The Predator Teaser Trailer Now Online!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 10, 2018, 01:00:32 PM

Author
The Predator Teaser Trailer Now Online! (Read 115,802 times)

Original Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 18, 2018, 11:31:26 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 18, 2018, 11:17:16 AMPretty big difference between an action movie one liner, and dialogue between characters that's clearly constructed to be comedy. Black's definitely more on the second.

The pussy jokes?

Not to mention all the other unintentionally hilarious stuff in the first movie.

Not saying I want an out-and-out comedy, but the first film was hardly Schindler's List in the laughs department.

Can you give some other "unintentionally hilarious stuff" examples?

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Original Predator on May 20, 2018, 11:50:34 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 18, 2018, 11:31:26 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 18, 2018, 11:17:16 AMPretty big difference between an action movie one liner, and dialogue between characters that's clearly constructed to be comedy. Black's definitely more on the second.

The pussy jokes?

Not to mention all the other unintentionally hilarious stuff in the first movie.

Not saying I want an out-and-out comedy, but the first film was hardly Schindler's List in the laughs department.

Can you give some other "unintentionally hilarious stuff" examples?

The whole concept of Old Painless is pretty ridiculous and unintentionally funny. I mean, can you REALLY imagine a soldier humping a Chopper mounted weapon, through the mountainous region of the Central American jungle?

It's not a really practical thing for a spec ops soldier to be hauling in terms of weight distribution and ammo consumption. Especially for that aforementioned terrain in which they were operating.

Huggs

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on May 21, 2018, 12:23:15 AM
I mean, can you REALLY imagine a soldier humping a Chopper mounted weapon, through the mountainous region of the Central American jungle?

That's gonna take some skill, and some serious staying power right there.  :D

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Huggs on May 21, 2018, 12:40:34 AM
Quote from: JungleHunter87 on May 21, 2018, 12:23:15 AM
I mean, can you REALLY imagine a soldier humping a Chopper mounted weapon, through the mountainous region of the Central American jungle?

That's gonna take some skill, and some serious staying power right there.  :D

Well he did say he was a "Sexual Tyrannosaurus". ;) :D

In all seriousness for those who don't know what I mean -

Vietnam-Era Military Verb: To march, walk, hike, or otherwise engage in long distance traveling by foot for the purposes of waging war, moving materials, or bringing the fight to the enemy.

To hump means simply to walk during combat conditions.
We had to hump 8 klicks before sundown and then dig a fox hole before eating chow for the night.

bobcunk

It is possible to carry and fire a minigun by hand but doesnt way like 100lbs and has a huge electric moter and  battery?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on May 21, 2018, 02:30:54 AM

Well he did say he was a "Sexual Tyrannosaurus". ;) :D

True, but he had, you know, the dip. The Snuff. The Chaw. The ol' Lip Sod (as I call it). But just a "peench". He didn't have time for more.

SiL

The minigun isn't really that funny. It's ludicrously over the top, but the general reaction is usually "f**k yeah!" rather than people getting torn out of the film splitting their sides with laughter.

It was also something added during production. In the script, Old Painless is an M60 SAW.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Quote from: SiL on May 21, 2018, 04:08:36 AM
The minigun isn't really that funny. It's ludicrously over the top, but the general reaction is usually "f**k yeah!" rather than people getting torn out of the film splitting their sides with laughter.

It was also something added during production. In the script, Old Painless is an M60 SAW.

It's funny because it's ludacris. I never said it was side splitting comedy. More unintentionally funny because it's ludicrous to think a battery operated, usually helicopter mounted mini gun, would be hauled around as a one man weapon.

Also I disagree that the reactions to that weapon have to be "f**k yeah!". I've watched the film with many different people. The reactions varied, there were some who thought it was both ludicrous (I.e. funny) and cool.

I knew Old Painless was turned into a hand held GE M134 mini gun. I was unaware of the exact weapon it was originally meant to be. Which was it originally? A M60 or a M249 SAW? Mac carries an M60E3, which might have been what Old Painless would've ultimately turned into on screen. Had they not gone with iconic M134.

SiL

I never said the reaction "has to be", I said it generally is. Most people think it's cool. It's over the top and 80s, but people don't generally burst into laughter and get sucked out of the film by the sight of it. I'm not saying nobody does, just it's not what you normally see watching the film with people.

EDIT

Painless was scripted to be the M60 that Mac carries.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Quote from: SiL on May 21, 2018, 04:48:21 AM
I never said the reaction "has to be", I said it generally is. Most people think it's cool. It's over the top and 80s, but people don't generally burst into laughter and get sucked out of the film by the sight of it. I'm not saying nobody does, just it's not what you normally see watching the film with people.

EDIT

I agree,

Also, I didn't mean to say 'has to be'. My point was more that individual viewer reactions vary and weren't as broad as you made it seem. Too clarify my point more. I don't think that, just because some may see Old Painless as ludicrous or unintentionally funny, they're automatically "sucked out of the film" from that point on.

I was just pointing out some point in the original film that could be seen as unintentionally funny. I don't think it makes or breaks the film by its mere existence.

QuoteEDIT

Thanks for the info! I wonder what Mac's weapon would have been in return?

Highland

I don't think you can include the jokes either. The jokes are not just meant to be funny to the audience, in fact I'd say that's not even the primary goal of the jokes. It's to show not only the different type of soldier, but also the relationship between Hawkins and Billy. Then you get the pay off when Billy actually likes one.

It's called character building, it also makes us feel more sorry for Hawkins when he gets diced up.

There's also the tonal balance of the film. It's a big bad ass 80's action shooter, so it works and it kinda still works in movies like the expendables ( although they go to far with it IMO).

OpenMaw

It's also not that far from reality.

They were playing with the idea of a man portable version of the minigun IRL. That's where the idea came from in the first place. The problems with doing so are obvious.

Though we do actually have a proper portable "suit case size" minigun now.

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on May 21, 2018, 05:01:13 AM
Thanks for the info! I wonder what Mac's weapon would have been in return?

M60.

Quote from: Highland on May 21, 2018, 05:02:45 AM
I don't think you can include the jokes either. The jokes are not just meant to be funny to the audience, in fact I'd say that's not even the primary goal of the jokes. It's to show not only the different type of soldier, but also the relationship between Hawkins and Billy. Then you get the pay off when Billy actually likes one.

It's called character building, it also makes us feel more sorry for Hawkins when he gets diced up.

There's also the tonal balance of the film. It's a big bad ass 80's action shooter, so it works and it kinda still works in movies like the expendables ( although they go to far with it IMO).

The movie starts as an action romp. When Hawkins dies pretty much any sense of humour is sapped out of the film in favor of a constant tension that ramps up across the final act.

The point is that the first Predator film did not make goofy comedy takes. It has some funny one liners and a couple jokes, but it stays well clear of falling into farce. It's all about injecting levity into a tense scenario.

Highland

Yeah I agree, It's not a funny film, it just has some light comedy injected into it.

The way Black describes this though, feels more in line with the Marvel movies. If everyone of the cast is firing off one liners it's going to remove that tension. Also I'm praying for no actual joke involving the Predator directly, the kind of stuff I'm talking about is

Predator says something in clicks
Boy - Translates 
Soldier says something
Predator says something
Boy - Translates the joke.

Slowly rocking in corner at the prospect.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

QuoteIt's also not that far from reality.

They were playing with the idea of a man portable version of the minigun IRL. That's where the idea came from in the first place. The problems with doing so are obvious.

Though we do actually have a proper portable "suit case size" minigun now.

It's still very much out of the realm of possibility. They tried mounting the M134 onto the Humvee and couldn't. So the likelihood of seeing a man portable version in reality is still a ways away. Not too mention ludicrous seeing one man using it as if it were possible or practical.

I can't speak to if the Pentagon was thinking about developing a portable handheld M134 in the 80's. But, I'm pretty confident in saying that was not the reason for it's inclusion in the first film. However, I'm open to being corrected.

However, Old Painless is very much the product of its time. Totally 80's machismo to the nth degree.

I don't want anyone to think I dislike Painless. I love it. Just something I figured could be argued as an unintentionally funny aspect that could be found in P1.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed