Started by Corporal Hicks, May 06, 2007, 09:22:14 PM

Author
Ask Steve Perry (Read 189,036 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I meant the first two AvP series.

Thedus

Thedus

Steve - You and I spoke briefly on AOL many (many) years ago in the Comics/Dark Horse/Aliens area.  Not that you remember this, I'm sure, but your comments about the Alien's possible history were most inspiring to me, and in the eventual creation of my site. ...not that my writing is on par with yours, by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway, now for my questions.

You were commissioned to write various ALIENS and AVP novels... stories that were already created in comic form.  You had to stay close to the story as it already exsisted.  I imagine this would be a little difficult since I'm sure there were aspects of the stories you would have handled differently had you been the original author.  What would you have changed in (I'll pick two to keep it simple) Nightmare Asylum and AVP: Prey had you been able to?

The additional material that helped flesh out characters, events, and settings were all your additions to the stories.  Obviously they are necessary due to the medium of the written word - as you said earlier you "need to paint with words," and they add a new depth to the stories that wasn't present in the comics.  Were these additions all your own, or were you given additional, or possibly unused material from the comics to help in these areas.  Also, what was the approval process like for the original aspects of the stories?  Was it more stringent than the existing aspects of the stories, or a bit more loose?

SM

SM

Perry Snr sadly hasn't been around for months.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'll drop him a line, let him know he's got some Qs.

Thedus

Thedus

Thanks, guys.

steveperry

steveperry

Anchorpoint

The nature of doing a novelization of an existing work, be it a movie script or graphic novel or game, is that you have to honor the source material and stick fairly close to the major plot lines and characters. Some things that look good in a comic don't play too well in a novel, and you have to alter them

Once instance: The futuristic equivalent of the Coast Guard blows up a derelict ship in Earth orbit. Looks cool, but is a bad idea -- you get all that debris whizzing past, and it is gonna hole somebody's ship. At fifteen miles a second, even a paint chip impacting your viewport will crater it.

So I had them kick the ship into a path that would eventually put it into the sun instead.

Such alterations were my own, and as far as I recall, I didn't have any other source material that wasn't used by the graphic novels, no outtakes, like that.

Approval process went through Bantam. I did the ms, shipped it to them, and we hashed out their concerns. Sometimes, they had things I had to fix. Mostly, I was able to convince them that what I'd done was valid. Not always -- there are some things I had to change. But the stuff about the Predator's culture? They didn't bat an eyelash at that.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Is it easier to work with bantam or darkhorse press?

Or do both have their advantages?

SiL

SiL

Two questions:

Firstly, what's with the overabundance of unnecessarily long-named technical doo-dads in Earth Hive? The exact number may not be too large, but as far as I'm concerned two is too many, especially considering the Alien franchise, and the source comic, have a decided lack of that sort of stuff.

Secondly, why all the added smut?

SM

SM

There was smut in Earth Hive?  Newt was shagging Butler in the original comic.

Or do you mean Female War?  I seem to recall some stuff in that...?

Thedus

Thedus

Quote from: SiL on Oct 10, 2007, 08:55:10 PM
Secondly, why all the added smut?

Don't you know - Sex sells.

Seriously though... what smut?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

SiL doesn't like the over descriptions of sex in Earth Hive.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

I never would have figured SiL for a prude. ;)

SiL

SiL

Yes, Earth Hive has Newt shagging Bueller, but it's a single panel. Senor Perry goes into great(ly) unnecessary detail; Nightmare Asylum also went overboard; and Female War could've bordered on 'Guest chapter By Ann Rice'.

And it's not that I'm a prude.

It's that when I read it, I can't not think of Carrie Henn. It's like some sleazy old dude sitting at home writing smut about a perfectly unsuspecting person who's likely never heard of them, and it creeps me out but good.

No offense to Senor Perry, either. I got nothing against smut. Just Carrie Henn smut.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

There's yer problem then...Rebecca is not 10 years old any more in the stories where this takes place.  You gots to update your mental image of her.

SiL

SiL

That's the problem.

I've seen her in the Quadrilogy. I know what she looks like now, and it's a pretty good indicator of how she'd look in the books. Remove a few wrinkles. Slim up a bit due to being in a nuthouse (crazies always seem thin).

Voila.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed