Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,294 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 09, 2019, 09:28:07 PM
Quote from: MaineXeno on Feb 09, 2019, 02:14:12 PM
For example I just now noticed that the love interest girl was cut in half by the predator.
That's actually a new thing they added for the unrated,  not something you can now just see better.

It's the fact one can see at all, that gets a thumbs up.

SiL

You could always see it.

Just very poorly.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Feb 09, 2019, 10:36:25 PM
You could always see it.

Just very poorly.

Which is why we pay attention to this:

I didn't notice any lightning issues at all.

SM

You can't notice what you can't see.

Voodoo Magic

When you remember watching things that were so dark you couldn't tell what was happening, and now you no longer have that problem through the entire movie...

MaineXeno

MaineXeno

I took some screenshots of scenes i remember not seeing well.

The Old One

The Old One

Still looks dark as f**k, no different from my Blu-ray.

SM

Yeah those aren't great examples.

MaineXeno

im still not a huge fan of the movie. i just gained a greater appreciation for some aspects of it because i could actual tell what was happening.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 09, 2019, 10:40:57 PM
Which is why we pay attention to this:

I didn't notice any lightning issues at all.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JoyousJollyIndochinesetiger-size_restricted.gif
I don't remember there being any problems with the lightning in the film. Aren't there only one or two strikes?

Quote from: MaineXeno on Feb 10, 2019, 12:36:03 AM
That's exactly as bad as people have been talking about, though. There's so little contrast in the hive scene it's hard to tell what you're looking at. That trophy cabinet looks worse than it does on my DVD copy.

SM

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: MaineXeno on Feb 10, 2019, 12:36:03 AM

Nice screenshots! I'm glad you had a much better experience. Some see these small computer screenshots of dark, moody scenes not appearing like bright rays of sunshine some sort of validation of disdain, regardless of how encouraged you are with your new experience. I for one am glad with the new enjoyment you found with the improved visibility, nor will be pretentious to accuse the clarity you've experienced as fictitious. Cheers!

The Old One

The Old One

No one's saying the image improvement is fictitious. We acknowledged that it isn't, from DVD to Blu-ray. It's still badly lit and colour timed on a basic filmmaking level, any student would be ashamed of.

It's not dark and moody, it's just badly done and passed off as that.  Alien is dark and moody, Covenant's dark and moody, Under The Skin's dark and moody, IWA Vampire's dark and moody- none of them are badly lit, or have severely f**ked up Blu-ray masters.

Voodoo Magic

No one's saying there were not drastic problems Old One. But some people are saying while there were drastic problems, these problems were significantly improved with the blu-ray so much so it greatly improved our viewing experience. Myself, Huggs, Vermillion, MaineXeno. There's enough support here to validate credibility in the result.

The Old One

The Old One

It improved my viewing experience too, but not to the degree I would ever say;

"No lightning issues at all."
"Clear as daylight."
"Visibility was no longer an issue."

Making me think that there's a new release with the colour timing fixed that's been snuck under the radar, then posting screenshots identical to my Blu-ray causes frustration. Jus' hyperbolic statements because visibility is still an issue, the film is lit shamefully, a film student wouldn't get a C for lighting their film like Requiem.

Requiem's kind of amazing because I can't think of one basic filmmaking level it doesn't fail on, despite a good Predator design and the whip, the film has absolutely nothing going for it. It's the benchmark of bad for the A\/P Franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed