Blomkamp says NO to Shared Alien-Predator universe!

Started by RakaiThwei, Mar 06, 2015, 04:32:31 AM

Author
Blomkamp says NO to Shared Alien-Predator universe! (Read 7,410 times)

RakaiThwei

So for everyone thinking that we may be getting a shared Alien-Predator universe, with the possibility of an AvP3, you might want to end up reading this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/05/neill-blomkamp-alien_n_6801894.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Yet despite the clandestine nature of the new film, there is one thing Blomkamp is certain he wants to avoid: the "Alien" sequel becoming part of an even larger connected franchise.

With "Prometheus 2" and a new "Predator"" film rumored to be in the works, it seems at least possible that someone would want to put all the films together into a combined mega-universe, à la what Marvel has done so successfully with its "Avengers" films. Blomkamp wasn't into the idea.

"Christ, I hope not," he said. "To me, it's all Ridley Scott's world. I think on a creative level, combining any kind of Marvel-esque universe across all of the different franchises included in 'Predator' and 'Alien,' would be an egregious error." His "Alien" sequel remain a part of the Scott lineage.

Jarac

Blomkamp keeps speaking my language.

Perfect-Organism

RakaiThwei

Admittedly.. I liked the concept of Alien vs Predator, and enjoyed both of the movies as popcorn flicks but with the whole mass-retconning going on, I don't think I want another AVP movie. I'm fine with the two I have.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 06, 2015, 04:39:30 AM
Blomkamp keeps speaking my language.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 06, 2015, 04:44:51 AM
Thank goodness!

Yeah. It's a smart move to avoid any convolution.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 06, 2015, 04:48:32 AM
Admittedly.. I liked the concept of Alien vs Predator, and enjoyed both of the movies as popcorn flicks but with the whole mass-retconning going on, I don't think I want another AVP movie. I'm fine with the two I have.

Well, AVP is a whole different ball of wax. I honestly have contemplated what it would be like if the AVP movies were done in a vacuum universe. The creatures in a future environment, but minus the specifics of the Alien universe for the background.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 04:52:36 AM
Well, AVP is a whole different ball of wax. I honestly have contemplated what it would be like if the AVP movies were done in a vacuum universe. The creatures in a future environment, but minus the specifics of the Alien universe for the background.

Well.. you could argue that the AvP movies are an alternate universe which is built on the Alien and Predator franchise. And assuming if we have alternate continuities, that could potentially be the case.

But I am a little confused on what you mean by vacuum universe.

OpenMaw

Aside of the creatures, no continuity from either film series being utilised.

whiterabbit

That's good news but I still want an AVP3 movie. :P

RakaiThwei

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 05:41:39 AM
Aside of the creatures, no continuity from either film series being utilised.

You could argue that was the case with the first two movies. Although... official statements would suggest otherwise but that's neither here nor there now.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 06, 2015, 05:58:48 AM
That's good news but I still want an AVP3 movie. :P

As a sequel to the two that we have in an attempt to redeem that franchise, or a reboot? I would prefer the former though.. But as it stands, I am grateful that we are not getting a shared universe. You could argue that Alien-Predator already are, but then again.. it seems to have gone and went from two separate universes, then a shared universe, then separated universes once more.

Vrastal

ID be ok with Avp if it stayed within itself

PsyKore

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 06, 2015, 04:52:36 AM

Yeah, that would've been the best strategy for those films. I personally would love a dark horror future-set AvP with no ties to the existing Alien saga. They should have kept them separated from the beginning.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 06, 2015, 06:22:04 AM
Yeah, that would've been the best strategy for those films. I personally would love a dark horror future-set AvP with no ties to the existing Alien saga. They should have kept them separated form the begining.

I would also like the same thing on the Predator side of things. I love the first two Predator movies, I can do without Rodriguez's movie.. Personally I'd like that jettisoned but that's not going to happen. Cautious about Shane's movie though.

But if an AvP movie is ever considered again, I would like for it to not have any real ties to either franchise continuity aside from the creatures. And no Preserve Planets or Super Predators. Leave those things out of AvP. But I won't be expecting another AvP until the current brass at Fox retires or when Ridley loses the reigns to the Alien franchise. I mean from the look of things, it seems like it's in his control now though Fox retains the rights.

But all in all, with the mass retconning and perhaps, introduction of Alternate Timelines/Parallel Universes... assuming Blomkamp doesn't write the third and fourth movie off as dreams or hallucinations, I would not want another AvP movie with the current state of things.

whiterabbit

I want the AVP3 movie that was supposed to have happened after the end of AVPr. :P

No shared universe, otherwise we'll end up with Last Action Hero.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 06, 2015, 06:44:56 AM
I want the AVP3 movie that was supposed to have happened after the end of AVPr. :P

You mean the one where the Predators find the Xenomorph homeworld and fight this winged Alien King? Ha ha ha ha ha! Nah, I wouldn't want to see that. I wouldn't mind a film adaptation of Rebellion's AvP2010 though but.. I think that game is as far as a sequel to the AvP movie we're gonna get. In some way.. that game seemed like a good way to end that franchise, even if open ended.

Fire and Stone would suggest otherwise but do we count that as the same pedigree as the movies? I personally would think all of the EU is pretty much just glorified filler material. I wouldn't even count Fire and Stone. Interestingly enough so many bloggers out there have written on how a shared universe could be done and base everything off Fire and Stone.

But a part of me is glad that we're not getting a shared universe since Ridley Scott has the reigns with Prometheus, and Blomkamp is directing the Alien requel. I would think that both would agree that a shared universe is not necessarily the way to go.. At least as far as merging Prometheus, Alien and Predator are concerned.

And I know someone is gonna bring up Ridley OKing Fire and Stone but I don't think he gives a shit about what goes on in the comics.

CainsSon

My dream is an ALIENS Tv Series that goes something like this:

First season is Ripley 8 on Earth with strange goings on. Androids, W-Y schemes, body horror, humanity at it's worst, getting hands on Alien DNA,... Midway through this links up with Engineers and stuff before ending Ripley's story altogether, leaving earth and starting season 2 with characters introduced first season.
Season 2, is all hell breaks loose, aliens style. Season ends with the promise a new series/season which is again off world and basically AVP.
So like American Horror Story, every season is its own storyline that builds on all things Alien.
You can have a mining colony season, a giger planet season etc, etc,.. Definitely ShOWTIME or HBO type stuff though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed