New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director!

Started by Whos_Nick, Nov 20, 2020, 08:19:51 PM

Author
New PREDATOR Movie in the works from 10 Cloverfield Lane Director! (Read 117,478 times)

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 11:03:42 PM
Quote from: Sol on Dec 02, 2020, 10:56:52 PM
Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 10:54:40 PM
Because the big bad is vanquished by the hero in the end. That doesn't mean bad stuff doesn't happen earlier. If it didn't, there'd be no triumph in the victory.

What does that have to do with Disney moving forward? And that in itself is a product of the time, and the kind of story they were telling.

It is not a retroactive telling of how Disney would handle the project moving forward. It's not even being published by Disney.
Product of its time? The last movie came out two years ago and once again features the protagonists victorious.

Where's the idea coming from that the general "mature" audience wants to see the protagonists fail?

Well first, find where I said that. Then we can continue this convo. It appears you are arguing with something someone else said.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Sol on Dec 02, 2020, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Dec 02, 2020, 07:42:49 PM
Don't think most studios, especially Disney, would make a movie where the audience gets invested in the protagonist only for him/her to get his/her spine ripped out in the end. I mean, who would that please, other than that one really hardcore predator fan sitting in the crowd?

Not sure where this thought process is coming from. This won't be a Disney branded project. Not sure what sense you think it would be for them to not make this film appeal to the mature audience it's always been aimed for.
You replied to someone saying they wouldn't end it with the protagonist dying horribly by asking why they wouldn't "make this film appeal to the mature audience is always been assigned for."

Reads like you're saying that ending is what would appeal to a mature audience.

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 11:16:39 PM
Quote from: Sol on Dec 02, 2020, 08:52:20 PM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Dec 02, 2020, 07:42:49 PM
Don't think most studios, especially Disney, would make a movie where the audience gets invested in the protagonist only for him/her to get his/her spine ripped out in the end. I mean, who would that please, other than that one really hardcore predator fan sitting in the crowd?

Not sure where this thought process is coming from. This won't be a Disney branded project. Not sure what sense you think it would be for them to not make this film appeal to the mature audience it's always been aimed for.
You replied to someone saying they wouldn't end it with the protagonist dying horribly by asking why they wouldn't "make this film appeal to the mature audience is always been assigned for."

Reads like you're saying that ending is what would appeal to a mature audience.

So I never said it. What I was stating was Disney is not going to interfere with this production, in some effort to lighten it up. Which unless we are all 12, shouldn't have to be stated.

I simply stated I would like to see something different. Because clearly rehashing the first film isn't doing the franchise any favors.

SiL

What you argued was they wouldn't stop that ending from happening to "appeal to the mature audience". The post never said the rest of the movie would be sanitised, just that it was unlikely to have such a bleak end.

But I get your point. Disney won't have its name anywhere near it - but that doesn't mean the Fox subsidiary would risk such a down note end. It's more an Alien thing.

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2020, 11:42:46 PM
What you argued was they wouldn't stop that ending from happening to "appeal to the mature audience". The post never said the rest of the movie would be sanitised, just that it was unlikely to have such a bleak end.

But I get your point. Disney won't have its name anywhere near it - but that doesn't mean the Fox subsidiary would risk such a down note end. It's more an Alien thing.

I don't know what they [FOX] would like to happen. I know what I would like to see however, and that is a subversion of the expected ending we have already seen four times now

Immortan Jonesy

Because the big bad is vanquished by the hero in the end. That doesn't mean bad stuff doesn't happen earlier. If it didn't, there'd be no triumph in the victory.

What does that have to do with Disney moving forward? And that in itself is a product of the time, and the kind of story they were telling.

It is not a retroactive telling of how Disney would handle the project moving forward. It's not even being published by Disney.
Product of its time? The last movie came out two years ago and once again features the protagonists victorious.

Where's the idea coming from that the general "mature" audience wants to see the protagonists fail?

Because it's Gritty

and mature people must like gritty, unhappy and gray things  :laugh:

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 03, 2020, 12:12:45 AM

Because it's Gritty

That's really more of a teenager thing.

t. 30-something year old teenager.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 03, 2020, 12:45:17 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 03, 2020, 12:12:45 AM

Because it's Gritty

That's really more of a teenager thing.

t. 30-something year old teenager.

Oh I know  ;D

Sol

I'm kind of confused here.

BigDaddyJohn

Everyone wants something a little different than the original formula without betraying the spirit, it's a normal thing when expecting a new movie.

I'd like to see the return of more horror/tension like probably all of us here, keep the gore but not in a cartoonish way like the last movie, way less humor (not zero though), and maybe a more mystical approach of what the predator is for the protagonists, through their culture and beliefs.

Seems like the perfect setting for that IMO.

Master

All good points BDJ and they can make wonderfull things with wildlife in such setting.

Highland

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 02, 2020, 02:33:17 PM
My apologies, I don't mean to come off that way, genuinely.

I just don't see any real difference between something like this and the original film. In either situation, be they Comanche warriors or Dutch's team, the Predator could kill all of them in a matter of minutes if it chose to just sit in the trees, cloaked, and fire its plasma cannon at them one by one. That's just kind of baked into these movies. Dutch and his guys' weapons were all essentially ineffective, as they couldn't land a shot to save their lives, and the Predators like toying with their prey which inevitably leads to their downfall as the hero character taps into their inner primal nature, rather than their technology, and uses that to come out on top.

To me, this seems like a neat concept to just scrap the superfluous "modern" technology right from the start. And because the human characters here will be starting from a slightly lesser playing field weapons wise, that will likely ramp the tension up more.   

It's all good. I think what I'm basically getting at is - imagine it's Terminator. Terminator 1 continually ramps up to Terminator 18 with things getting bigger and badder every time.

This is pretty much the way they've handled predator. Will it work going back to Terminator 1? I think I'd love it personally, but it might be a hard sell on the audience's these days. Especially in terms of trailers etc.

It's almost going to have to be sold as a horror movie.

Stitch

Quote from: Highland on Dec 03, 2020, 11:30:36 AMIt's almost going to have to be sold as a horror movie.
To be honest, that might be the best idea for a predator movie now. We've had humanised predators, and super predators, and hybrid predators, and it just dilutes the impact of the creatures. Make it a horror movie where the antagonist is a predator, and you might just find an audience.

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Dec 03, 2020, 11:30:36 AM
It's all good. I think what I'm basically getting at is - imagine it's Terminator. Terminator 1 continually ramps up to Terminator 18 with things getting bigger and badder every time.

And each movie arguably getting worse after the second.

Going back to basics has worked for a lot of franchises in the last decade or so, especially in the action/horror genres. Halloween is one recent example. The idea that it always needs to get bigger and badder with no regard to telling a good story at its heart has only lead to increasingly disappointing movies.

They can 100% take it back to basics and get the general audience excited by putting together a great story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed