Aliens: What if…

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 21, 2023, 03:08:24 AM

Author
Aliens: What if… (Read 21,079 times)

SM

SM

Spoiler
He's not loyal to the Company. He's loyal to himself. He wanted "exclusive" rights.

This is going to sound a bit Comic Book Guy but so be it - Reiser's creative input into this has got the wisecracking right, but the character wrong. Is Burke evil? No, but he's done evil things. This comic ignores this and portrays him as a victim.
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
So another howler I missed way back in issue 1 (and someone may have mentioned this) - Vasquez's grenade shook Burke loose from the hive resin in the AP Station which allowed him to escape.  I've tried to look at this from an unreliable narrator perspective, but all I have is f**king shithouse writing perspective.
[close]

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SM on Jul 06, 2024, 11:58:26 PM
Spoiler
So another howler I missed way back in issue 1 (and someone may have mentioned this) - Vasquez's grenade shook Burke loose from the hive resin in the AP Station which allowed him to escape.  I've tried to look at this from an unreliable narrator perspective, but all I have is f**king shithouse writing perspective.
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah I've got one issue to go on this What If series, and I gotta say, it's a crock of shit. 😂 Vasquez's grenade, in the ducts leading from operations to the landing field, somehow shook Burke free in the sub levels of the atmosphere processing station... there was no fire in cryogenic compartment on the Sulaco, as Burke watches the EEV launch... and
[close]
as well as the appalling setup, the main story is not worth reading either... should anyone be considering buying this, I'd say roll with Aliens: Black, White and Blood instead if only for the UPP story...

TheDerelict

TheDerelict

I've decided to knock the marvel Aliens/predator stuff on the head. It's f**king awful.
I got momentarily excited in issue 1 of Thaw when the WY commandos turned up and I actually loved that future predator story with the bird hunting predators to avenge her parents.
Beyond that it's been forgettable at best.

So I decided to drop about 140 quid and buy all the dark horse Aliens original years volumes digitally on my phone. Sure there's a few misses in them but overall, dark horse knocked it out of the park, in my humble opinion.
We were spoiled back in the late 80's early 90's and didn't even know it.

SM

SM

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 07, 2024, 12:50:54 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 06, 2024, 11:58:26 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah I've got one issue to go on this What If series, and I gotta say, it's a crock of shit. 😂 Vasquez's grenade, in the ducts leading from operations to the landing field, somehow shook Burke free in the sub levels of the atmosphere processing station... there was no fire in cryogenic compartment on the Sulaco, as Burke watches the EEV launch... and
[close]
as well as the appalling setup, the main story is not worth reading either... should anyone be considering buying this, I'd say roll with Aliens: Black, White and Blood instead if only for the UPP story...

There's a long list of problems in the initial setup that retells Aliens.  It's pretty disappointing.

SiL

SiL

Spoiler
Also Burke was grabbed like ... 5 minutes before the grenade went off? Even if the Alien cocooned him to the wall there and then he wouldn't have had time to get set in place.
[close]

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

I just don't understand this.

Paul Reiser was IN THE MOVIE. How could he get any of it wrong? Or not at any point say "hey, this is wrong"?

PAS

PAS

Is this worth reading

SM

SM

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jul 07, 2024, 08:34:31 AMI just don't understand this.

Paul Reiser was IN THE MOVIE. How could he get any of it wrong? Or not at any point say "hey, this is wrong"?

I wouldn't be relying Reiser for continuity. He's an actor - I'd rely on him for insight into how he played the character.

Chieftain Suom

Chieftain Suom

The fifth and final issue is almost here and I feel like nothing substantial has really even happened.

SM

SM

Spoiler
There's Aliens loose on Burke's dead-end asteroid.  Took a good long while to get there though. I'm not sure how they'll salvage the story in one issue unless Burke has a sudden attack of self awareness.
[close]

Prez

Prez

I have been enjoying the quirkiness of Burke's story up until now. It's gone downhill pretty quickly now for me (due in part to some big hmmm moments, as others on here have pointed out in their spoiler comments).

Spoiler
I also think the humour is a bit odd now given the fact we have a major infestation. And going to battle in big powerloaders and instantly finding the Queen's chamber? Yep. Disappointing.
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
So final issue drops this week I think and just waiting on it before finishing a video script. Starting to wonder that the endlessly repetitive story and myriad inconsistencies are pointing to a big reveal in that this is all a bad dream and Ripley will show up to tell him he's still stuck on a wall in the hive from Aliens.
[close]

TheDerelict

TheDerelict

Quote from: SM on Yesterday at 10:51:21 AM
Spoiler
So final issue drops this week I think and just waiting on it before finishing a video script. Starting to wonder that the endlessly repetitive story and myriad inconsistencies are pointing to a big reveal in that this is all a bad dream and Ripley will show up to tell him he's still stuck on a wall in the hive from Aliens.
[close]

This is so nuts.
I mean...I mean listen to what you're saying. It's paranoid delusion. How...it's really sad.
It's pathetic.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Jul 07, 2024, 08:34:31 AMI just don't understand this.

Like Shane Black with The Predator.  :laugh:

To be fair though, Aliens: What if is not meant to be taken seriously.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed