New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 118,130 times)

Corporal Hicks

For sure. Both made good use of their budgets (AvP especially) - but they were made on the cheap.

seattle24

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 24, 2021, 09:57:33 AM
For what it's worth - what we've heard of the budget isn't really cheap. If what we've heard is true, it's not being made on the AvP/R/Predators cheap.

If what you've heard is right that's really good news. I had it in my head this would be a 25/35 million dollar flick. If it's potentially double that, I think the filmmakers could do a helluva lot with that.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 24, 2021, 09:03:46 AM
A cast of relative unknowns doesn't automatically mean the acting will be crap.

I would believe relatively unknowns seem to go with the territory with what appears to be an entirely native American cast.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 23, 2021, 08:12:48 PM
I fear a Syfy channel type of cast now, hope I'm wrong.

Truth be told, this is the fear that instilled in me while researching Amber's performances. Watching her took me back to the television show Marvel's Agents of Shield, where I kept getting frustrated when every week's new guest star could act ten times better than the show's young and beautiful cast. But who cares! They're hot! :-\

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 24, 2021, 12:22:49 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 23, 2021, 08:12:48 PM
I fear a Syfy channel type of cast now, hope I'm wrong.

Truth be told, this is the fear that instilled in me while researching Amber's performances. Watching her took me back to the television show Marvel's Agents of Shield, where I kept getting frustrated when every week's new guest star could act ten times better than the show's young and beautiful cast. But who cares! They're hot! :-\

Exactly. I can't wait to know who will be announced next, see if fear is legitimized.

happypred

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 20, 2021, 07:59:27 PM

Have to disagree also.

Wolf looks, moves and acts like utter shit. Goes double for the Aliens. At least the (awfully acted) human scenes are vaguely reminiscent of stuff like The Blob or Critters.

Wolf looked and moved much better than the trio in AvP1. He looked great with his mask on, and he didn't feel bulky and lumbering like the AvP youngbloods.

Alien fans dislike Wolf because he waltzed through double-digit xenomorphs and made them look weak in comparison. The frustration is understandable, as Requiem's fight storyboards were very poorly thought-out...the double neck-choking scene in the sewer was particularly egregious.

But if you look at Requiem and The Predator holistically (not just through the lens of "did it make my Aliens look impotent"), the former is a deeply flawed movie...the latter intentionally made a joke out of the source material. The bizarre global warming/autistic DNA angle, Traeger blowing off his own head, the two impaled jokers shooting each other, and predator Lassie were worse than any eye-rolling teen-drama scene in Requiem.

SiL

Most Predator fans seen to acknowledge Wolf only made it as long as he did because the Aliens did nothing. He didn't make the Aliens look bad; they made him look good.

Corporal Hicks

I find the early sequences with Fugitive fair more entertaining than anything Wolf did in Requiem.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: happypred on Jun 23, 2021, 05:43:44 AMAlien fans dislike Wolf because he waltzed through double-digit xenomorphs and made them look weak in comparison.

I'm an Alien fan, and I dislike Wolf because he was a moron. He had one job, he utterly failed at it, and he just made things consistently worse throughout the movie with his incompetence. But yeah, let's call him a badass.

Like SiL says, people don't disregard Wolf because he wades through Aliens like they're wet cardboard, what pisses many of us off is the fact the Aliens are portrayed as wet cardboard. Seriously, every time ol' Wolfie grabs one to strike a silly pose it completely forgets it has claws, teeth and a tail with which it could lash out and just hangs there doing nothing for the photo op. It's like watching someone beat up a guy in a wheelchair.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 23, 2021, 07:50:55 AMI find the early sequences with Fugitive fair more entertaining than anything Wolf did in Requiem.

Word.

BlueMarsalis79

Either way you pick a film in on the joke, or one that thinks it's the greatest thing since the original classics, what one you find more entertaining's up to you but one of them's the worst film in either franchise.

I find the crossover a hair more insufferable personally because when it comes to endearing people on screen, and continuous story absurdities, with over the top action The Predator wins.

The one good thing about Requiem being it's got the decency to make itself inconsequential by the ending, but otherwise it is the lowest either franchise has ever been brought, there's not an element of it that's not a disgrace.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: happypred on Jun 23, 2021, 05:43:44 AM
Wolf looked and moved much better than the trio in AvP1. He looked great with his mask on, and he didn't feel bulky and lumbering like the AvP youngbloods.

Yes! 100% Agreed.

QuoteAlien fans dislike Wolf because he waltzed through double-digit xenomorphs and made them look weak in comparison. The frustration is understandable, as Requiem's fight storyboards were very poorly thought-out...the double neck-choking scene in the sewer was particularly egregious.

But if you look at Requiem and The Predator holistically (not just through the lens of "did it make my Aliens look impotent"), the former is a deeply flawed movie...the latter intentionally made a joke out of the source material. The bizarre global warming/autistic DNA angle, Traeger blowing off his own head, the two impaled jokers shooting each other, and predator Lassie were worse than any eye-rolling teen-drama scene in Requiem.

As the first Predator-over-Alien fan to reply to you  :laugh: I agree with all of this.

Yes, from my point of view, it's been my experience that a lot of Xenofans felt the Aliens were deeply disrespected in AvPR. Even in the context of Wolf being 10 times the Colonial Marine in agility, strength, endurance, ability and its understanding of the opponent, Wolf grabbing their necks and expressing his dominance was just too over-the-top to dismiss. And I get that.

Then, as with anything we like or dislike and feel passionately about, we forgive or find its faults accordingly. What follows is Wolf didn't do anything, or is an idiot, or events would have occurred with out him is just stuff I person waive off considering the passion involved, and therefore put less weight into than stuff like Indiana Jones doesn't matter in his own Raiders of the Los Ark movie.

To me AvPR is like a b midnight popcorn cheesy monster movie. It's an AvP comic with the depth of the paper it's printed on (we all read one of those). Technical issues aside, it's up to the individual to be able to have fun with it. Some will debate which movie is better, AvPR or The Predator, who am I to say one answer is right? However, I do agree that, in regards to being respectful to the Predator (not Alien) character and existing lore, AvPR beats The Predator hands-down, by a mile.

Just my two cents. :)

BlueMarsalis79

I know three Predator fans first and foremost that can't stand it, one's never seen any Alien films, one likes all the rest of them to varying degrees including AVP, and the other only really likes the first two of each series but does not hate the ones beyond that apart from the AVP films and The Predator.

So I'd not say that's always the case.

goose_3387

goose_3387

I'll always be a fan of Wolf. A great design and Ian Whyte played the character perfectly. Despite his plot armour he still felt like a proper Predator. Wolf was let down by the shit show surrounding him.

The same can't be said for The Predator. A big CGI mess of a Predator looking to extract DNA from autistic children. Absolute tripe! And all the other crap that film threw at us!

Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 23, 2021, 05:51:13 PM
I'll always be a fan of Wolf. A great design and Ian Whyte played the character perfectly. Despite his plot armour he still felt like a proper Predator. Wolf was let down by the shit show surrounding him.

The same can't be said for The Predator. A big CGI mess of a Predator looking to extract DNA from autistic children. Absolute tripe! And all the other crap that film threw at us!

Just to clarify - both films are bad. I just find more enjoyment from AVPR (as little as it may be) when Wolf is on screen. Made for some great collectibles of Wolf too.

Kradan

I like Fugitive but the way he was offed in the movie f**king sucks

I don't like most of AVPR but surely can dig Wolf (looks, gadgetery, body language)

Voodoo Magic

He can correct me here if I'm mistaken, but I believe if we look at what happypred said, it was less a straight AvPR versus The Predator standard run-of-the-mill film comparison, but rather paying heed to the extra negative weight with The Predator for being flippant to the source material.

SiL

AvPR is inept, but at least it doesn't act like it's embarrassed to be what it is. The Predator can't take itself seriously and had to keep acknowledging how ludicrous everything is like it feels that will protect it from criticism.

See also, Jurassic World, Halloween 2018.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed