The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP

Started by Scree, Apr 03, 2014, 09:26:43 PM

Author
The 10-Year-Anniversary of AVP (Read 38,609 times)

MrSpaceJockey

I was 7 years old when this movie came out.  It was also the first Alien/Predator movie I ever saw, though that was some years later. 

Even though I'd probably rank it as my 7th or 8th favorite of the franchises, I don't hate it.  Part of that is because I had no hype, no anticipation when I first watched it (that same kind of hype led to my colossal disappointment of Prometheus).  And consequently I can even find the movie a little nostalgic. 

Looking back now there are still some elements I dig about the movie.  Like the setting.  Antarctica's the most isolated place on Earth, and I liked how the scenes with the abandoned whaling station lit only by the flares/flashlights looked, so I think it was a great setting choice for the ALIEN side of the film.  And the ancient pyramids was a link to the continued presence of the Predators in human history, so that was cool for the Predator side of the film.  I still like the concept of Predators hunting prey in a constantly shifting maze of a pyramid.  The idea of seeing Weyland and his original company was pretty cool (pre-Prometheus retcon).  And the fight scenes were decent, at the least.

Finally, it's not AvP: R.

SM

SM

Quote from: Russ on Aug 13, 2014, 10:30:55 AM
Tell that to JK Rowling. Or indeed, Paul WS Anderson.

Because both Rowling and Anderson started their careers writing fanfic.

:laugh:

lolnope

Ash 937

Ash 937

I thought it was the worst Alien film when it was released.  The funny thing about the Alien franchise is that it gets worse with every consecutive film that comes out.  The only time this didn't happen imo though was when Prometheus came out and was better than AvP: Requiem.

happypred

happypred

Bitterly disappointed at the cinema. Bad predator costumes. Random selection of acid-vulnerable/acid-proof gear. Silly plot device (pesky humans steal cannons). Badly executed team-up replete with tender moments between Scar and Lex. Hilariously light clothing for Antarctic weather. No explanation of super-fast alien reproductive cycle.

That said...Anderson did get one thing right. He set the movie on the remotest continent of Earth.

SM

SM

And then missed said continent by nearly 2000km.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2014, 10:01:43 PM

lolnope

lolnope? That doesn't make any sense. I say (paraphrasing) you should try to follow your dreams if you want to be successful (in this instance in a creative endeavor). You say that that's delusional. I cite these two as people who had tried - and succeeded. And you respond that they started out writing fanfiction?

So what if they did? How does that make their success (and I imagine satisfaction) any less real? The person who wrote "Fifty Shades" started off writing Fan Fiction (I think about Twilight) and is now having her novels turned into a movie. I'm sure she gives a shit that people say she started off writing fan-fiction too.

Ultimately, though - from 50 shades lady to Anderson, fanfiction or no, they are living their professional dream. I read on here that you'd like to work to in movies one day - do you? If so, then clearly you tried and succeeded in what you set out to do (at that stage at least); if you don't and have never tried (as you seem to advocate here) then you're never going to work in movies - unless Cameron plucks you off the street to be the next John Connor or something.

Look - at the end of the day, many try, most give up. But some win. Even if they do write fan-fiction. lolyep?

SM

SM

Quotelolnope? That doesn't make any sense. I say (paraphrasing) you should try to follow your dreams if you want to be successful (in this instance in a creative endeavor). You say that that's delusional. I cite these two as people who had tried - and succeeded. And you respond that they started out writing fanfiction?

Context.

You're talking about SiL's script getting made as a legit AvP film.  Not going to happen.  Not through lack of talent - 'cos he is a talented f**ker - but simply because that isn't the way the world works.

QuoteSo what if they did? How does that make their success (and I imagine satisfaction) any less real? The person who wrote "Fifty Shades" started off writing Fan Fiction (I think about Twilight) and is now having her novels turned into a movie. I'm sure she gives a shit that people say she started off writing fan-fiction too.

Fifty Shades was an original work.  Doesn't matter if it started as Twilight fan fic - it's an original story with original characters and no longer fan fic.

QuoteUltimately, though - from 50 shades lady to Anderson, fanfiction or no, they are living their professional dream. I read on here that you'd like to work to in movies one day - do you? If so, then clearly you tried and succeeded in what you set out to do (at that stage at least); if you don't and have never tried (as you seem to advocate here) then you're never going to work in movies - unless Cameron plucks you off the street to be the next John Connor or something.

You've missed the point.  I never said 'Dont try'. I said 'Don't expect your fan fic to get picked up by Fox'.  They'll call you when they want you; not the other way round.  Rowling and Anderson don't have careers because they wrote fan fic.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: SM on Aug 13, 2014, 10:01:43 PM

lolnope

Well ironically enough Anderson's avp idea was just his own fan fiction for 10 years...

SiL

SiL

Every idea for a sequel/prequel/reboot/remake/etc. is basically fan-fiction until it's bought :P

My old script shouldn't be made into a movie, let alone wouldn't -- it's got some serious issues I could never be bothered to fix on account of the whole "It's just fan-fic" thing. I wanted to see if I could write a story that did both creatures justice at the same time -- by all accounts I did. Alas, much of the rest of the script was rather lacking :P

SM

SM

QuoteEvery idea for a sequel/prequel/reboot/remake/etc. is basically fan-fiction until it's bought

When does that happen though?  All that stuff is specifically commissioned.

SiL

SiL

A studio might seek the material, but it's often still pitched by individuals.

EDIT

Oh, right, I said "every". My bad.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I was 13 when this movie came out and AVP felt like it came out four years ago to me. I remember it took me a while to know how awful the movie was. I was very hype up for this movie since I follow the news on Planet AVP and lurk the old AVPG forums for a while. I first saw the movie at Summer Camp. We went to the movie theaters for the field trip and different groups went to see different movies. We can see PG-13 movies if they approve of it.

TheAncientEnemy

I remember a guy on the same floor as me being excited about this movie after seeing the trailer. I knew who was directing, so I knew better. Needless to say, only one of us was disappointed.

FatBrando

FatBrando

Sadly this film is just as terrible as it was when it was released. I remember being so hopeful. I also remember the sickening feeling I had as it dragged on with it's bulky Predators, ugly Aliens, terrible plot and beyond silly ending. It's too bad. Paul Anderson is certainly a passionate guy. He really seemed to be thrilled about the film in the pre-release interviews. You could tell he wasn't getting what he wanted as it got closer to coming out though. His enthusiasm in interviews really seemed to be fading. I think it was a case of a director biting off more than he could chew. Maybe what he saw in his head was really cool. Sadly the end result was just plan stupid.

Randomizer

Randomizer

...and if he would've canceled the movie fans would be disappointed .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed