Should the Alien and predator be more equal in term of strength?

Started by Thatguy2068, Dec 27, 2021, 03:29:39 PM

Author
Should the Alien and predator be more equal in term of strength? (Read 14,350 times)

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Recently I been thinking, should a Single alien be equal in term of strength with the Predator. I get this idea from the AvP where Grid (Alien) fought Celtic (Predator) and won the battle.  During the battle it felt like they are equals from one another even though they have different abilities it looks like it could've gone either side but unfortunately the film never seem to embrace this idea going for more Aliens style where the aliens get kills easily.

RidgeTop

I think it would be a bit boring if every Alien and Predator were evenly matched. Naturally you'll have variations in the skill level and strength of a Predator, and we've seen strength variations in the Aliens such as certain 'alpha' types, or in Alien: Resurrection when they decide to off the weaker one as a means of escape.

Scar gained the upper hand once he had his plasmacaster, and the Aliens retreated to free the queen.

Even in circumstances when they may be close to evenly matched, as they appeared to be with Grid and Celtic, Celtic still had the advantage of a full suit of armor with multiple blades and a netgun. An unarmed Predator would likely be taken out quickly by an Alien.

With Chopper/Grid and Scar/Random Warrior, it's possible they were also close to evenly matched, but one just got the jump on the other or reacted faster and decisively ended things quickly.

Not much different than an MMA fight really, you can have anything from an instant knockout to a full five rounds. That variation and unpredictability makes things interesting in my opinion.

The Cruentus

Grid lost to Celtic in the actual fight but Celtic got cocky and didn't go in for the kill when the alien was down and out, instead he allowed it to recover, and then pin and kill him.

Now in terms of sheer strength, I think maybe the Aliens should have the edge in raw physical might. Certain species of insects have been known to lift and carry multiple times their weight, scale that up for the mesoskeleton biomech horror that is the Alien and that should allow them to out muscle a Predator. But skill does factor in fights so its not a guarantee win for an Alien.

Immortan Jonesy

I agree with Ridgetop on the unpredictable potential when there is inequality between the two creatures, and the various possible circumstances / scenarios in which an Alien or Predator wins a fight.

Also, I think it's best when the antagonic force is more powerful than the hero, and while Predators aren't heroes in the strict sense of the word, audiences aren't going to identify thenself with the Alien (except for some dark folks 🦇👻💀👽). They're the vicious and byceral race of space monsters. The Predators may be hostil toward us most of the time, and yet they're a civilization. It's interesting when the universe and nature push physical resistance and technology to the limit. Thinking that a technologically advanced space hunter can find a challenge in the Alien is quite appealing.

razeak

I prefer the alien being stronger than a Predator. It means the predator has to rely on it's tech even more and would put it up against something physically superior. Sure, Predators are clearly strong enough to pick an alien up, but that should be like sticking your face in a blender in most cases. 

It's like the stupid Throwminator meme. A terminator get its hands on you, it should be game over, not WWE.

Real question, how much could they curl? lol.

Corporal Hicks

Honestly I think the original Alien vs. Predator was balanced quite nicely. Grid should have lost to Celtic when netted. The Predator's should have superior mid to far ranged ability because of their technological advancements. Grid losing because of Celtic's over-confidence was on point. Same as Chopper getting nailed from behind because of his on distraction and the Aliens stealth was also accurate. That said, I do think any actual CQB should be favoured towards the Aliens, unless the Predator is an absolute beast at technique - avoiding the acid damage, using the Alien's own strength against them and etc.

AllHailTheMagicConch

The way I see it is this, the xenomorph is canonically supposed to be bigger, faster, more agile and stronger than your average Pred.  Yeah, a predator can lift Arny with one hand, but a xenomorph can pick you up, crawl up walls and run around with you and haul your ass back to the hive.  As much as I like the AVP portion of the two licenses, most AVP stories end up simplifying both creatures to make them a simple match-up.  Xenos being squishy, quick and nimble and Preds being lumbering muscle machines.  Neither of these descriptions really fit the original creatures.  Honestly, I feel like Preds and Xenos are pretty similar and equal to each other in their original imaginations, so anyone taking on the AVP IP has to simplify them to try and make them feel different and interesting. 

The Cruentus

Quote from: AllHailTheMagicConch on Jan 02, 2022, 02:37:58 PM
The way I see it is this, the xenomorph is canonically supposed to be bigger, faster, more agile and stronger than your average Pred.  Yeah, a predator can lift Arny with one hand, but a xenomorph can pick you up, crawl up walls and run around with you and haul your ass back to the hive.  As much as I like the AVP portion of the two licenses, most AVP stories end up simplifying both creatures to make them a simple match-up.  Xenos being squishy, quick and nimble and Preds being lumbering muscle machines.  Neither of these descriptions really fit the original creatures.  Honestly, I feel like Preds and Xenos are pretty similar and equal to each other in their original imaginations, so anyone taking on the AVP IP has to simplify them to try and make them feel different and interesting.

Yeah, the Alien felt weak in 2010's avp what with the alien, walking on all fours, having no height advantage and being able to be gun butted on your ass by a human. As the melee fighters f three, they should have been more tougher.

Sol

It doesn't make much sense to me for the general, birthed from a human being Xenomorph to be stronger than a Predator. I feel Preds on average, would and should be stronger.

SiL

Birthed-from-human Aliens can beat down metal doors with their bare hands, what possibly indicates they shouldn't be as strong or stronger?

Kradan

Predator can punch the shit out of Governator though

Local Trouble

But didn't Wren say they inherit their strength like their memories though?

SiL

Not in the film at least.

BigDaddyJohn

Big Chap lifted 6ft3 Yaphet Kotto pretty easily also. Pretty sure the guy was really heavy. Possibly as heavy (just not as muscular of course) as Arnold in Predator.

Sol

Sol

Quote from: SiL on Jan 11, 2022, 12:08:37 AM
Birthed-from-human Aliens can beat down metal doors with their bare hands, what possibly indicates they shouldn't be as strong or stronger?

It's nuances, really. Winter Soldier is strong. Super strong. But Spider-Man is stronger. That's how I look at how Preds and Xenos should be scaled.

I also measure strength in more than just one asset. Preds appear to be a bit more resilient to physical harm, being able to take weapons fire of different kinds and still literally keep going, barely showing any sign of being hindered, physically.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed