Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by ikarop, May 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Author
Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 43,111 times)

ikarop

Kotaku has recently interviewed Gearbox CEO about the upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines videogame. This time Randy Pitchford talks about Gearbox’s approach to the story and how the studio plans to explain the inconsistencies between Aliens and Alien 3. Be aware of spoilers.

“One of the things we’re really proud about is that there were some things that fans like us always believed were inconsistencies between Alien3 and Aliens,” Pitchford said, “But as we dig into it, as we work with filmmakers and kind of understand it all and think about it from a logic problem point of view, there is actually a truth there that makes more sense. When we are able to use it to stitch it together, Alien3 is actually a better movie.”

You can read the full article on Kotaku.

King Rathalos

Nice read, what really got my attention and blood pumping though was this:

Quote"The actual game is pretty lethal. The skill test is anticipating or reacting. If you are good at anticipating and reacting you will be killing lots of xenos and you will be effective at it. You have the tools to do it. But when they get you, they frickin' get you. You'll die. You'll die a lot. I don't know if we're as far as Dark Souls. We're still tuning it, but it's going to be pretty brutal."

SpreadEagleBeagle

I must say the game looks pretty good. Really happy to see they added Giger Aliens to the broth and that the body size of the Aliens is way better than before. I really hope they will make this game ridiculously hard since every single Warrior in the game should more or less be a near-death-experience. The only cannonfodder enemy class in the game should be eggs/facehuggers.

Predaker

Egg-cellent!

Adam802

looks awesome!  can't wait! 

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ikarop on May 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM
"If you ask Ridley, he'll tell you he's certainly borrowed things from the universe... He's not developing it as true canon. There are some inconsistencies that he accepted in order for his film to be the good story he wanted to tell there. To the extent that it is part of the Aliens universe, it's prequel material. We're sequel material.

Damn it! Every single time we get quotes on how canonical 'Prometheus' is meant to be, they don't just contradict one another now, they contradict their own logic!

What is "true canon" even supposed to mean, when you also reference that it is meant to be a prequel?

QuoteAt the beginning of Alien3 something happened. We never knew what or why. But something caused them to be ejected from the Sulaco and they ended up on this prison planet.

I thought the whole uncontrollable fire thing was the obvious reason...?

I can understand someone wanting to try and make sense of where the egg came from, but this part was never a mystery.

QuoteMenacing corporation that sets up Hadley's Hope and wants to retrieve alien queen embryo would obviously track down the Sulaco and search it.

Investing in colonies is menacing? :)

QuoteVideo games tend to have higher body counts than even the most violent movies, which relegates many movie-related bad guys in games to cannon fodder. But Gearbox doesn't want to turn the fearsome xenomorphs of Alien and Alien3 into easily-swattable bugs. "We're going to need to defeat some things but we are also going to need to feel the deadliness of them," Pitchford said. "The actual game is pretty lethal. The skill test is anticipating or reacting. If you are good at anticipating and reacting you will be killing lots of xenos and you will be effective at it. You have the tools to do it. But when they get you, they frickin' get you. You'll die. You'll die a lot.

Seems to be confusing physical resilience with aggression levels.

QuoteI thought I knew the movies well, but much of what Pitchford told me here went over my head the first time. Hadley's Hope? That was were Newt lived, right? (Right.) The Derelict? We never really saw much of that, just glimpses, right?

Oh, journalists... Your ability to be easily impressed is almost endearing. :)

QuoteThis is a sequel that matters. That's clear. Hopefully, it is one worthy of the films it ties together.

Guess that's jinxed it, then...

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on May 04, 2012, 08:40:05 PM
I must say the game looks pretty good. Really happy to see they added Giger Aliens to the broth and that the body size of the Aliens is way better than before. I really hope they will make this game ridiculously hard since every single Warrior in the game should more or less be a near-death-experience. The only cannonfodder enemy class in the game should be eggs/facehuggers.

Agreed.

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 04, 2012, 10:33:57 PM
QuoteI thought I knew the movies well, but much of what Pitchford told me here went over my head the first time. Hadley's Hope? That was were Newt lived, right? (Right.) The Derelict? We never really saw much of that, just glimpses, right?

Oh, journalists... Your ability to be easily impressed is almost endearing. :)
:P Indeed. Maybe he never saw the movies at all.

Nice to see Pitchford say something other than, "oh, gawd, this is so, so kewl."

SM

SM

I hope they're good game designers, because as storytellers they don't have a f**king clue...

And to insinuate their game makes Alien3 a better film - kinda arrogant to be honest.  Especially based on what they've said so far, which is sub fan-fic quality.

Ash 937

Quote from: SM on May 04, 2012, 11:37:29 PM
I hope they're good game designers, because as storytellers they don't have a f**king clue...

And to insinuate their game makes Alien3 a better film - kinda arrogant to be honest.  Especially based on what they've said so far, which is sub fan-fic quality.

Agreed. 

The basis of their story assumes too many inconsistencies itself to be credible.  On one hand, they resurrect Hadley's Hope which was completely wiped out at the end of Aliens and, as an incentive for that oversight, they attempt to explain the egg on the Sulaco in Alien3.  I'm not buying it.  Someone needs to remind GBX that they were contracted to make a video game based on Aliens and that their story needed to revolve around a different set of guidelines than a film.  They are not filmmakers and their product is not canon. 

I know it's common knowledge that the production quality of video games is nearing (if not surpassing) those of actual movies but I never thought I'd hear a CEO of a video game company actually ever try to take credit for "fixing" a film that his video game was based on.  This interview was definitely a "WOW" moment for me in that sense.

I wonder how GBX would feel if a film director took an IP like Borderlands and turned it into a live action film and said that their movie made the video game better.  What sort of a world are we entering when this kind of stuff becomes okay to say publicly?  I think it's ridiculous.

Predaker

Predaker

Fox made the decision to treat A:CM as canon, not gearbox. As for them making alien3 better, he was simply speaking in terms of solidifying the continuity. Again, this was a decision made by FOX, not gearbox.

Originally, they only wanted to address ALIENS, but as stated in earlier interviews, FOX made them take alien3 into consideration as well as the movie ALIENS.

While some fans may be of the opinion that alien3 needs no extra explanation, the fact remains that many fans still have legitimate questions as to what happened between ALIENS and Alien3.

FOX has decided to answer some of those questions, and I hope gearbox does a good service for this iconic franchise.

SuperM

alien3 is crap get over it, this game will make it better.

MrSpaceJockey

That's not the point; the point is that they're contradicting themselves with their own stupid inconsistencies.

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on May 05, 2012, 02:29:29 AM
That's not the point; the point is that they're contradicting themselves with their own stupid inconsistencies.
The point is that some people are being hyper critical of gearbox for things that were out of their control, without even having played the game yet. 

If the game turns out to be good even the most cynical fans should enjoy it, provided they have an open mind. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but at least get the facts straight...

Much love fellow fans :)

Xenomrph

Quote from: SuperM on May 05, 2012, 02:25:26 AM
alien3 is crap get over it, this game will make it better.
Alien3 isn't crap and I'm sorry you feel that it is.

Anyway that's a cool interview, still looking forward to the game. ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed