Forum Upgraded To SMF 2.1

Started by Darkness, Apr 27, 2022, 05:32:06 PM

Author
Forum Upgraded To SMF 2.1 (Read 9,745 times)

Darkness

Darkness

If you're reading this, the forum has now been upgraded to SMF 2.1.

Feel free to report any issues. Especially if any colours look a bit out of place on the themes. I've tried to check as much as I can.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I mostly like the new changes with exceptions: I don't like that you can't see avatars on mobile, or the large spaces between images on mobile, critically having two different profile drop down menus (the ones with log out options present) I think's needlessly complicated, and finally marking forums read being part of a drop down menu with no other options I think's kinda pointless.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 01, 2022, 10:05:16 AMI mostly like the new changes with exceptions: I don't like that you can't see avatars on mobile

Yeah, that's one of the changes they made. I had mixed feelings about the avatars too. But then thought, people on capped/slow mobile plans aren't going to be wanting to download avatars. I might change it back if people really want it.

Quoteor the large spaces between images on mobile

Have you got a post example?

Quotecritically having two different profile drop down menus (the ones with log out options present) I think's needlessly complicated

Oh, you mean in the header. That one is mine from the homepage. I knew it was duplicating what was already on the forum but just kept in there for consistency. I could have somehow tried to move the forum one to the top but it just would have got too complicated as it wasn't my menu.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=65522.msg2561898#msg2561898

Here's an example of images acting strangely for me anyway.

And Avatars are only 100x100 though, even someone on shoestring internet ought to be able to afford to see them.

Also the header's ability to log in's broken.

And not being able to go to the most recent post in a thread directly's anymore's a downgrade.

Darkness

Darkness

Thanks. I'll sort the images thing out. That shouldn't be happening.

QuoteAlso the header's ability to log in's broken.

And not being able to go to the most recent post in a thread directly's anymore's a downgrade.

Fixed these now.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Too bad I can't resize the fonts to make the site readable.  Looks like I'll finally have to move on.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Darkness on May 01, 2022, 10:16:51 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 01, 2022, 10:05:16 AMI mostly like the new changes with exceptions: I don't like that you can't see avatars on mobile

Yeah, that's one of the changes they made. I had mixed feelings about the avatars too. But then thought, people on capped/slow mobile plans aren't going to be wanting to download avatars. I might change it back if people really want it.
I'd like the avatars back on mobile. It makes it easier to read through threads and see who's posting.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2022, 06:34:20 PMToo bad I can't resize the fonts to make the site readable.  Looks like I'll finally have to move on.

Upping the zoom in the browser works in a pinch.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

So, the draft feature allow you to delete a thread without mods powers?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Darkness on May 01, 2022, 10:43:00 AMThanks. I'll sort the images thing out. That shouldn't be happening.

QuoteAlso the header's ability to log in's broken.

Fixed these now.

Still curiously not an option when using new replies or unread posts.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 01, 2022, 09:43:34 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 01, 2022, 06:34:20 PMToo bad I can't resize the fonts to make the site readable.  Looks like I'll finally have to move on.

Upping the zoom in the browser works in a pinch.

That's what I used to do.  Now it cuts off the rightmost column.  It's a staggeringly frustrating first-world problem.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The changes honestly make the forum feel even more outdated than previously to me in their current state.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Correct.

Darkness

Darkness

Come on guys, comments like these really aren't helpful. I've just spent a solid two months of my time doing this. I agree with most of what you've said and will make improvements.

The bottom line is, and I go through this every time there is an update. People simply don't like change or anything remotely different.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I understand, and appreciate that effort, but it's more the absence of old features rather than the addition of new ones I think people are griping about honestly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed