James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 711,397 times)

Wweyland

I loved the teaser trailer, but a big part of it is the music.

T Dog

Soooooooo how does everybody think this is going to perform at the box office? Will Cameron strike gold again or have his first mega flop?

nanison

Gold of course. The fact that avatar immediately overtook endgame  again after a re release says enough, this film has a huge fanbase.

I suspect it is going to be the next cultural crazy in genre movie/television. So this means it will be up there with star wars, marvel, middle earth, Harry Potter, game of thrones and stranger things.

KiramidHead

Tim Miller?  ;) /s

Wweyland

So how's the expanded universe of this coming along? I know there's a game but I would expect much more.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 04, 2022, 08:54:11 PMSo how's the expanded universe of this coming along? I know there's a game but I would expect much more.

Aye! for one of the highest-grossing movies of all time, merchandising was somewhat modest. I might or might not be wrong though. ;D

nanison

Isn't the smurfs a spin off?

T Dog

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 04, 2022, 06:54:18 PMLooks like Cameron has an exit strategy just in case:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1543931342047551490
James Cameron is passing Avatar 4 & 5 off to Robert Rodiguez so that he may go and direct
Terminator 3 Three a.k.a TTT

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

What shocks me mostly here is that I thought that 4 and 5's live action production had actually already begun. Guess not.

Cameron could end up pulling an Original Trilogy-George Lucas and doling out the last two while heavily supervising and running the show (he already kind of did that with Alita: Battle Angel and Terminator: Dark Fate in 2019), but honestly, I expect that he does end up being the one to direct them, given the way he's talking about 4 in that interview and his immediate backtracking on his statement.

It is interesting that he's already thinking about his post-Avatar career and other stories that he still has in him that he wants to tell.

EDIT: Just went back and dug up this relevant Cameron quote from late last year:

QuoteWe mixed the schedules for 2 and 3 together, based on the types of scenes and the environments. I said, let's just treat it like it's a six-hour miniseries and we're only going to go to Frankfurt once. We're going to shoot all the scenes from 2 and 3 at the same time. That was more or less the motif. Actor availability was an issue as well. Anything that had to be done with a specific actor, we did all the scenes for 2 and 3 together — and a little bit of 4. Because once again, I had to shoot the kids out. They're allowed to age six years in the middle of the story on page 25 of movie 4. So I needed everything before then, and then everything after, we'll do later.

So there has been a bit of production on 4, but then they stopped after shooting the ~25 pages or so and have not yet picked up on any more of 4 or any of 5 at all. Makes sense.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

can't wait for the new Cameron Heavy Metal movie myself

nanison

It wouldn't be an avatar release without a delay

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed