Ah, f**k it, it's just Columbo thread now

Started by Kradan, Aug 02, 2021, 05:38:48 PM

Author
Ah, f**k it, it's just Columbo thread now (Read 8,099 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Initially, I wanted to create a thread specifically about Columbo but then decided to broaden the subject 'cause I love Sherlock Holmes too. In fact, I proudly hold the title of a man who read ALL of canonical novels and short stories about Sherlock Holmes written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It's all started in junior/middle school years when I found in my father's collection book with Sherlock Holmes short stories. I was in love ever since. My favourite novel is unsuprisingly The Hound of Baskervilles, favourite short stories - The Man with the Twisted Lip, The Adventure of the Norwood Builder, The Adventure of the Three Students, The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans, The Adventure of the Dying Detective, His Last Bow, The Adventure of the Three Garridebs and some others.  Sherlock Holmes always attracted me as a character who is very cold, closed-off, non-emotional but deep down has a heart of gold. For example, there's a wonderful moment in Three Garridebs when Watson gets shot and Holmes genuinely worried for his life and was ready to shot down the bad guy right there. His constant berating of Watson never fails to bring smile to my face. There's even a joke of Holmes criticising Watson's writing efforts which reaches meta level when you think of it as Doyle making fun of himself. It's a joy to see two men friendship grow throughout the course of the books - even though Watson's severely lacks smarts (in comparison) Holmes learns to appreciate him as a faithul friend. Their final dialogue in His Last Bow (which has wonderful undertones of WWI being around the corner with Holmes spoiling German spy plans included) is a beatiful indication of that

For a long time I had no interest in checking out any other detectives 'cause was confident that Holmes is the best of them all. Probably, 'cause authour himself presents it that way - in the first ever SH novel - A Study In Scarlet Holmes laughs up other contemporary fictional detectives and openly calls them fools (kinda interesting if you consider this Doyle's own opinion). So I thought SH was the best detective genre has to offer ... until recently when I caught Columbo re-runs on TV. I liked it and my appreciation for Lieutenant was growing with each subsequent episode - much so that when re-run ended and I didn't manage to watch all of them I watched every one I missed with my mother (she liked it well enough too) via the help from the Internet. My favourites: Murder by the Book, Any Old Port In a Storm, By Dawn's Early Light, Double Exposure, Double Shock, The Bye-Bye Sky-High IQ Murder case, Columbo Goes To Guillotine, Columbo Cries Wolf, Ashes to Ashes, Columbo Likes the Nightlife. I guess, I dig Lieutenant so much 'cause he's so drastically different  from SH. While Holmes is more of a romantic, somewhat fantastic character Columbo feels much more grounded with his uncamped hair and terrible taste for clothes. I also like that Columbo unlike Baker-Street detecitve has to work within the restraints of police department - he has to follow the procedure and has to catch the murderer even if his feelings more on his/her side than victim's. Whole "reverse" formula is great and allows for some interesting writing. And of course Falk's acting with all his mumblings, "one more thing", 'you know what bothers me?", rarely putting his act aside, constatnt smoking and piercing glaze is wonderfully brings character to life. May he rest in peace

Anyway, that was a way too long intro, but what are your favourite detective stories/books/movies/TV shows etc and why ?

Scratch that, now it's just Columbo thread

Stitch

Bosch. Nuff sed.

[cancerblack]

I like the self aware, noir-pastiche of stuff like the Max Payne games and Sin City comics/films.

Baron Von Marlon

-Monk, tv-series
I love the main character and the actor's performance.

-Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Because I like old cartoons and Bob Hoskins.

-8MM
Basically a Lovecraft story without the supernatural (a quest for forbidden knowledge that'll ruin the person in the end).
Not sure if it's the right term but I love "dark detective" stuff. Supernatural or not.

-Seven
A bit similar to the one above.

-The Maltese Falcon
Don't remember anything but I think it was about Bogart playing a detective looking for a statue.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 02, 2021, 08:51:53 PM
I like the self aware, noir-pastiche of stuff like the Max Payne games and Sin City comics/films.

I played the first one, and I remember that instead of traditional cinematics you had noir comic panels. It was a nice touch. 🕵

Kradan

I need to watch Twin Peaks

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Oh, I also like Psych for the memes, and raw chemistry the lead actors share. Be warned, it's a comedy.

Also wait how the f**k has nobody mentioned The X-Files

Darwinsgirl

For me it's Columbo.

I watched the show when it originally aired. It was part of a three some show series. One week "Columbo" then "McCloud" then the following week "McMillian & Wife". I have all the seasons of Columbo on DVD. Before that some not all on VHS. I also love how on the episodes the supporting actors are recycled into different roles. One time a police officer another episode a hot dog vendor. Kinda like James Cameron has his favorites.  ;)

You have excellent taste in villains Kraden. The episode Jack Cassidy played a magician is one of my favorites. Robert Culp is another one of my favorite actors playing a villain. Favorite episode hard to choose. "Try and Catch Me" one of my all time favorites.

I am a huge X-FILES fan but consider that Science Fiction

The "Endeavour" series for a detective is probably next.

For procedural's  "The Closer" is my all time favorite.

This all began with me watching Basil Rathbone & Nigil Bruce as Sherlock Holmes and Watson. Kraden you would enjoy the CSI season 5 episode 11 "Who Shot Sherlock".

Kradan

Kradan

I really loved Donald Pleasance as Adrian Carsini in Any Old Port In A Storm. It fascinates me how much I liked him as a person even though he commited probably one of the show's most gruesome murders (I find suffocation to be one of the scariest ways to go) His growing friendship with Lieutenant is a joy to watch and final scene is truly beatiful. I can easily see Columbo visiting him in prison

Jack Cassidy as Ken Franklin in Murder by The Book has much more despicable motives (mostly greed) but Cassidy has such a captivating personality that I almost wish he would've gotten away with it. I liked him in Publish or Perish and Now You See Him but unfortunately felt that in the first one his character was kinda shoved to the side by episode's mind-bending plot and the second one didn't make most of magic theme - for example,I wish there had been some ambiguity whether or not he was actually in that box submerged in water. Murder By The Book is all Cassidy and that's why I love it so much

If Columbo had ever needed to have his own Moriarty he would've certainly been played by Robert Culp. I love him in Double Exposure. I love how he's an equal to Columbo in terms of smarts - so much so that Lieutebant essentialy cheats to get him. I don't recall there being single moment when Dr. Keppel was truly caught by suprise by any of Columbo's questions. He's cold and smug but I feel like he earns his smugness (unlike Dale Kingston in Suitable for Framing or Beth Chadwick in Lady in Waiting)

Weirdly enough, I think my enjoyment of Columbo Goes To Guillotine is to a great extent caused by how much Elliot Blake resembles Oram

Or is it just me ?

Spoiler
I also dig his taste for leather:

[close]

Kradan

Did you know that Soviet Sherlock Holmes (played by great Vasiliy Livanov) is the best on-screen portrayal of the character ever ? Even Brits admit it !

Spoiler
At least Russians claim so

Kinda sad that he thinks of Ukranians as fascists and is pro-Putin
[close]

Stitch

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 03, 2021, 10:30:24 AM
Oh, I also like Psych for the memes, and raw chemistry the lead actors share. Be warned, it's a comedy.

Also wait how the f**k has nobody mentioned The X-Files
I love Psych. So disappointed when they took it off Prime. I was halfway through the penultimate season.

Kradan

I want that thing up my wall

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 05, 2021, 04:30:06 PM
Did you know that Soviet Sherlock Holmes (played by great Vasiliy Livanov) is the best on-screen portrayal of the character ever ? Even Brits admit it !

https://n1s1.starhit.ru/50/91/be/5091be57bfbb72027e1c530c6b34b692/600x400_0_d5aed6f8e34924a0cdc2e0e2189a012b@600x400_0xac120003_19077964551563273082.jpg

Spoiler
At least Russians claim so

Kinda sad that he thinks of Ukranians as fascists and is pro-Putin
[close]

He looks a bit like Alec Guinness.

Kradan

Ben Kenobi looks weird without facial hair

Kradan

Started watching Twin Peaks. That does count as a detective story, right ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed