CoolProps Unveil Predator Hound Concept Maquette!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 19, 2019, 09:20:46 AM

Author
CoolProps Unveil Predator Hound Concept Maquette! (Read 14,901 times)

Corporal Hicks

The good folk over at CoolProps and Sideshow Collectibles have been working with the creature effects maestros at Amalgamated Dynamics Inc. to bring an earlier incarnation of their Predator Hounds from The Predator to life in the form of a 1:3 maquette!

Sideshow and CoolProps are proud to present the Predator Hound (ADI Early Concept Design) Maquette.

The Predator Hound appeared with the Assassin Predator in the franchise’s latest movie The Predator. In the movie, in contrast with their fierce looks, their adorable character attracted fans.

studioADI designed the original concept for the Predator Hound and changed the design of the face and dreadlocks from the original design in the movie. CoolProps produced this concept design maquette in collaboration with studioADI.

The maquette features an open mouth head and a closed mouth head for display options.

The Predator Hound concept maquette is now available for pre-order from the Sideshow store for a cool $1,599 (payment plans are available!) and the maquette is expected to ship between September and November of 2020.

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Drukathi

Looks like The Thing.

SuperiorIronman

I'm just gonna say it, I think the dreadlocks did the poor thing a favor. It looks like some in-between stage of the thing and though it was on the nose, I got what it was supposed to be.

The Old One

The Old One

It's horrifying mouth open, and it's got an adorable face otherwise. By no means perfect, but much superior to the film design.

Voodoo Magic

That's definitely a step in a better direction.

Got to be honest, that last pic reminded me of Admiral Ackbar a bit.

Tubecity

Tubecity

It seems like there is a lot of merchandising that's somehow trying to fix that movie or pretend it wasn't as freakin awful as it was. Emissary Preds from Neca, now this. Doesn't it seem weird to market a design that wasn't in the movie and then slap the movie branding on it? Because they would never have been able to bring themselves to make a product directly from the movie design? It's like a merchanising potential salvage operation.

Just do one of the 2010 hound! It was cooler, scarier and just better.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: Tubecity on Jul 20, 2019, 12:28:39 PM
It seems like there is a lot of merchandising that's somehow trying to fix that movie or pretend it wasn't as freakin awful as it was. Emissary Preds from Neca, now this. Doesn't it seem weird to market a design that wasn't in the movie and then slap the movie branding on it? Because they would never have been able to bring themselves to make a product directly from the movie design? It's like a merchanising potential salvage operation.

Just do one of the 2010 hound! It was cooler, scarier and just better.

Merchandise is developed a year in advance so you're going to find some weird instances of things not matching the source. A lot of times merchandisers are given access to an earlier script or given an early version of what something is going to be like to make products off of. And in the case of Neca, there really is no reason they couldn't do the Emissary.
While I can't say for certain, it's entirely possible Neca was already working on the Emissary before they got cut from the film and just released it anyways. And after all it would still fall under The Predator branding even though they are cut from the final film.

There's no limit on the sort of products you can produce barring it getting ran past the license owner and most companies just don't have a broad label or have a reason it would even be necessary. In this case the dog was produced for The Predator, and so it just falls under that branding with the concept art label.

The money has always come from the merchandise. The movies have never had massive success, Alien and Predator have always needed the merchandise to stay afloat and keep them in the public eye. The situation with The Predator is not unique.     

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Jul 20, 2019, 02:52:12 PM

Merchandise is developed a year in advance so you're going to find some weird instances of things not matching the source.

Sometimes. Often not. But it's 56 days away from being one year since The Predator's theatrical release, so I don't see that as germaine here, especially with the Hound.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, I think it's just utilisation of a good design to garner the interest of a serious collector.

JungleHunter87

Looks like The Rancor beast from ROTJ as a dog.

I still prefer the hounds from PREDATORS to these dogs.

Right direction though, better w/o the dreads.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed wholeheartedly, I also prefer the Predators (2010) design but also I see it possibly co-existing with the above one, Kyle Brown's original Hound design and Ken Barthelmey's Hound design.

Voodoo Magic

I don't mind different species of pups.

I've always had a practicality problem with the hound spikes in Predators, so at first site I thought I would prefer The Predator hounds going forward to the hounds in Predators, but repeat viewings squashed that preference.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 21, 2019, 03:59:16 PM
I don't mind different species of pups.

Completely agree. It's a none issue for me. It's just about the designs of the different breeds. I certainly prefer these over the ones in the film *shudders at the dreadlocks*

Kradan

I like colour palette

Tubecity

Tubecity

Regarding the 2010 hounds' antlers/horns/spikes, I never saw that as impractical. Quite the opposite- I always assumed that the Preds bred for long horns precisely because the cheek- and neck-antlers prevent the animals from eating anything on their own. They can't destroy the prey, or at least it's harder for them to rip things to shreds, and, perhaps more importantly, they depend on the Preds for food. So they become trainable and obedient. Maybe the designers didn't intend that but I always assumed they did.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed