Ridley Scott Says The Alien FX Series Will Be 8-10 Hours Long

Started by seattle24, Nov 22, 2021, 09:57:55 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Says The Alien FX Series Will Be 8-10 Hours Long (Read 25,651 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Aesthetically speaking, I wonder how good will be the ballance between the classic retrofuturism form the original movies vs. the 'everything is an iPod in the future' design philosophy from the prequels and current futurology in cinema, with the exception of the new Star Wars of course.

Ingwar

Believe it or not but I would love to see it. Blade Runner 2019: Vol. 2: Off World comic book takes place on an Off-world colony and it's cool.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: dave1978 on Nov 25, 2021, 09:10:09 AM
Scott's is involved.....  it wont be.   Remeber,  in Scotts mind the Alien is dead,  nothing more can be done.  When in reality its his imagination and ability that has wained over the years.

Which is all the more amusing because even with his reluctance to bring the capital-A Alien into Covenant, he still put forward one of the most interesting takes on the creature to date in that film.

SiL

I would strongly, strongly disagree.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 25, 2021, 10:30:39 PM
Quote from: dave1978 on Nov 25, 2021, 09:10:09 AM
Scott's is involved.....  it wont be.   Remeber,  in Scotts mind the Alien is dead,  nothing more can be done.  When in reality its his imagination and ability that has wained over the years.

Which is all the more amusing because even with his reluctance to bring the capital-A Alien into Covenant, he still put forward one of the most interesting takes on the creature to date in that film.

Wait... What ?

Nightmare Asylum

Yeah, I genuinely find the interpretation of the Alien in Covenant, and the nature of its connection to David, to be pretty damn fascinating, and the film itself to be the best the franchise has been since Alien 3.

If that renders my opinion null, then so be it I guess. I dig the film, I'd love to see it followed up on directly, but I'd also be very cool seeing a brand new take on the material as well because, over the years, reinterpreting the core concepts has been one of the defining traits of each subsequent film.

Evanus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 26, 2021, 12:30:52 PM
Yeah, I genuinely find the interpretation of the Alien in Covenant, and the nature of its connection to David, to be pretty damn fascinating, and the film itself to be the best the franchise has been since Alien 3.

If that renders my opinion null, then so be it I guess. I dig the film, I'd love to see it followed up on directly, but I'd also be very cool seeing a brand new take on the material as well because, over the years, reinterpreting the core concepts has been one of the defining traits of each subsequent film.

Kradan

f**k yeah, screw the haters

SiL

Yeah, I genuinely find the interpretation of the Alien in Covenant, and the nature of its connection to David, to be pretty damn fascinating,
I found the Alien itself, as an entity in the story, to be pretty bland. With the exception of one or two shots it was basically every screeching bouncy Alien since AvP.

Which was all the more highlighted by having the Neomorphs,  which aside from the acid blood and specific life cycle were basically the same thing. You could've had a Neomorph in that last act instead and changed absolutely nothing.

Buttz

Too bad those damn millennials and there phones won't watch it!

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SiL on Nov 26, 2021, 09:41:40 PM
Yeah, I genuinely find the interpretation of the Alien in Covenant, and the nature of its connection to David, to be pretty damn fascinating,
I found the Alien itself, as an entity in the story, to be pretty bland. With the exception of one or two shots it was basically every screeching bouncy Alien since AvP.

Which was all the more highlighted by having the Neomorphs,  which aside from the acid blood and specific life cycle were basically the same thing. You could've had a Neomorph in that last act instead and changed absolutely nothing.

Regardless of the scope of gothic / philosophical horror, the Alien was a waste and poorly handled in Covenant. There's no memorable Alien moment as in the first three movies.

I suppose that crane action scene should be that, but for some reason I tend to remind Neomorphs more than anything the Alien did in that movie.

I think they forgot to show us why the Alien is superior to the Neomorph. The life cycles are somewhat different, but even so the spores appear to be superior. Also, maybe that unused fighting scene between both species showing the Alien as the winner would have helped a bit.

Nightmare Asylum

I'd make an argument in favor of this shot (on a visual level alone, and within the narrative context of the film emphasizing the connection between David and his work-in-progress creation), which has at least personally stuck with me in a pretty poignant way:

I do dislike the way the third act of the film just becomes a mini remake of Alien for a 20 minute stretch once they get on board the Covenant (easily the least effective and least defined part of the movie), and would have been more than happy to shelve the capital-A Alien and save it for a third installment in the prequel narrative, but I do like the way it was visualized on screen and what the nature of its genesis does both for David's character within Covenant's story as well as the thematic embellishment it has within the wider tapestry of what the Alien is and what it does in previous films.

SiL

It is a good shot, but the rest is as generic as the Neomorphs - and the back buster was the real showpiece of the movie.

Kradan

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 02, 2021, 12:24:07 AM
I think they forgot to show us why the Alien is superior to the Neomorph. The life cycles are somewhat different, but even so the spores appear to be superior. Also, maybe that unused fighting scene between both species showing the Alien as the winner would have helped a bit.

I maybe just trying to justify bad writting but stuff like this makes me think that to David "superior" means something other than "has a better reproductive cycle"

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 02, 2021, 01:14:23 AM
would have been more than happy to shelve the capital-A Alien and save it for a third installment in the prequel narrative

I mean, look at George Lucas - man got away with showing probably less than 5 minutes worth of Vader in the entire prequel trilogy !

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Buttz on Dec 01, 2021, 02:20:31 PM
Too bad those damn millennials and there phones won't watch it!

That got a chuckle from me. I did actually mean to go see Last Duel but just never got around to it. Barely saw any marketing here.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Dec 02, 2021, 12:24:07 AM
There's no memorable Alien moment as in the first three movies.

It doesn't amount to much screentime, but I still love that moment where it stands up when coming into the terraforming bay. I still think that just looks creepy as f**k.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Dec 02, 2021, 01:14:23 AM
I do dislike the way the third act of the film just becomes a mini remake of Alien for a 20 minute stretch once they get on board the Covenant (easily the least effective and least defined part of the movie), and would have been more than happy to shelve the capital-A Alien and save it for a third installment in the prequel narrative

I really wish they'd have been left out of Covenant. It's the same issue I had with Engineers/01: Genesis where the Alien just doesn't get treated right once introduced. Whether that's done to screentime/page count, it was just better to have been left out. I'd have liked more time with the Neomorph, and seen something that makes them stand out a little more from the Alien. I do love the Neomorphs, but I have to agree with SiL - can't remember which thread he said it on - about them not being different from the Alien really.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed