Concerning the fanbase...

Started by RakaiThwei, Mar 26, 2007, 03:34:07 AM

Author
Concerning the fanbase... (Read 6,806 times)

SM

SM

But wouldn't it be so much more interesting if everyone agreed...

Extroheal

Extroheal

Quote from: Dekapitator on Apr 01, 2007, 09:30:28 AM
It's like:
Member #1: "Predators can change sexes."
Member #2: "No they can't."
Member #3: "They probably can though I'm not so sure."
Member #4: "I only consider the movies canon, so no, Predators can not change sexes."
Member #5: "I agree, they cannot, but not all the movies are canon, AVP isn't."
Member #6: "I believe AVP is canon and Yautjas CAN change sexes."
Member #7: "None of you are correct."
Member #8: "I don't really know what to consider canon and what not to.."
Member #9: "Just consider what you like as canon."
Member #10: "No, that would be chaotic, and way too contradictory."

Get it? Too many different opinions, chaotic.
Ah, now I understand. Well, as my Personal Canon thread has proven, people do have a lot of different personal canons and occasionally it does cause chaos although not as much as you think and it's not a bad thing by any means. There's a lot of disagreement about which version of Alien 3 is canon, whether Alien The Director's Cut is canon and whether the scripts, novelizations and deleted scenes are canon. Some people even refuse to accept Alien Resurrection and AVP as canon.

As for your hypothetical thread; in a real thread people will cite source material and leave it to the reader to decide what to accept. Evidence that Predators change sexes comes from Predator Forever Midnight and evidence that they don't comes from Aliens vs Predator Prey. I have yet to hear of anyone who considers Forever Midnight canon, though. They may also try to argue about why their preferred idea should be accepted as canon and not the other idea. For example, one might say that the Yautja are canon and the Hish are not because there are 3 books detailing the Yautja and only 1 book detailing the Hish, or because ideas from the AvP novel were used in the AVP movie or because the Yautja are simply more popular. The opposing side might say that the Hish are canon because the novel is newer, because the fact that the AvP novels were contradicted means they aren't canon or because the Hish seem more alien which is a good thing.

It might be chaotic but it'll be interesting.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Quote from: SM on Apr 01, 2007, 10:52:59 PM
But wouldn't it be so much more interesting if everyone agreed...

Better if people would just accept what's canon in my opinion. (of course movies that contradict others shouldn't be considered canon) I don't know why anyone would believe the AVP comics to be canon. I can understand they grew up with it, but still... I grew up with TMNT comics but if they turn out not to be canon I can accept it.

EDIT:

Now now.

SM

SM

QuoteBetter if people would just accept what's canon in my opinion.

But why bother?  Point me to a thread where there's raging arguments about what's canon and what isn't.

Extroheal

Extroheal

Quote from: Dekapitator on Apr 02, 2007, 02:22:07 PM
Better if people would just accept what's canon in my opinion.
And whose canon should we accept? There is no official canon. Fox has never made a statement about which versions of movies are canon. We know that Fox doesn't consider the comics and novels canon because they get contradicted but that's all we know.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Quote from: SM on Apr 02, 2007, 11:03:32 PM
But why bother?  Point me to a thread where there's raging arguments about what's canon and what isn't.

It's simply my opinion that it would be better if we wouldn't have many "canons" about 1 thing. (e.g. when someone knows that the comics aren't canon yet they still keep saying/trying to believe they are) I didn't emphasize on raging threads, you don't need a canon discussion to have a raging thread anyway. I just think it would be nicer if canon would be clear to every fan and we wouldn't have many different "canons".

Quote from: Extroheal on Apr 03, 2007, 08:45:44 AM
And whose canon should we accept? There is no official canon. Fox has never made a statement about which versions of movies are canon. We know that Fox doesn't consider the comics and novels canon because they get contradicted but that's all we know.

What kinda canon? -> The one that's logical and doesen't contradict itself.

SM

SM

QuoteI just think it would be nicer if canon would be clear to every fan and we wouldn't have many different "canons".

And my point we don't need a consensus.  We generally get on alright without one.  If someone wants to bring in aspects from what others don't regard as canon, all they have to do is present them as such.  People present stuff from the comics all the time in discussions - but generally preface them with "In the [insert comic series] comics an Alien did
  • ".  If people want to be dismissive, they just say "The comics aren't canon" (which isn't even technically correct but anyway).  Others just involve whatever aspect is mentioned simply for the sake of discussion.

Extroheal

Extroheal

Quote from: Dekapitator on Apr 03, 2007, 12:24:25 PM
What kinda canon? -> The one that's logical and doesen't contradict itself.
Please elaborate. Any canon by definition isn't supposed to contradict itself.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

Quote from: Extroheal on Apr 04, 2007, 04:33:11 AM
Please elaborate. Any canon by definition isn't supposed to contradict itself.

In the case of Aliens and Predators, the movies that do not have continuity errors/contradictions.

Extroheal

Extroheal

Yeah, but who decides whether Alien 3 or Alien 3 Special Edition are considered canon? And there are a few comics, novels and games that don't contradict the movies. Who decides whether they're canon or not? Also, there are some contradictions that are small enough to be ignored like the cryotubes in Alien 3. Who decides which continuity errors can be ignored and which can't? My personal canon is based on the number of reviews a product gets on Amazon.com. Most other fans' personal canon is based on what they like. There is no canon that is completely neutral and unbiased.

KidPresentable

KidPresentable

Quote from: Dekapitator on Mar 26, 2007, 04:46:01 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 26, 2007, 03:34:07 AM
The whole honor thing which was introduced in Predator 2, some people choose to ignore flat out as if it were some bane.

I haven't seen one person who ignored that what has been presented in Predator 2. It's the "Yautja" (what a stupid name) type of honor that we ignore.

QuoteSome people have had issues with females being shown in the possible (but doubtful) Predator 3 movie.

Too much, too much and too much. * How about exploring the Predators' sexuality? The way they mate? Yeaaah, let's bring those burly Pred mommas from the comics to the bigs screen! Let us see them tossing the male Pred around while mating! The male Pred will still remain the ultimate bad ass anyway! (NOT!) Or, how about Predator society being presented in Predator3? Let's see two Predators making their spaceships while one would be telling the other one (in "Yautja" language of course!) "Hey buddy that's not the right wrench!" **...

Sarcasm aside, my point is that if you reveal too much and take away the mystery, what will you have left? I would pick the mysterious Pred from P1, or the belligerent and fascinating hunter from P2 anyday.

QuoteAlso AGAIN with the blooding and rank issues have, people STILL argue and debate about the Yautja being Unbloodeds in P1 (P2 is a different story).

Predator, not "Yautja".

QuoteWhy is the fandom afraid to see hybrids...?

I for one ain't. It would be quite interesting to see a Predator hunt down a predalien.

Quote...and Perry's Yautja aspects taken in film?
* Aspects? To hell with those! Let's see a whole Yautjan story: "Yautja comes to earth to battle the great samurai. Yautja somehow looses and samurai becomes immortal as he eats Pred... sorry, Yautja flesh!" (Hey, the Yautja HAS to loose, that's Hollywood!) **

Sarcasm aside (again), some people just do not like the whole "Yautja" concept. Why not remain with the original? Why change it? You can still bring something new without making such radical and contradicting changes. + The whole "Yautja" thing would only be new on the BIG SCREEN, they're already in the comics. I don't want "Yautjas", I want Predators.

(I hope that what I have written will not offend you in any way.)

Well said. I agree with you 100%.

Dekapitator

Dekapitator

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed