Disney's Plans Regarding Alien 5?

Started by Toxic34, Dec 14, 2017, 05:47:52 PM

Author
Disney's Plans Regarding Alien 5? (Read 19,202 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Dec 20, 2017, 03:13:43 PM
I finally see the miscommunication we've all been experiencing. The argument I've been talking about, is not the one in which Ripley rightfully refuses entry to Dallas and Co. . It's the Hallway, scene, where Dallas says " It happens my dear because that's what the company wants to happen ". Nothing illegal about this scenario, just Ripley challenging Dallas' decision in regards to Ash, getting the final say on what happens with the remains of the facehugger.

Thus we have an instance of Challenging Authority. I hope this clears the air. I apologize for not realizing this error sooner.

You can read that scene another way, though. Ripley, the by-the-book officer, is challenging something because it doesn't adhere to her knowledge of procedures.

JungleHunter87

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 21, 2017, 08:58:31 AM
Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Dec 20, 2017, 03:13:43 PM
I finally see the miscommunication we've all been experiencing. The argument I've been talking about, is not the one in which Ripley rightfully refuses entry to Dallas and Co. . It's the Hallway, scene, where Dallas says " It happens my dear because that's what the company wants to happen ". Nothing illegal about this scenario, just Ripley challenging Dallas' decision in regards to Ash, getting the final say on what happens with the remains of the facehugger.

Thus we have an instance of Challenging Authority. I hope this clears the air. I apologize for not realizing this error sooner.

You can read that scene another way, though. Ripley, the by-the-book officer, is challenging something because it doesn't adhere to her knowledge of procedures.

I suppose that's one way to look at it. I see it two fold. As in, Ripley Challenging Dallas' decision in regards to Ash. A decision that normally isn't SOP or by-the-book. That hits two consistent character traits in one scene: Challenges Authority and By-The-Books.

By the by Hicks, have you heard any mention of Disney's intentions? Regarding ALIEN 5 from your sources? I'd guess not, however I'm curious if any leaks of possible intent have been gathered by someone on the inside.

Rush Hour Rambo

Five pages of tangential waffle, disappointing  :-[

Back on topic, here's hoping Disney see the overall potential of the franchise in terms of merchandise, books and video games etc. It's because of this angle that they will pump in the money required for, let's face it, a franchise which is running on fumes or muddled prequel's. I think the overall picture will interest them rather than the box office potential alone although done right that could be huge IMO.

Blomkamp is the right guy in terms of the technological style he has, which I think would really blend well with Alien. He's a good director too and loves the subject matter. It'll be a long time before they do, but his script and ideas should be the starting point IMO.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Morse on Dec 27, 2017, 12:57:39 PM
Five pages of tangential waffle, disappointing  :-[

Back on topic, here's hoping Disney see the overall potential of the franchise in terms of merchandise, books and video games etc. It's because of this angle that they will pump in the money required for, let's face it, a franchise which is running on fumes or muddled prequel's. I think the overall picture will interest them rather than the box office potential alone although done right that could be huge IMO.

Blomkamp is the right guy in terms of the technological style he has, which I think would really blend well with Alien. He's a good director too and loves the subject matter. It'll be a long time before they do, but his script and ideas should be the starting point IMO.

I've not seen anything in his directing or commissioned concept art that inspires great confidence. And if Disney were to primarily look at merchandising based on Alien then that would end it for me. I'm very much for Ridley continuing his themes or just ending it now, without sullying it by once again devolving into the box-ticking action-orientated route.

JungleHunter87

I hope Disney doesn't shelve the series due to Covenants less than stellar performance. As for Blomkamps involvement? I'd like too see his take on the series. It couldn't hurt anymore than what AVPR did too the franchise. Disney would be wise to look at the fan interest and take note. Even the average fan seems more interested in Blomkamp's Alien 5. Than anything we've seen as of late, save for Prometheus, which did well at the box office.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Dec 28, 2017, 10:28:13 PM
Disney would be wise to look at the fan interest and take note. Even the average fan seems more interested in Blomkamp's Alien 5.

It's a talking point. I wouldn't say that equates to interest in it going ahead.

swarm87

swarm87

I hope Disney doesn't shelve the series due to Covenants less than stellar performance. As for Blomkamps involvement? I'd like too see his take on the series. It couldn't hurt anymore than what AVPR did too the franchise. Disney would be wise to look at the fan interest and take note. Even the average fan seems more interested in Blomkamp's Alien 5. Than anything we've seen as of late, save for Prometheus, which did well at the box office.

kinda agree and disagree at the same time; looking at Chappie, Blomkamp's last theatrical outing, hovering just over 50% with audiences and just over 30% with critics if I worked at Disney im not too sure if id allow half to retcon HALF THE FRANCHISE to please a very vocal MINORITY, especially after how people reacted to the last jedi. I would like to see something done post alien 3 however as Hick surviving is now canon thanks to colonial marines, perhaps Hicks as an old grizzled CO still working against WY attempts to control an alien and perhaps running into an Alien\Ripley Hybrid clone more along the lines of what was shown in the earlier concept art. 

Toxic34

Toxic34

Quote from: swarm87 on Dec 31, 2017, 04:28:25 PM

kinda agree and disagree at the same time; looking at Chappie, Blomkamp's last theatrical outing, hovering just over 50% with audiences and just over 30% with critics if I worked at Disney im not too sure if id allow half to retcon HALF THE FRANCHISE to please a very vocal MINORITY, especially after how people reacted to the last jedi. I would like to see something done post alien 3 however as Hick surviving is now canon thanks to colonial marines, perhaps Hicks as an old grizzled CO still working against WY attempts to control an alien and perhaps running into an Alien\Ripley Hybrid clone more along the lines of what was shown in the earlier concept art.

If anything, the real vocal minority are those who like 3 and possibly even Resurrection. But the vocal minority appears bigger than they really are because they take up the majority of the Internet presence. A prime example is Kiss. The vast majority of fans have no problem with the band continuing in makeup without all original members. They eagerly pay money to go to the concerts every year. But the vocal minority is anti-Paul and Gene appears larger because they flood the Internet with their vitriolic hatred. The same holds true with Star Wars. The vast majority have accepted the series and the directions it has taken, both with the prequels and the Disney era. The audiences have always come in droves to see the films, applauding wildly and enjoy it. I can distinctly remember my experiences for the Special Editions, the prequels and Disney. Not a single person left the theater disappointed any of the times I was viewing the films there. These crowds of all ages were talking excitedly, saying what an amazing experience it was, and "I can't wait to do it again!" But the butthurt fanboys have succeeded in gaslighting the public, to change the narrative and rewriting history.

Make no mistake, Disney is not anyway pummeled or destroyed by the fandom split. The Last Jedi is a success by every standard, and they are not going to disavow that. The clear majority loves it, and can't wait for more. Likewise, the vast majority want a "true sequel" to Aliens, and would be happy if Disney gives Blomkamp another shot. Even if it doesn't live up to all expectations, it would still be above and beyond far better than 3, Resurrection, AVP, Colonial Marines, and Covenant. (Prometheus is still a fairly good film, but definitely flawed and kept from its masterpiece potential. The original 2-part movie plan or the fanmade "workprint version" as the released film would have been a rousing success, much like how the director's cut version of Kingdom of Heaven would've been thoroughly accepted if it had been the theatrical version).

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Toxic34 on Jan 01, 2018, 09:58:51 PMLikewise, the vast majority want a "true sequel" to Aliens, and would be happy if Disney gives Blomkamp another shot.

Do you have a source for this?

Quote from: Toxic34 on Jan 01, 2018, 09:58:51 PM
Even if it doesn't live up to all expectations, it would still be above and beyond far better than 3, Resurrection, AVP, Colonial Marines, and Covenant.

Can I borrow your time machine?

Kel G 426

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 02, 2018, 06:37:01 AM
Quote from: Toxic34 on Jan 01, 2018, 09:58:51 PMLikewise, the vast majority want a "true sequel" to Aliens, and would be happy if Disney gives Blomkamp another shot.

Among those who care enough to sign a petition, we have over 5000 for vs 19 against.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/neill-blomkamp-for-alien5

https://www.change.org/p/20th-century-fox-don-t-retcon-the-alien-series

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jan 02, 2018, 01:33:15 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Jan 02, 2018, 06:37:01 AM

Among those who care enough to sign a petition, we have over 5000 for vs 19 against.

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/neill-blomkamp-for-alien5

https://www.change.org/p/20th-century-fox-don-t-retcon-the-alien-series

A closed petition vs an open one, and the open one has reached the dizzying heights of the population of Stoke Poges..

Kel G 426

A source was asked for, a source was given. If there are opposition numbers with greater heights, enough to dismiss us as a "vocal minority" go ahead and share them.

0321recon

Quote from: swarm87 on Dec 31, 2017, 04:28:25 PM

If anything, the real vocal minority are those who like 3 and possibly even Resurrection.

I'd agree with Resurrection.

Though, for Alien 3 if you do a google search it has gained a lot of love that it didn't have when it was released in 92, and that's thanks to its Assembly Cut. Some see it as finality of the series. It might have its issues though it was better than having Aliens part deux.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jan 02, 2018, 02:53:56 PM
A source was asked for, a source was given. If there are opposition numbers with greater heights, enough to dismiss us as a "vocal minority" go ahead and share them.

I never heard of a petition against a film being made, have you?

And 5k signatures is still a hilariously small amount. How is this the vast majority, again?

bb-15

bb-15

...if Disney gives Blomkamp another shot. Even if it doesn't live up to all expectations, it would still be above and beyond far better than 3, Resurrection, AVP, Colonial Marines, and Covenant.

* There is no way to know that an unreleased movie ("Alien 5") will be "above and beyond better than" other existing films.

- Did you see "Chappie" and how Blomkamp handled an AI character? It was not "above and beyond" what Fassbender did in "Covenant".

- And Weaver was in "Chappie" as well as in the "Defenders" TV series.   
Sigourney is no longer the young, nimble action hero from the old days.
She's visibly slowed down and that would affect what she can do on screen.
- Look at how Arnold did in "Terminator Genesys" for an example of that.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed