Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time.

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 06, 2019, 03:43:04 PM

Author
Things you have only just noticed/didn't notice the first time. (Read 47,735 times)

Xenomrph

I only very recently made the connection that the Alien's death is foreshadowed in 'Alien3'.
Spoiler
the hot bucket cracking when the sprinklers turn on after the chemical explosion, the Alien is killed the same way
[close]

Elmazalman

Just noticed this interesting detail. At first, I thought it may be the ribbed cable that runs the length of either side of the Alien's head, but it looks like something else instead?

The ribbed 'feeler' (arrowed) rises up rapidly, as the Alien's jaws open:

Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler

[close]
Spoiler
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

That is interesting, I always imagined parts of the biomechanics functioned like muscles, now we see it.

The Cruentus

Lots of folk have noticed this by now but years ago when I first got it on dvd, I paused the part in Alien 3 when Ripey thinks she sees the Runner which turns out to be a pipe, however by pausing it, you can clearly see that the Alien was actually there, so either she was hallucinating or the thing moved really fast before she could strike it.

Before I wasn't sure due to the area resembling the biomechanics of the alien, also during that scene, the basement looks similar to hive, just its metal pipes, wires and wierd walls instead resin.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

The Aliens' have much bigger mouths than they first appear; At first it looks like they have a normal gape, but if you look really closely, you can see their jaw continues and has openings PAST WHAT A HUMAN WOULD

In some cases or designs, it's obvious...

But in other's it's a little more subtle just how wide their primary jaws can open

https://imgur.com/a/ZyvYcJg

The Old One

The Old One

Generally I prefer the original in such a respect.

SiL

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 26, 2020, 09:09:38 PM
Just noticed this interesting detail. At first, I thought it may be the ribbed cable that runs the length of either side of the Alien's head, but it looks like something else instead?

The ribbed 'feeler' (arrowed) rises up rapidly, as the Alien's jaws open:

Watching it in motion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmtVxKj5lO4&t=30s) it does just look like the cable from the jaw to the back of the head just pops up suddenly. Doesn't happen on the Burke kill.

(that said, I'd never noticed that, so it's still a good catch :D)

The Cruentus

The acid from the facehugger in Alien 3 is far more greener than before, usually their blood is a yellowy green.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Feb 06, 2020, 06:56:58 AM
Generally I prefer the original in such a respect.

I'll admit the gape can look a little silly at times, but I still kinda like it-It gives off a grinning, predatory vibe, plus it looks like the creature can actually open its mouth up far enough that it at least looks like it can use the actual teeth in its real head.

SM

Quote from: Kenner_Alien_Kaste on Feb 05, 2020, 04:44:27 PM
The Aliens' have much bigger mouths than they first appear; At first it looks like they have a normal gape, but if you look really closely, you can see their jaw continues and has openings PAST WHAT A HUMAN WOULD

But in other's it's a little more subtle just how wide their primary jaws can open

I noticed the mouth years ago when I was trying to make a 3D model of an Alien.  I started with a generic human skull and could not work out for the life of me why it didn't look right.  Took me ages to work out that Giger only used the skull - not a human jaw.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2020, 11:49:50 PM
Quote from: Kenner_Alien_Kaste on Feb 05, 2020, 04:44:27 PM

I noticed the mouth years ago when I was trying to make a 3D model of an Alien.  I started with a generic human skull and could not work out for the life of me why it didn't look right.  Took me ages to work out that Giger only used the skull - not a human jaw.

Yeah, took me a while too. Cuz even in some designs or busts or angles they've got very human like chins-but beyond that they've got a VERY different jaw, which given the nature, size, and amount of teeth they have makes sense-they couldn't exactly fit that prize winning grin on a normal human jawbone.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Feb 06, 2020, 11:49:50 PM
I'm sure I read this somewhere, if not in this book, but I think there's a line in The Book of ALIEN (1979), that explains Giger did use the lower jaw from the human skull, but sawed through it, cutting it in half (width wise) and elongating it to fit the upper skull (now attached to the long Alien head).

EDIT* I've found the quote. It's from FANTASTIC FILMS: The Magazine of Visual Fantasy and Science Fiction (September/1979).

Dan O'Bannon on H.R. Giger. Page 14:

"It was such a beautiful human skull, you know, it had been a real person, not like one of those plastic model kits - and he takes out his hack saw and he saws the jawbone off and extends the jawbone, like six inches, puts an extension in it, and creates this distorted jawbone! Then he starts attaching other fixtures to it and building a new extension on the back of it. He's doing this to a real human skull!"

The Cruentus

Interesting, Well at least someone's corpse was getting used for a greater purpose  :laugh:

Recently played AVP2010 yesterday and it had been ages since I played it, I only now noticed the opera-like music in the final level of the Predator campaign, it really stands out when using headphones.

SiL

In the 70s/80s it could actually be cheaper to use real human bones than props. See also, Poltergeist.

PredBabe

I knew about Poltergeist but never knew they used an actual human skull for the Alien!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed