AvPGalaxy Visits the Disney World Alien at the Bowers Museum!

Started by RidgeTop, Nov 19, 2020, 04:38:36 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Visits the Disney World Alien at the Bowers Museum! (Read 2,958 times)

RidgeTop

Last month while visiting Southern California, I made a point to stop at the Bowers Museum situated in Anaheim. Currently running is the ‘Inside the Walt Disney Archives: 50 Years of Preserving the Magic’ exhibit, featuring artwork, costumes, props, and more from Disney’s extensive theme park and film-making history.

Thanks to the adventures of theme park tourist ‘Adam the Woo’ I was surprised to discover that one of the artifacts on display was the ‘Big Chap’ Alien from The Great Movie Ride, which operated at the Disney’s Hollywood Studios Park (formerly Disney’s MGM Studios) in the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida from 1989 to 2017.

AvPGalaxy Visits the Disney World Alien at the Bowers Museum!

This was one of my first introductions to the Alien when I was quite young, and I experienced the attraction a number of times during Florida visits until my last ride in 2014.

For a bit of history: In the late 80’s and early 90’s, then Disney CEO Michael Eisner was looking to add attractions to the theme parks with more appeal to teen and adult visitors. He initially wanted a full-fledged Alien based attraction, which Disney ‘Immagineers’ pushed back on, as they did not fancy the idea of an R-rated property featured prominently in the park. Instead an original sci-fi horror attraction called ‘ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter’ was developed with contribution from George Lucas.

The ‘ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter’ was also an excellent attraction in its own right which I loved experiencing as well, and which received quite a few complaints from parents for being too scary, even though there were multiple warning signs placed in the queue. Disney retained the rights to use the Alien in their theme parks, and Eisner got his way in a sense by incorporating an Alien segment aboard the Nostromo as part of The Great Movie Ride.

Unfortunately the ‘ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter’ closed in 2003. The replacement attraction for The Great Movie Ride, ‘Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway,’ opened this year.

I was really glad I got to see this impressive Alien up close, take some pictures, and pay my respects. It was bittersweet, as I much preferred seeing it taunting me surrounded by steam blasts and siren lights aboard the Nostromo. Now that Disney fully owns the rights to Alien, who knows… maybe one day Disney will rethink its stance on R-rated properties, or at least this specific one.

Here’s a selection of photos I took of the display:

BowersAlienBowersAlien-2BowersAlien-3BowersAlien-4BowersAlien-5BowersAlien-6BowersAlien-7BowersAlien-8BowersAlien-9BowersAlien-10BowersAlien-11BowersAlien-12BowersAlien-13BowersAlien-14BowersAlien-15BowersAlien-16BowersAlien-17BowersAlien-18

I also put together a video for our YouTube Channel which you can check out below:

While this exhibit was planned to go until the end of October, the run has thankfully been extended until the end of February 2021. However, due to changing COVID-19 regulations in California, the museum is currently closed, and hopefully will be available for reservations again soon or have the exhibit’s run extended further into next year. Check out The Bowers Museum website for further info.

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator attraction and event news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Drukathi

A true nightmare... for skull-haters. ;D

Gr33n M4n

That thing would make a great display piece in my man cave  8)

Kradan

Corporal Hicks

I love how prominent the skull is! Was it that blue in person?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Drukathi on Nov 19, 2020, 04:55:53 PM

A dream for some, a nightmare for others...

But is Local even aware that there is an Alien skullking in his backyard?

426Buddy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 19, 2020, 07:02:07 PM
I love how prominent the skull is! Was it that blue in person?

It didn't look blue on the Orlando FL version I went on as a kid.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 19, 2020, 07:07:03 PM
Quote from: Drukathi on Nov 19, 2020, 04:55:53 PM

A dream for some, a nightmare for others...

But is Local even aware that there is an Alien skullking in his backyard?

I have a spray can of frosted glass that I'd like to use on that abomination.

But I'm barred from the premises for...reasons.

RidgeTop

I think it just didn't appear blue in the attraction because of the dramatic lighting. Though theme park attractions typically get different repaints and refurbishments over time.

This is one of the best videos I've found on the ride. This must have been a special tour before the ride closed for good, as they stopped the vehicle and let people get out and explore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlizaFi6O40&ab_channel=InsidetheMagic

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 19, 2020, 07:51:22 PM
But I'm barred from the premises for...reasons.

Oh yeah, I forgot you have a bit of a history there...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed