (although naturally it would be fun to be able to climb ridiculously high) because it presents a problem with wall-climbing and jumping outside of the map. However, I don't really like the way that wall-crawling height is limited here. It feels too artificial and arbitrary, the reason being because half the time it's because of invisible walls. I don't even know why you bother to have this gap in the fence when it's just as prohibited for the alien as the rest of the fence, to speak nothing of the comedic way it looks when it breaks off.
Spoiler
[close]
And there are spots where the alien literally spawns in a location with only one way out because the right, left, and backward directions have invisible walls. If those locations are known to marine players, it potentially sets an alien up for an instant spawn kill. Some of the locations of the invisible walls feel arbitrary, as well. For example, the below picture is where an invisible wall starts.
Spoiler
[close]
Again, I realize why making wall-crawl height unlimited is a problem, and also that it's nothing new. Even Depot disallows aliens from climbing on certain walls that should be entirely wall-crawlable because of that problem. However, I think the map would've been improved had there been both a better boundary system (more consistent fence) and more height made available to the alien; I don't understand the need for map makers to try and outdo themselves by making an unrealistically traversed building. Either have the building be entirely usable or scrap it. Don't tease us by showing us what we could have but aren't able to, because honestly it ends up looking like the author didn't try enough.

But overall I liked the map. Hope we can eventually see it with 8+ players because it definitely feels like it needs to be around there for players to consistently be in action.

windebieste

windebieste

Thank you for the feedback. It's always appreciated. 

I'm not making any promises, as far as I am concerned, this item is now behind me.  I may at some point at some SP content to the map.  Not just Skirmish, well, I can add that too; but the map is large enough to accommodate a complete Marine SP experience. 

If - and it's a big 'if' - I return to work on this map once again, I'll address outstanding issues.  I just have too much on my plate at the moment to dedicate my time to making maps like I once did.

All the same, keep the feedback coming.  If I don't know issues require addressing then one thing is for sure - the will never get fixed.  So keep the feedback happening. 

-Windebieste.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey,

@Olde:
Lights are a pain the ass in AVP2. Lithtech of Talon is probably the worse engine I had to play with to date.
That being said, the only tricked I figured to "prevent" this hard edge stop of light is always to make them end on the ground.
That way the light feels "natural" but it's not something you can do for every light.
If you find it very disturbing (I can notice it but it's not that distracting to be frank, I have to pay attention to see it) I suggest you calibrate your monitor, it may help a bit.
I didn't find any issue with the vents, I suspect its due to a mod you're running.
It's the same texture, just a small miss-alignement with an hard shadow that doesn't help at covering the weirdness of this pillar.
The APC door has always looked this way, kind of a joke from Monolith. Maybe they let an internship do it  :D

---

I don't know why people are so obsessed with height.
Alien are really already high on the map. I played it with friends and I can guarantee you, due to the size, it was already hard enough to navigate and find a prey. If you added more height the map would first be unplayable due to the fog visibility blocking (you wouldn't see a thing from the top of the towers) and it would be absolutely impossible to strike since you take about 5 secondes to drop from the top.
The nostromo itself is very very very high compared to the ground, a full vertical pounce can't even reach it!
IMO what's lacking is like depot 2, a death trigger if you go on an adventure behind the fences.
Maybe in a 1.2 version add a full circle fence.  :P

Cya

PS: YES YES YES for DAT SP MAP!

PsyKore

PsyKore

Light rays ("box lights") just need their opacity lowered and the texture properly aligned to the darkest part so they fade out naturally. They don't looks so good with a high opacity. Sounds easy but they can be difficult to get just right depending on the look you're going for. They do look amazing, however, with perseverance.

I know from experience that people find all sorts of defects after you release a map, but if it doesn't detract from the overall experience and gameplay, I don't think it's a big deal. You did awesome work on this map, Winde. Well done!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed