New Map: TDM Dry Dock

Started by windebieste, Feb 19, 2016, 06:48:42 AM

Author
New Map: TDM Dry Dock (Read 13,870 times)

windebieste

windebieste

There's been some interest lately in DeEdit with some people asking questions on these forums and elsewhere.  It has been years - maybe 8 years - since I booted up ye olde toolset for 'AvP2' and I've got to say I've become more than a little rusty.  Anyway, I decided to see if I could actually do anything with the editor.  It's been difficult so far as a lot of the helpful old tutorial sites have shut down and I really have to struggle getting back on my feet with the editor once again.

Slowly, very slowly that is; I am regaining my skills.  Today, I remembered how to carve a Brush. By drawing a line across it (pressing the Spacebar twice) and then cut it in half (Press S).  Yeah, it's basic stuff like that I am trying to remember and start with first.

I decided to go for something relatively simple for this map.  A TDM map as something as demanding as a Single Player map is just outside my ability a the moment.  So I am building a TDM map with a solid central idea featuring a major set piece.  To this end, I decided to use the old Nostromo prefab I used for Herr Alien's 'AvP2: Fortress' mod.  (People here should get a game up and happening using that mod.  He did some great work on it.)  Anyway, the Nostromo is a terrific structure to fit into the center of the map and then build the gameplay around it.  I'm slowly picking up some of my old skills and it's taking time but I'm getting there: 

These screenshots of the map, which I am christening 'TDM_Dry_Dock', are very early in the blocking out stage to figure out pathing and navigation around the map to get it working properly.  Eventually, the map will change significantly during the next days, weeks and months.  I'll post some more work in progress shots at some point in the not too distant future. 

I promise you won't have to wait 8 years for that to happen.   ;)

-Windebieste

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I love the idea of a drydock facility! You should drop in another ship in another location that you can slightly enter that is all hived up and the source of a local infestation.

windebieste

windebieste

I'm keeping the map to a reasonable size.  I'm aiming at making the map fun for 8-16 players.  12 should be optimal. 

By 'AvP2' standards, it will be a decent scale.  The larger the map is, the more players will be needed to make it a fun experience and I don't know how many people still play the game.  I imagine some people do but I have no idea if it will attract a full house.

Besides It's too easy to include too much additional content and have the map blow out to a ridiculous scale.  More importantly, it increases the workload substantially - and I have a number of other important Projects ticking away in the background.  It's one thing I learnt a loooong time ago - keep it clean, compact and disciplined.  As it is, the map already has the Nostromo, which is an enormous set piece. An adjacent 3 storey building to wander around in also accompanies it, along with some small outdoor areas at ground level.   16 players should be about right to max the map out.

Yes.  There will be a hive.  The lowest level of the facility immediately beneath the landing platform will be encrusted with hive material and dripping slime. 

I started this map about a week ago so I still have a long way to go.  Maybe a couple of months before it sees the light of day.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

No worries. I look forward to seeing more.

Is it hard to hive up locations?

windebieste

windebieste

It's no more difficult than adding fine details to any other part of the map.  It's time consuming more than anything else.  The worst part of it involves the need to have all the geometry added to the map and manipulated by hand; each polygon gets added one at a time, then moving each vertex into place and adjusting them to get the desirable organic look.  I've built hives before so I know what to do and how much effort it will take.

Well, that's the theory, anyway.  It's been a long time since I built a hive...

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Awesome.

Let me know when it's ready and i'll get it uploaded/published! also get it in 'UMP3'  ;D

windebieste

windebieste

Ya. I'd figured you'd be interested.   ;D  Of course.  You're welcome to handling the releasing of the map as well as its inclusion in UMP3.    That's a done deal. 

At some point prior to release I'd like to test the map.  Make sure it doesn't glitch, make sure spawn points are all located appropriately, weapon placement is appropriate and balanced, along with navigation and accessibility for all 19 classes, missing polies, wonky geometry, performance optimisation, lighting, texture alignments... and so on and so forth.  I need to Make sure all that dumb stuff is ironed out and the map working properly before release.  Would you be interested in organising such an exercise?

That's still some time away and will happen about week or 2 before the map is ready for public release, but yeah.  It will need testing.

Do you have a deadline for items to be included in the UMP3 Project?  I'd like to be able to meet that goal with you.  That is, if it's not too soon.

-Windebieste.

KingKenny

KingKenny

I'm glad you're back at it. :D

x-M-x

x-M-x

@ Winde,

No deadline or UMP3 at the moment, i'll have to ask him.

Will let you know ASAP

windebieste

windebieste

Thank you.

Slowly getting there.  I had to change the color of the map.  All that orange was hurting my eyes.  There's only a couple of Light and Fog Objects are currently in the map, one being the Sunlight Object that casts shadows and the AmbientLight setting in the World Info box, so changing those values is really easy.  It's also a cheap way to get basic lighting working in a map at this early stage.  I'll add more Light Objects later when I'm ready to work on that feature.  Right now, Blue is nice. 

Taken at ground level, you can see the Nostromo is relatively high off the ground.

This area is very much work in progress, set up for navigation and still needs a ton of work.  More than I'm prepared to talk about right now.

This shot is very similar to the first one in the opening post, but some more details have been added/changed. Handrails, overhead walkway, texture changes, objects in the background. ...so on and so forth.  A lot of changes still to happen.

Right now, the size of the map and all navigation locations are in place and locked.  The map won't change from what it is now (unless testing it proves such to be necessary.).  The next thing is to start the first pass on detailing the map.  This will take some time.

At this stage the map is still in its infancy and still needs tons of work.  It's coming along and taking shape without too much drama. 

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Looks beautiful.

KingKenny

KingKenny

Blue is much better.

PsyKore

PsyKore

I like orange themes, but I think it might just be too saturating. The blue looks really nice!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think the blue looks much better. It's looking so good. I'm getting nostalgic pangs.

windebieste

windebieste

Just a quick update on the progress of this map.  It's taking shape very well.  Added a few more details tonight. 

Here we are, under the Nostromo as it rests on the landing stage.  The ramp leading down will access the hive.

The interior of the building featuring the logistics transfer is also taking shape.

Another shot of the Nostromo.  New sets of pipes, boarding access gantry and other details, including massive dock cranes have been added. 

I haven't made any adjustments to the lighting since last time.  It will be some time before I add that.  Good lighting will totally bring this map together. 

I'll post more screenshots soon.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed