Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 108,204 times)

HuDaFuK

Hicks may or may not have furnished me with a digital copy of the book :)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 06, 2017, 09:43:07 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 06, 2017, 09:58:46 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 06, 2017, 09:43:11 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 06, 2017, 09:37:51 AMAre you familiar with the old Leading Edge 'Aliens' RPG?

Only by name.
I'd highly recommend it if you can track down a copy, it sounds like it would be right up your alley. Capital-A Aliens are in it, but they largely take a back seat to the Colonial Marines dealing with, well, literally anything else. :P Colonist uprisings, corporate disputes, indigenous lifeforms, all kinds of stuff.

I second all this, but also feel it's my responsibility to point out that the game rules are absolute rubbish - borderline unplayable. The lore however is awesome, and worth the price of admission alone.  8)
I bought the book specifically for the lore. I've actually done that with several RPG books.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 06, 2017, 09:54:47 PM
Hicks may or may not have furnished me with a digital copy of the book :)
Let us know what you think after you read it. :)

Russ840

How can I play this game ?

SM

I think anyone who might've played it 26 years ago, probably stopped 25 years and 364 days ago.

The Aliens board game also produced by Leading Edge around the same time and since digitised was far superior.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: SM on Apr 07, 2017, 10:29:47 AM
I think anyone who might've played it 26 years ago, probably stopped 25 years and 364 days ago.

The Aliens board game also produced by Leading Edge around the same time and since digitised was far superior.

So how to i get a hold of that one? lol

SM

Dunno.  Maybe Hicks is bootlegging that as well.

Russ840

Just had a look through the book. Very detailed but I have no idea what I'm looking at. I have never played a game like it. No idea what to do

SM

A role playing game requires at least two players - a player and a game master.  The player creates a character and the game master controls the world the character inhabits along with any other characters.  The character has a mission, with obstacles and fights and stuff that are decided by dice rolls.  Sometimes there are miniature gaming pieces to tracks the progress, but mostly the action occurs in the players heads.

Gaming systems are turn based (eg you decide to fire a weapon at an enemy, so roll a dice to determine the accuracy of your shot; sometimes the enemy can roll a dice to see if they can dodge.  If you hit, you roll a dice to determin how much damage you did to them.  Then it's their turn etc).  From all reports the Aliens RPG was very complex and not at all user friendly.  Combat systems need to flow quickly.  If they get bogged down in detail, and it takes ages to sort out a firefight that'd be over in 30 seconds (real time), it can get boring.

Russ840

I see. So like Dungeons & Dragons ?  I have never play anything like it or been exposed to. Sounds bloody complicated.

SM

Yeah same as D&D.  Complexity varies from game to game.  In some games, for instance, you just have hit points, and once you lose them all you're dead.  It gets more complex when you have hit locations - you can get wounded in an arm or leg which affects your attack strength or speed until it's healed.  And then it can depend on how many different types of dice you use.  D&D uses 4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, 10-sided, 12-sided and 20-sided dice.  But the old (and very successful) Star Wars RPG only used 6-sided dice.

The different systems are endless.  I read the Aliens RPG a couple of times and it relies on a lot of detailed referencing of tables.  It can make the game realistic, but extremely slow.

Russ840

I'll give that book a read. Does seem interesting lots of lore there

SM

The stuff about different planets and the half dozen or so species is interesting, but pretty sparse.

But considering the time it was produced there was the RPG and some comics and that was about it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Apr 07, 2017, 10:30:42 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 07, 2017, 10:29:47 AM

So how to i get a hold of that one? lol
You can play a faithful digital recreation of it here.

Warning: it's hard as balls, expect to get your ass kicked. A lot.

Mr. Clemens

Man, my friends and I played that Leading Edge ALIENS board game to death. Mine, along with the (separately sold) lead miniatures and the roleplaying game went on eBay for $250... probably to one of you guys.  :D

Xenomrph

I've got the Queen miniature, I still need to assemble and paint it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed