Do you read comic books?

Yes, all the time
No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 902,091 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Just read the five issues released so four of Ryan North's Fantastic Four run. Great stuff.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Had a pretty good haul from Half Price Books over the weekend that I thought would be appreciated here.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That is a damn nice haul! I still love Eternal and Duel!

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 04, 2023, 07:17:32 AMThat is a damn nice haul! I still love Eternal and Duel!

Thanks Hicks! I remember Eternal being recommended on the podcast. I haven't read any of them yet so I'm lookin forward to giving them all a go!

Immortan Jonesy

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Currently reading through all of the Annihilation related stuff on Marvel Unlimited. Some seriously cool shit in here.  8)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Moving on to Annihilation: Conquest.

Wait, wait, wait... Mantis is a mentat? :o

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Annihilation Conquest: Wraith is the most 90s shit ever and it's from 2007.  :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Conquest ended up being a really good sequel to Annihilation. Moving on to Guardians of the Galaxy now.

I'm also getting back to my read through of the old Punisher ongoings. It will never not make me chuckle that Frank can show up in full costume and still nobody will know who he is. :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Guardians is really good, but way too much of it's fairly short run is being taken up by War of Kings tie ins. But it's still at least possible to follow, unlike a certain DC series with a similar problem...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Finally, after many years, I finished my read through of the three Punisher ongoings from the 80s/early 90s. Overall three pretty good series, and Countdown, the final story, worked alright as an ending for the character. But you can really tell that they had to cobble together a finale when Marvel cancelled the books. And it's made even more hilarious by the last issue ending with an ad for a new miniseries starring The Punisher.  :laugh:

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Alright, so catching up on my comics reading via Marvel Unlimited (and other sources for stuff they still haven't added).

Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) and Thanos Imperative were great fun, but I was left wanting more in a lot of ways. Still a very worthwhile read.

In my Punisher readings, the Double Edge event + Ostrander's Punisher run ended up being incredibly mid tier and disappointing. Double Edge was built on dumb, and while Ostrander had some interesting ideas for the Punisher, they never really worked and got flushed after ten issues, when it turned into a f**king Onslaught tie-in and then a five issue X-Men adjacent arc. It all ends on a cliffhanger with an amnesiac Frank Castle, a plot point that drifts in and out of different guest appearances and ultimately amounts to nothing.

I've also read the infamous two miniseries with Angel Punisher. Christopher Golden is a good writer, and they're not horribly written, but they're awful as Punisher stories, not helped by the wholesale retconning of the character's lore to prop up the new status quo. And Angel Punisher only fights demons in the first mini, while the second is a crossover with Wolverine where he fights more f**king mutants. For the love of god, stop trying to turn Punisher into an X-Men book.  :laugh:

BTW, I also read Punisher Year One, a solid origin story written by DnA, of all people.

I've also continued reading through the Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four run, which is really fun even if it's dated as hell. That three issue intro to Galactus was awesome.

Ones I have less to say about:

Inhumans by Paul Jenkins - a really, really good twelve issue series.

Straczynski's Thor run - it's really great, but sadly ends abruptly and Kieron Gillen had to the cobble a conclusion together to tie up JMS' dangling plot threads.

Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron - overall pretty awesome, but the third arc set on Earth wasn't as good as the previous two, and it basically just ended with an ad for another book, which was annoying.

And I've started Donny Cates' Venom, which so far I love.

Immortan Jonesy

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Donny Cates' Venom run was pretty great, so far the Daniel Way/Jason Aaron Ghost Rider book is, too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed