The Return of Newt, Ripley & AvP? Performer Breanna Watkins talks "The Predator"

Started by Voodoo Magic, Apr 30, 2021, 11:11:32 AM

Author
The Return of Newt, Ripley & AvP? Performer Breanna Watkins talks "The Predator" (Read 5,943 times)

SiL

The first AvP introduced a shitload of people to the franchises and generated a lot of profitable merchandise. I remember in high school half my class decided to watch the originals because of the trailers on TV.

It was also the highest-selling DVD of all time and most pirated movie for a while when it hit home release.

It might have not done much reputation-wise in terms of film quality, but for the franchises as a whole, it was a hell of a boost.

BlueMarsalis79

I liked it as a kid for sure, although even then I did not dig the way the Aliens and Predators looked, but still that ending created possibilities and then Requiem killed the near entirety of goodwill I held towards that incarnation of AVP.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 30, 2021, 03:52:47 PM
However, I still would like to see these alternative endings just for the curiosity's sake

Maybe the alternate endings can find their way in comic book form. I mean, you never know 🤔

BlueMarsalis79

The Necronoir

I was discussing this with a couple of friends last night, and how this whole concept is the perfect example of a "MacGuffin" (i.e. a plot device that is integral to pushing the story forward, but has no significance in itself). When the contents itself was bouncing back and forth between such wildly different things it's clear that the nature of what's in the pod isn't really important to the story at all - just keeping it from the other side.

I'll never understand why they didn't go with Royce and/or Isabelle from Predators. Both of them have already earned the moniker "predator-killer" by the end of that movie, and it would tie things up nicely to have them finally transported back to earth. A core aspect of most of the good Predator stories has always been that human resilience and ingenuity are the key to overcoming predator physical and technological superiority so I like the idea of Royce and/or Isabelle simply bringing their knowledge of predator weaknesses back to earth and training people up.

Local Trouble

QuoteSpeaking from my own personal opinion I really wish they hadn't killed off Newt in Alien³... it was heart breaking for me and I know many others share this opinion as well.

Sounds like it upset her.

Voodoo Magic

You're like a dog with a none, Local.  :laugh:

Quote from: SiL on Apr 30, 2021, 10:51:15 PM
The first AvP introduced a shitload of people to the franchises and generated a lot of profitable merchandise. I remember in high school half my class decided to watch the originals because of the trailers on TV.

It was also the highest-selling DVD of all time and most pirated movie for a while when it hit home release.

It might have not done much reputation-wise in terms of film quality, but for the franchises as a whole, it was a hell of a boost.

Hmm. I believe the DVD debuted #1 here is the U.S., but never came close to being the highest selling DVD "of all time". I actually don't even recall it even cracking the year's top-10 dvd sales that year, but maybe it did in your neck of the woods?

But film quality was what I meant. The premise got them to through door but the film didn't make them want to stay. Was an opportunity missed imo. First impressions especially with an easily dismissed "versus" license can be everything.

Quote from: The Necronoir on May 01, 2021, 03:49:42 AM
I was discussing this with a couple of friends last night, and how this whole concept is the perfect example of a "MacGuffin" (i.e. a plot device that is integral to pushing the story forward, but has no significance in itself). When the contents itself was bouncing back and forth between such wildly different things it's clear that the nature of what's in the pod isn't really important to the story at all - just keeping it from the other side.

Yeah, something to help humanity fight a Predator invasion certainly gives you a plethora of options.

QuoteI'll never understand why they didn't go with Royce and/or Isabelle from Predators. Both of them have already earned the moniker "predator-killer" by the end of that movie, and it would tie things up nicely to have them finally transported back to earth. A core aspect of most of the good Predator stories has always been that human resilience and ingenuity are the key to overcoming predator physical and technological superiority so I like the idea of Royce and/or Isabelle simply bringing their knowledge of predator weaknesses back to earth and training people up.

Yep, a lot of us felt they could have went this way, with either Royce or Isabelle! Who knows, perhaps they asked both actors and after reading the script (like Arnold) they declined. But from our current vantage point, It does seem like another missed opportunity. :-\

The Necronoir

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 01, 2021, 12:11:25 PM
QuoteI'll never understand why they didn't go with Royce and/or Isabelle from Predators. Both of them have already earned the moniker "predator-killer" by the end of that movie, and it would tie things up nicely to have them finally transported back to earth. A core aspect of most of the good Predator stories has always been that human resilience and ingenuity are the key to overcoming predator physical and technological superiority so I like the idea of Royce and/or Isabelle simply bringing their knowledge of predator weaknesses back to earth and training people up.

Yep, a lot of us felt they could have went this way, with either Royce or Isabelle! Who knows, perhaps they asked both actors and after reading the script (like Arnold) they declined. But from our current vantage point, It does seem like another missed opportunity. :-\

If they're prepared to slap a RIPLEY nametag onto a stand-in actor and just obscure her face, why not do the same with Royce, Isabelle, or hell even Dutch, though? Then just cut around any front-on shots and use a sound-alike for a line or two. Anything is got to be better than what we got, not to mention what they were planning.

TBH, if they couldn't settle on a worthwhile idea I'd prefer they cut away as the pod opens and just focus on their stunned reactions. That way you can either pick it up in a sequel and finally reveal who or what it was, or just leave it a mystery. If someone did a fan edit like that I'd be all over it.

Corporal Hicks

I'll never understand why they didn't go with Royce and/or Isabelle from Predators. Both of them have already earned the moniker "predator-killer" by the end of that movie, and it would tie things up nicely to have them finally transported back to earth. A core aspect of most of the good Predator stories has always been that human resilience and ingenuity are the key to overcoming predator physical and technological superiority so I like the idea of Royce and/or Isabelle simply bringing their knowledge of predator weaknesses back to earth and training people up.

When that pod started opening, I really thought we might be getting some stealth cameo from Adrien Brody. Was the only thing that made sense to me at the time.

Thanks to Voodoo for conducting this interview, and thanks to Breanna for taking the time to talk to him. Really interesting to hear a little more about what the alternatives were. Opinions on the film aside, I do hope we get to see more of the deleted scenes at some point!

Immortan Jonesy

I'll never understand why they didn't go with Royce and/or Isabelle from Predators. Both of them have already earned the moniker "predator-killer" by the end of that movie, and it would tie things up nicely to have them finally transported back to earth.

Yeah, it makes more sense and is much more interesting. A MacGuffin with a more healthy payoff, I mean I like AVP but this is not the way. An alternate ending that tests the Predator mythology itself and not the neighboring IP / crossover. I join Voodo's doubt about whether they asked the actors, and they declined. Although two highly popular Alien characters + AVP sound way more tempting.  :laugh:

Local Trouble

I'm legitimately unsure as to whether you meant "nun" or "bone" there.

SiL

Hmm. I believe the DVD debuted #1 here is the U.S., but never came close to being the highest selling DVD "of all time". I actually don't even recall it even cracking the year's top-10 dvd sales that year, but maybe it did in your neck of the woods?
Relying on 15 year old memories doesn't seem to be serving me well; I remember it doing well on home sales, but can't find the figures. And you're right. It wasn't top ten in 2005.

Did find that AvPR made $28m on dvd though :laugh:

QuoteThe premise got them to through door but the film didn't make them want to stay. Was an opportunity missed imo. First impressions especially with an easily dismissed "versus" license can be everything.
Many users on this site are here because of the first AvP movie introducing them to the franchises. The advertising was considerable. It was very popular with teenagers on release and introduced a new generation of fans who have remained active ever since.

Unless you're talking about making people want to stay for AvP specifically. No arguments there. But it genuinely generated a lot of new life long fans in a way that I don't think any of the movies since have managed.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2021, 08:30:07 PM

One would lead you inexorably...to ze next.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 30, 2021, 05:13:52 PM
Of course the next effort to revive AvP appeared to be the Netflix animated AvP series, which got squashed too with the acquisition reportedly. So the hits just kept on coming.

kwisatz

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2021, 08:30:07 PM

:laugh:

Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed