AvPGalaxy Interviews WayForward

Started by ikarop, Sep 15, 2011, 05:13:47 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews WayForward (Read 13,923 times)

ikarop

ikarop

We recently spoke with developer WayForward (with some fantastic contributions from our community) regarding the upcoming game, Aliens Infestation. Click here for the whole interview.

The primary locations are the Sulaco, LV-426, the Derelict ship, the Phobos research facility, and a few other minor locations. But believe me when I say they're pretty massive, especially the Sulaco. We worked off schematics of that ship from James Cameron's film to make a full 1:1 scale Sulaco, with every inch of it explorable (including the exterior).

Aliens Infestation will be in stores on October 11th in the US and on September 30th in Europe for the Nintendo DS. Special thanks to Sega and WayForward for taking the time to chat with us.

newbeing

newbeing

Great interview. I am so pumped for this game!

Ash 937

Ash 937

Yes, excellent interview.  I'm slightly put-off but the admittance that this game can be completed in a day or so.  Still, I think it will be fun to mess around with choosing which characters stay behind and which move forward.  That should be good for a few go-arounds with the whole game.

Now I'm wondering if the ending will be different based on which marines survive and which ones die.

Corporal Hicks

Very good interview. Good work everyone :D I'm really looking forward to this game!

predxeno

predxeno

What's the Phobos research facility? ???

Space Sweeper

...Isn't Phobos the reasearch facility on Mars from Doom?

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 15, 2011, 06:19:38 PM
What's the Phobos research facility? ???
I haven't confirmed it yet. But it might be a tie-in with ACM. From what I heard most of these very early artwork pieces (done by the excellent Craig Mullins) were left out so I'm not sure. I'll ask around. I can confirm tho that both of these concept art pieces from ACM were originally labelled as "Research".

Phobos (Moon of Mars):

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Great interview, thanks for sharing it!

Edit-- if Colonial Marines has you exploring the Sulaco, and so does Infestation, I wonder how well their two depictions of essentially the same exact setting will match up. I mean sure they'll be different since one is a 3D first-person-shooter and the other is a 2D side-scroller, but I wonder if they'll share common design/placement elements.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Not much to see here but we may already have our first glimpse of Phobos.  Nobody needs to dress like this on LV-426, the derelict, or the Sulaco within the time frame of Aliens.

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 02, 2011, 11:51:28 PM
http://gyazo.com/7133c26de02c721a3c91ce504740038a.png

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Interview pointed out that you'll get to go on the exterior of the Sulaco as well, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what was in that screenshot.

SM

SM

I'm not buying "schematics of that ship from James Cameron's film to make a full 1:1 scale Sulaco".  What schematics?

On the other hand I will very likely buy the game.  ;D

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Probably the ones Syd Mead did that the Gearbox guys have talked about, if I'm remembering right.

NUB DESTROYER

Yes, one of the GBX guys said that they were in collaboration with Mead to model the insides of the Sulaco that were were not shown in the films, which implied that the schematics weren't readily available.

Assuming that two companies aren't  cooperating and that GBX paid some sort of consultation fee to Mead for his time, I don't think GBX would easily give up the design to WayForward. But I really don't know if these two companies are cooperating or not.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: NUB DESTROYER on Sep 16, 2011, 03:05:10 AM
Assuming that two companies aren't  cooperating and that GBX paid some sort of consultation fee to Mead for his time, I don't think GBX would easily give up the design to WayForward. But I really don't know if these two companies are cooperating or not.

But does it even matter???  This is a Nintendo DS game, afterall.  The game had a small budget and was made for a screen that is smaller than a business card.  The game will be fun but I don't think it needs to be judged against too much accuracy from the films.  You guys all saw the pic with the "gorilla alien," right?  LOL.

NUB DESTROYER

Hey man Nintendo is serious business. Don't get me started with Pokemon

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed