Ask Bob Greenberger

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 17, 2006, 09:09:04 PM

Author
Ask Bob Greenberger (Read 52,521 times)

bobgreenberger

bobgreenberger

No, they receive very little in the way of reviews both in print and on line.

War Wager

War Wager

Why is that?

bobgreenberger

bobgreenberger

Essentially, media tie-in novels tend to be looked down on by other book readers and reviewers.  We're off in a corner, generating profits and good word of mouth but get no love.  It's one reason we've banded together to form the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers to band together and drum up support.  We even created our own awards, the Scribes, presented at the San Diego Convention in the summer.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Is that the award Beth Christensen has been nominated for? For Casualties of War?

bobgreenberger

bobgreenberger

Yes, it is.

War Wager

War Wager

Would you like to involved in an A/P/AvP movie in any way?

bobgreenberger

bobgreenberger

Good question.  Honestly, I have no aspirations for film or television writing.  They are formats that I find daunting.  Having said that, I actually have notions for two movies and some day I may try my hand at them.

Meantime, I'd love a crack at Alien or another shot at Predator and have made certain my editor is aware of this.

War Wager

War Wager

Write a good AvP script and hand it to Fox fast, before they hire Shane Salerno again!  :P

felix

felix

Mr Greenberger,

I really liked Predator: Flesh and Blood and I also agree about everything you've about movie tie in writers. You guys just don't get enough credit. I am a big movie novelization collector and I feel that Novelizations definitely add a great deal to the richness of movie going. I ususally read the Novelization after I've seen the film to broaden my film knowledge.

The best Novelizations I've read is The Abyss's Novelization by Orson Scott Card and the Alien Series Novelizations by Alan Dean Forster. But the most profilic Movie Tie -in writer is of course your President Max Allan Collins. I am not exactly a big fan of his writing style, but I'll definitely be picking up his Mummy: Curse of the Dragon King and X-Files 2 novelizations later this year.

Thanks!

bobgreenberger

bobgreenberger

Thanks for the kind words, Felix.  For my next trick, in late May, DH Books should be releasing my novelization to Hellboy II:The Golden Army.  Being my first actual novelization, I am hoping I did a creditable job.

Max does his best writing on his own, original fiction.  The novelizations are meat and potatoes writing for him, I think.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

You know, I gotta admit I'm looking forward to TGA. Folk slated Hellboy 1 but I thought it was fantastic! I love del Toro.

felix

felix

Ah yes, I almost forgot that the Golden Army is coming out. I'am definitely going to check up on it. I've read the previous Hellboy novelization by Yvonne Navarro and I am looking forward to your first novelizations. Best of luck to you!

About Flesh and Blood, I liked the way you wrote about the Predator Clan. I grew up on Steve Perry's Yuatja version of Predators. And even though you called them Hish (hate the name), the Predator's characterization is very similar to Mr Perry's.

Is Dark Horse's official name for Predators now "The Hish"? I hope not.

Simbobs12345

Simbobs12345

I am waiting for the library to send Flesh and Blood. What can I expect from it?

episodenone

episodenone

Quote from: bobgreenberger on Apr 10, 2008, 01:34:20 PM
Essentially, media tie-in novels tend to be looked down on by other book readers and reviewers.  We're off in a corner, generating profits and good word of mouth but get no love.  It's one reason we've banded together to form the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers to band together and drum up support.  We even created our own awards, the Scribes, presented at the San Diego Convention in the summer.

funny that you say this.
i once asked Randy Stradley why, despite some SW comics being totally awesome, they NEVER EVER seem to be nominated for any awards anywhere.
he told me, much like you say: "Essentially, media tie-in novels tend to be looked down on by other book readers and reviewers.  We're off in a corner, generating profits and good word of mouth but get no love.  " 
except obviously we were talking about comic books.

there are soooooooooooooooooo many tie-ins in comics!
i wonder if you guys over at International Association of Media Tie-In Writers include comic book writers and artists?

bobgreenberger

bobgreenberger

The IAMTW has indeed discussed encompassing comic book creators since many of us do double-duty.

Nothing definite yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed