Survivor Multiplayer Trailer

Started by RidgeTop, Nov 20, 2012, 10:08:48 AM

Author
Survivor Multiplayer Trailer (Read 55,758 times)

SM

SM

Has "bold" been redefined as "pointless"?

Predaker

Predaker

After you respawn, what's the first thing you want to do? Regroup. In a competitive gaming environment every second counts. Using the motion tracker to see where your squad mates are will help you regroup faster, no doubt about it. This also increases situational awareness by having more information about where the other marines are. Would the motion tracker work "better" if it never detected friendly movement? I don't know. I'm not the one who has been testing the mechanics. Gearbox does that in house.

To create an authentic experience, I imagine that trade offs and compromises are to be expected. Visual aesthetics do not dictate an authentic experience alone, as it works in tandem with gameplay mechanics. I don't care if the game is treated as a canonical addition to the "aliens bible" or not. In the end, that doesn't affect the actual experience of playing the game. I can say the game is not canon simply because the motion tracker has red dots, but if the gameplay mechanics themselves work to deliver an authentic experience while I am playing then I don't care. So these changes they made, if it works towards improving the gameplay as an authentic experience, it can be a good thing.

SM

SM

I just don't see how putting red dots on a tracker would improve any gaming experience.  Just sounds like dumbing things down, because you now know where the bad guys are hiding.  Making it much more difficult for them to hide.

MR EL1M1NATOR

MR EL1M1NATOR

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 02, 2012, 10:38:24 PM
That's game mechanics and present in every Aliens game. You won't get a game with just the Aliens-style Aliens in. There's no variety in that and they cant all be super strong otherwise they'd have to reduce the number of encounters and where is the fun in that? That's why we have Praetorians, the Pred-Aliens. That's why Extinction introduced its Ravenger and Carrier. Everyone won't like it but its needed. Traditional games give us enemies with different weapons to change the way you fight them. What would you prefer? A new enemy weaker than the traditional style so as to preserve the purity of the traditional appearance.

This is the same reason we have new weapons. It'd be so boring with just pulse rifle, smartgun. Look at AvP. It was never going go be a pure adaptation. It'd not make a good game. That's all marketing steam to placate the less angry fans. This is an Aliens game designed for today's gaming styles. If you don't like it don't buy it. Or go to the GBX boards and feed your opinions directly back to the developers.

I disagree. These new species are all pretty generic and un-original, seen in lots of other games. It won't add much variation, as you will still be shooting stuff, just in different places. What they should have done to add variety, is have the original xenomorphs capable of all the behaviour of these variants. They will act differently to each other, but look the same, making this one enemy unpredictable and challenging. That would have kept the peoples view of the xeno as something dangerous and to be feared, not just cannon fodder. Once you see an Alien that glows, you know it it is different to the others and can just shoot it accordingly.

I just think their whole approach of this was pretty lazy, and it's made more frustrating by all their boasting and claims of sticking to cannon, which is clearly not true.

Also I don't think it would be less fun if there were less encounters. The start of AvP's Marine campaign was fantastic mainly due to the fact that there weren't xeno's everywhere all the time, lot's of walking around and expecting things to happen, and when you finally met a xeno it was a a lot more exhilarating.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: SM on Dec 02, 2012, 11:38:49 PM
I just don't see how putting red dots on a tracker would improve any gaming experience.  Just sounds like dumbing things down, because you now know where the bad guys are hiding.  Making it much more difficult for them to hide.

You still don't know where the aliens are coming from exactly. A motion tracker that isn't very useful in combat builds frustration, not tension and suspense. Another big issue with the motion tracker is that its no longer on the HUD. You have to give up the ability to shoot to look at your tracker, and since it wasn't up on the HUD the whole time you will need a moment to absorb the information. They put actual motion trackers in our hands and made them work as functional tools in a firefight. That's awesome.

chupacabras acheronsis

but it will still tell you "ENEMY HERE WATCH OUT" instead of making you pay attention for real.

what happened to all the false signals and interference? you had to actually look at the signals in the tracker to know what they were by how they moved before.

Predaker

Predaker

We should get false/unknown signals in the campaign but not in competitive multiplayer.

SM

SM

Quote from: Predaker on Dec 02, 2012, 11:49:37 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 02, 2012, 11:38:49 PM

You still don't know where the aliens are coming from exactly. A motion tracker that isn't very useful in combat builds frustration, not tension and suspense. Another big issue with the motion tracker is that its no longer on the HUD. You have to give up the ability to shoot to look at your tracker, and since it wasn't up on the HUD the whole time you will need a moment to absorb the information. They put actual motion trackers in our hands and made them work as functional tools in a firefight. That's awesome.

I don't mind it not being in the HUD.  But even then it's still not terribly accurate.  We see Hudson using the tracker and pointing his gun in Aliens.  No reason the player couldn't do the same with reduced accuracy in the game.

However, I still don't see red dots adding to any gaming experience, when the normal ones form the film would've sufficed.

Predaker

Predaker

It helps for increasing situational awareness and regrouping faster. When you only have a moment to absorb info from the motion tracker, red and white blips immediately feed you the info you need. The colors contrast. Its for balancing purposes to improve functionality since the tracker is in your hand and not on the HUD. So its a major change with respect to aesthetics and a bold move, IMO.

SM

SM

If you like.  It may be all those things - what it isn't is "authentic".

Predaker

Predaker

That's subjective.

A:CM is not a remake of ALIENS, its a sequel telling a new story with new marines and apparently new equipment (in video game form.)

SM

SM

It's not subjective.  We know trackers don't have red dots, and the game has chosen to change that aspect, under whatever guise they choose to shoehorn in.

Whether you like the change or not is subjective.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: SM on Dec 03, 2012, 12:33:47 AM
It's not subjective.  We know trackers don't have red dots, and the game has chosen to change that aspect, under whatever guise they choose to shoehorn in.

Whether you like the change or not is subjective.

We know pulse rifles aren't all black, but they were in Alien3.

SM

SM

Because of course, such an analogy is completely relevant.

Ash 937

Ash 937

The motion tracker is suppose to track motion.  That's it.

It's a crude piece of machinery that's not suppose to differentiate between what is friendly and what is hostile.  That very fact created some very effective moments of tension in Aliens, and if executed correctly, moments created like that in A:CM would authenticate the experience.   I'd prefer to have a truer motion tracker in A:CM, not some "updated version" that is just a rip off from Halo.

The red dots do dumb down the experience.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed