Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,755 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Plenty of resources to draw from exist though.

SiL

SiL

In 30 years of Dark Horse comics the only image I can think that approached "traced" was a single panel from Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels. Now artists have to pull out the tracing paper to be able to draw Aliens? One of the most well known creature designs in the last century? One of the most influential designs committed to screen?

Part of being a good artist is being able to draw from observation. Using images as reference is par for the course. Just tracing over them is hack work.

Local Trouble

To be fair, I've seen some pretty goddamn terrible renditions of the aliens made me wish they'd just been traced.  I think it's difficult to get them right and it takes an exceptionally talented artist to do so.

SiL

SiL

I can't think of any bad Aliens where the rest of the art wasn't also dodgy.

I'm looking at you, Sam Kieth.

judge death

I take bad original art over trace and copy art which we now get a ton of from marvel, every day in the week. Not many cases of original art I have disliked as much as the traced stuff.

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2021, 11:07:09 PM
In 30 years of Dark Horse comics the only image I can think that approached "traced" was a single panel from Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels. Now artists have to pull out the tracing paper to be able to draw Aliens? One of the most well known creature designs in the last century? One of the most influential designs committed to screen?

Part of being a good artist is being able to draw from observation. Using images as reference is par for the course. Just tracing over them is hack work.

I've been drawing them from memory since 8 years old!! That was 40 years ago. I'm quite a good artist but not as good as some of these comic artists who trace. It's simply about hitting a very tight deadline deliverable most likely and also following a creative direction style. Pay has nothing to do with it either me thinks.

BlueMarsalis79

We know the justifications for the way it turns out.

Still a no bueno.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Prez on Feb 03, 2021, 11:27:30 PM
I've been drawing them from memory since 8 years old!!
Same! It's really not as hard as some are trying to make out. The basic shapes are all easily memorable, then it's just refining it as you get better. Most of the "bad" renditions from comics are just artist's style.

The Aliens in Harvest are ... what they are, for example, but they fit the artist's style.

QuoteIt's simply about hitting a very tight deadline deliverable most likely and also following a creative direction style.
Absolutely. And that's the bottom line -- it's not about artists being incapable, it's about business mandates. If Marvel wants to hit specific deadlines with specific looks, corners need to be cut.

BlueMarsalis79

"Marvel wants to hit specific deadlines with specific looks."

And that's the truly awful part.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 03, 2021, 11:07:09 PM
One of the most well known creature designs in the last century? One of the most influential designs committed to screen?

I don't think this matters much. Sure the general shape, dome etc. is iconic, and recalled by random people on the street, but the precise appendages, digits, texture, nitty-gritty detail? Not so much. Even with something so much more basic and well-known like a shark, unless you're a shark fanatic, an artist will probably check out a some reference shots to settle placent of gills, teeth count, fin size etc. but I do agree, they don't need to trace said references.

Local Trouble

I remember how much comic book artists struggled with drawing ships, etc. in the old Marvel Star Wars comics.  They were hideous.  The aliens remind me of that.

judge death

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
I remember how much comic book artists struggled with drawing ships, etc. in the old Marvel Star Wars comics.  They were hideous.  The aliens remind me of that.
Shhh they still do shhhh

Russ840

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 03, 2021, 05:15:06 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Feb 03, 2021, 01:59:47 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 03, 2021, 12:13:09 PM
Quote from: Russ840 on Feb 03, 2021, 08:54:27 AM
For anyone interested in James Stokoe.  His next project is called 'Orphan and the Five Beasts'.

It starts in March and is published by Dark Horse.

It's a Kung Fu story and sounds great.

Already on my pull list!  ;D

His Godzilla stories are being reprinted too for those that are interested.

Man I love that Godzilla. Have it in oversized.

Have you read Wonton Soup ?

No but it's on my to-read list!

Sobek is also F-ing awesome.

My advice (and I hazard a guess that this is already the case for you) just read everything Stokoe has done.

Prez

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 03, 2021, 11:46:17 PM
"Marvel wants to hit specific deadlines with specific looks."

And that's the truly awful part.

Sadly. Yep.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: judge death on Feb 04, 2021, 12:35:40 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 04, 2021, 12:31:15 AM
Shhh they still do shhhh

:laugh:

I have to imagine the thought must be partially daunting to some artists. One one side, it's Yay! I got the gig! And the other side, it's Oh no! How am I going to draw all this sh*t! 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed