Predator: Concrete Jungle - comic or novel?

Started by EJA, Apr 29, 2020, 03:01:26 PM

Author
Predator: Concrete Jungle - comic or novel? (Read 2,097 times)

EJA

Which is better, the original comic book of Concrete Jungle from DH, or Nathan Archer's prose novel version? I know there are some differences between the two. For one thing, in the comic, just two years have passed since the first movie and Dutch never returned home from it, while in the novel it's more like eight years, and Dutch did come back and see his brother, and then vanished without a trace.

Xiggz456

I probably prefer the comic but I wasn't a huge fan of Nathan Archer's prose. And I really don't remember much difference between the two other than minor changes. But I'd still recommend reading both for completionists sake.

SuperiorIronman

I'm mostly a comic reader anyways so I'm a little more biased towards that medium. That being said I did enjoy both of them and couldn't recall that many differences between them.

I prefer comics but I'd say both renditions are on par with each other it just depends what you're looking for.

SpaceKase

Quote from: EJA on Apr 29, 2020, 03:01:26 PM
Which is better, the original comic book of Concrete Jungle from DH, or Nathan Archer's prose novel version? I know there are some differences between the two. For one thing, in the comic, just two years have passed since the first movie and Dutch never returned home from it, while in the novel it's more like eight years, and Dutch did come back and see his brother, and then vanished without a trace.

eh, the time period of the original comic for Concrete Jungle is up for debate, depending on which source you're taking it from.

Kradan

I find comic to be more enjoyable 'cause art is soooo good.

Also, for some reason I found novelisation to be pretty depressing read.

EJA

Original comic series was in 1989, two years after the first film. The novel versions of Concrete Jungle and Cold War bump the date up to the mid-90s. Also, the third comic book series, Dark River, is entirely ignored.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: EJA on Apr 30, 2020, 09:28:18 AM
Original comic series was in 1989, two years after the first film. The novel versions of Concrete Jungle and Cold War bump the date up to the mid-90s. Also, the third comic book series, Dark River, is entirely ignored.

The comic was definitely not just two years after the first film, that's for certain.

It's funny, we were literally discussing this yesterday on another thread.  :)  Here was my case for 1991:

Yeah, when Rasche says "Christ, it was hot. Hotter than the Summer of 91" its confusing, because he seems to be speaking of it being hotter today than it was in the 1991, even though it's both said in past tense. But then Rauche tells the story of what happened in past tense. "There was nothing romantic that summer." Is he talking about that hot Summer of 1991 or a more current summer?

What has me stick with 1991 is two things. The latest / top of Rauche's back tax returns is 1990. In America the newest is always a year behind.

And then Schaefer says 3 years back Dutch went missing. Often when people count years, they don't count the one they are usually in.

I think it would be less complicated if instead of "Christ, it was hot" in the beginning, he started with "Christ, it's hot" or "there was nothing romantic that summer of '91."  But alas...

But that's why I roll with 1991.  :)

EJA

The reprint changes the '91 to '87.

One of the biggest problems I have with this series is that it features Predator ships decloaking and landing in the middle of New York in broad daylight, and an army of Predators openly fighting in the streets with cops and gangsters in front of dozens of bystanders. Yet this is all somehow forgotten about later, which would absolutely never happen.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: EJA on Apr 30, 2020, 12:32:11 PM

But the reprint still has Dutch in the jungle three years back and the 1990 tax return, so it's doing all kinds of conflicting. I'll stick with the original.  :)

Kradan

One of the biggest problems I have with this series is that it features Predator ships decloaking and landing in the middle of New York in broad daylight, and an army of Predators openly fighting in the streets with cops and gangsters in front of dozens of bystanders. Yet this is all somehow forgotten about later, which would absolutely never happen.

Yeah, this part was particularly bullshitty.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah I remember when I first read the comic and thought it was awesome back in the day, that TPB cover art by Den Beauvais is still amazing. But as time went on the story-line bothered me more and more, didn't seem to get any better with the sequels either imo.

I will say that I really wish DH would recolor 70% of their predator comics from the early 90's. Some of the art is just excellent but the colors don't do it any favors.

Wysps

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 30, 2020, 01:34:19 PM

Yeah, this part was particularly bullshitty.

Then again, it did almost happen in The Predator, albeit in a round-about way...

Kradan

I don't get it. Could you explain please ?

EJA

Cold War and Dark River were the only other comics to reference the New York incident in Concrete Jungle. Everything else pretty much ignored it, and understandably, as it doesn't really fit with the overall continuity. But now Hunters III has brought back Detective Schaefer.....

FatStu

When it comes to questions like this - I read whatever incarnation it was first published in. If I can. I have read the Nathan Archer book - but to me the comic is where it's at.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed