What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 150,720 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

For me it was Predator on TV, i was waaay too young (maybe 5 years old, lol the irresponsible family i got) and was genuinely terrified ! But at the same time fascinated, and this only kept growing as i was too, leading me to this day and gladly being part of this forum !

For the Alien franchise it's a bit more messy, because i saw the films in complete disorder : the first half of Aliens on cable TV when i was like 8 (watched it with my brother but he kicked me out 'cause his goddamn football match was about to begin !), Alien 3 next, taped on VHS, probably 1 or 2 years after Aliens first half lol, then Alien taped on VHS about 1 year after that, and finally the second half of Aliens taped on VHS and Alien Resurrection with the official VHS on sale at the time.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

I don't know why, but VHS tapes have a mysterious, scary feel to them compared to DVD/BR. Scary movies seemed scarier, that is. Anyone else got that feeling?

ralfy

ralfy

Definitely the first one, but strangely enough that and second were the only ones I saw in the movies. The rest I saw on videos or disks.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jan 16, 2018, 04:15:09 AM
I don't know why, but VHS tapes have a mysterious, scary feel to them compared to DVD/BR. Scary movies seemed scarier, that is. Anyone else got that feeling?

Maybe it just feels that way as it was a part of our youth.

farsightblogger

farsightblogger

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jan 16, 2018, 04:15:09 AM

I know what you mean; it probably only means something to people who remember the VHS days. That's why I think Alien: Isolation hit me so hard, the fake VCR flickering and tracking just put me right there, back in the 1980s.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah i agree VHS have an old creepy/rusty feel, probably linked to our memories, at the time where rewind took time and image quality wasn't always there lol

Scorpio

Scorpio

As soon as DVD became popular I never looked back.  I don't get the nostalgia. 

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 16, 2018, 01:12:13 PM

Yes me too ! DVD are 1000 times better of course, quality-wise it doesn't even compare.

farsightblogger

farsightblogger

It's just the nature of the thing, the big clunky cassettes and the whirring machine and belts, kind of like the machine belongs on the Nostromo. It's the nostalgia that does it for me, really.

Now I DVD and Blu-ray everything I no longer have any cassettes - they ended up with a movie memorabilia collector in Scotland - but I wish I'd hung on to my original Alien and Aliens copies, and the Star Wars ones, especially when they were released in 'As They Were Meant To Be Seen' widescreen releases in the early 1990s. I'd never watch them, I don't even have a player anymore, but it'd be nice to have them as part of my meagre collection.

TheRaven

TheRaven

hm, I think it was my initial first glimpse of the alien tbh - I've always been one for the weird and wonderful and as a kid I loved dinosaurs/dragons - and I'm pretty sure after viewing aliens and then alien for the first time is what's informed most of my life in terms of my fascination for monsters / eldritch etc and why most of my characters / art / stories tend to reflect that.

the xenomorph is without a doubt my favourite Sci-Fi monster.

and from that it was only inevitable I'd view the other movies (even ugh, requiem, which is as awful as it was built up to be) and thus get sucked into both franchises - aha, I'm now the proud owner of all the current alien comic omnibuses, most of the AvP comics (digitally) and a few xenomorph figures to sit on my shelf c:

I do hope they'll make another AvP game one day - in the vein of AvP2010/AvP2, I had a lot of fun there and its sad to see it pretty much dead now (also RIP me I lost my save file and all my skins/rank progress with it aha cx )

RexXeno

RexXeno

At school for a presentation one of my friends did the Predator as their topic, and he brought a figure (A few days later I found out it was the Scar Predator) which he entrusted me to hold while he did something, I was immediately fascinated by the creatures design and everything about it was amazing. I went home and did some research on the Predators and eventually found the Aliens, I have been a huge fan ever since.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: farsightblogger on Jan 16, 2018, 02:42:03 PM

It's just the nature of the thing, the big clunky cassettes and the whirring machine and belts, kind of like the machine belongs on the Nostromo. It's the nostalgia that does it for me, really.

Now I DVD and Blu-ray everything I no longer have any cassettes - they ended up with a movie memorabilia collector in Scotland - but I wish I'd hung on to my original Alien and Aliens copies, and the Star Wars ones, especially when they were released in 'As They Were Meant To Be Seen' widescreen releases in the early 1990s. I'd never watch them, I don't even have a player anymore, but it'd be nice to have them as part of my meagre collection.

I hear you. I lost mine when they were accidentally included in a goodwill donation. They weren't supposed to be. I don't care what anyone says, it was betrayal of the highest order.  :laugh:

The only reason I'm hanging on to my Alien quadrilogy and original predator dvd's is due to the grain removal the blu-rays of Predator and Aliens went through. I prefer a clean picture, but if I ever want to experience those movies as they were, I still can.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 16, 2018, 11:17:06 PMThe only reason I'm hanging on to my Alien quadrilogy and original predator dvd's is due to the grain removal the blu-rays of Predator and Aliens went through.

I don't think Aliens had any serious grain-removal for the Blu-ray. At least, not so far as I remember reading in reviews.

Also the first Predator Blu had plenty of grain, but on the flipside, no special features. The later one that had the big DNR controversy had a bunch of bonus stuff.

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

Probably the setting that Alien takes place in. I don't think there's much like it in film at least. Plenty of monster rip offs, but the design of the world and setting it takes place in, is unique enough visually that easily grabbed me. Also, the setting the movies take place in you can seriously kind of get lost in story wise from the implication. The films themselves are somewhat self contained but the implications of the setting they live in are enormous. I think the lack of what they show of the world leaves so much up to the imagination that it kind of grabs your imagination. Or mine at least. It's a pretty unique world when it comes to science fiction.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 17, 2018, 09:40:26 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Mar 16, 2018, 11:17:06 PMThe only reason I'm hanging on to my Alien quadrilogy and original predator dvd's is due to the grain removal the blu-rays of Predator and Aliens went through.

I don't think Aliens had any serious grain-removal for the Blu-ray. At least, not so far as I remember reading in reviews.

Also the first Predator Blu had plenty of grain, but on the flipside, no special features. The later one that had the big DNR controversy had a bunch of bonus stuff.

Didn't Cameron say they went through and really cleared up the picture in aliens for the Blu-ray? I seem to remember him making a big deal about it. I know it wasn't bad originally, but I think he was really proud of what they did for the Blu-ray. It does looks rather good.

EDIT

Yep, he did. Just skimmed through an article over at bluray.com.

Quote: "It's spectacular. We went in and completely de-noised it, de-grained it, up-rezzed, color-corrected every frame, and it looks amazing. It looks better that it looked in the theaters originally. Because it was shot on a high-speed negative that was a new negative that didn't pan out too well and got replaced the following year. So it's pretty grainy. We got rid of all the grain. It's sharper and clearer and more beautiful than it's ever looked. And we did that to the long version, to the 'director's cut' or the extended play."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed