AvP2 Online Servers Shut Down

Started by Xhan, Oct 08, 2008, 05:43:37 PM

Author
AvP2 Online Servers Shut Down (Read 31,210 times)

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

No . . . This cannot be . . . . THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE! *Cries, then jumps.*

REDSUN HUNTER

WTF i still play online some time's dam yo that suck's!!!!! >:(

jegu

jegu

Already playing customers won't bring more money for the Sierra, so I guess they just are gonna shut down game server cos of that.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

You, uh, you guys know that you can still host your own servers, distribute the IPs to people, and keep playing multiplayer games even after they take down the server list and stuff, right? It's not like they're releasing a mandatory patch that removes the multiplayer code from the game or something.

Purebreedalien

I don't know how to do that...

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Host a multiplayer game? It's pretty easy. You just, uh, host the game.

And then you can get your own IP from http://www.whatismyip.com/ and give it to your friends, and then they connect to your game. Problem solved! ;D

Purebreedalien

I know how to host a game I just didn't know how to get an IP.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well then, there you go. ;D

I just see a lot of people here going "no more AvP2 servers! The sky is falling!" when it's a pretty easy problem to fix. In fact, I plan on doing a lot of self-hosted AvP2 multiplayer when I do my AvP2 Let's Play in a few weeks.

REDSUN HUNTER

sure bro iam in  ;D

KingKenny

KingKenny

There are a bunch of modders at lithfaq.com working on a solution to this.

A new application which checks for a server list index on a different website could probably solve the problem. Also a patch (new rez) or something similar. Basically AvP2 just has to be modified to check for the master list at a different website other than the gamespy one, and this website must collect all the game ip and settings data.

So online AvP2 doesnt really have to end at all.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

But that's the thing, Sierra/Blizzard/Activision/whatever taking down the server list doesn't "end" AvP2 multiplayer by any means.

jegu

jegu

So people, expect an unofficial 1.0.9.7 patch coming...

Stalker

Stalker

It's unfortunate, but hopefully Aliens: Colonial Marines will take over where it is leaving off.

It's been a while since I've played AVP2 online, but it was one of my favourites. I wonder if the GameSpy system will still work with it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 11, 2008, 05:45:57 PM
Host a multiplayer game? It's pretty easy. You just, uh, host the game.

And then you can get your own IP from http://www.whatismyip.com/ and give it to your friends, and then they connect to your game. Problem solved! ;D

So exactly like we play current AvP1 games then?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Should work just fine, yes. :) Shit, maybe I'll test it when I get home from work today, just for laughs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed