Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 08:52:31 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel (Read 104,027 times)

Ultramorph

They probably also want to avoid spoiling elements of the story that will probably be left ambiguous in the film.

echobbase79

Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2017, 01:40:09 AM
Film was supposed to be originally released in August.

I'm guessing the prequel may have come out prior to this, then the novelisation would follow the film.  The change in release date may have swapped the writing and release schedules around.

I didn't know that. Hopefully, that means the studio thinks they have a winner on their hands.

Russ840

Really excited about this prequel novel. I have not long listened to the audiobook of Alien by ADF and will be listening to Aliens shortly. Really enjoyed the way he writes. Will also be great to find out what happens between Prometheus and Covenant. Assuming that is what it will be covering.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Mar 06, 2017, 01:40:09 AM
Film was supposed to be originally released in August.

I'm guessing the prequel may have come out prior to this, then the novelisation would follow the film.  The change in release date may have swapped the writing and release schedules around.

I think this is likely to be the real reason.

As long as it gives ADF adequate time to put together a good book, I really don't mind. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Samhain13

Since its a prequel, it could be about David's arrival on the planet... what he was doing up until the events on Alien: Covenant.

That would be cool.

Corporal Hicks

I expect that's what it's going be about. I'm sure ADF had plenty of questions of his own about Shaw and David's time alone  when working on the film novelization.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 06, 2017, 02:32:37 PM
Since its a prequel, it could be about David's arrival on the planet... what he was doing up until the events on Alien: Covenant.

That would be cool.
Frankly I'd be surprised if it's anything other than that. I mean, backstory on the prior lives of the Covenant crew is likely not particularly interesting, or at least nowhere near as interesting as what David and Shaw did in between movies.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BountyHunter on Mar 05, 2017, 11:52:16 PMSeptember 26th for the PREQUEL novel? What the hell? Why release a prequel story after the main story? You release it shortly before the movie comes out or at least at the same time as the movie. 

Four months after? That's called dropping the ball. I hope that date is wrong.

Just because the story's set beforehand, that doesn't mean it wouldn't still make sense to release after the film.

What if it reveals story details that are meant to be a plot twist in the film?

In fact, the very definition of a prequel is a story that is released later but takes place earlier.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 07, 2017, 04:26:29 AM
Frankly I'd be surprised if it's anything other than that. I mean, backstory on the prior lives of the Covenant crew is likely not particularly interesting, or at least nowhere near as interesting as what David and Shaw did in between movies.

More to the point, backstory on the crew members is something you'd expect to find in the novelisation of the film rather than the prequel (unless those characters are somehow important to the prequel).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

According to the Bug Hunt preview, the prequel novel is called Origins.

https://books.google.com.sg/books?id=KZyPDgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks to felix for the notice.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

As good a title as any, I suppose. Little generic though.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 05, 2017, 09:00:06 AM
As good a title as any, I suppose. Little generic though.
It just reeks of downright laziness if you ask me.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Yeah, that's pretty weak. I'd wager the book was named by a Fox suit, and not by ADF.

Corporal Hicks

May 1st update from ADF's website.

QuoteAs for ALIEN:ORIGINS, the original novel that fits chronologically between PROMETHEUS and AC, in it I hope to have been able to have added a tiny bit to the canon. As always, I work as a combination author and fan, and I think (I hope) that comes through in the finished work.

hfeldhaus

When is it released?

Corporal Hicks

September time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed