Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,357 times)

SM

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 05, 2019, 01:07:50 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2019, 03:52:51 AM
Finished watching AvP:R - I think for the first time on blu-ray on a good telly (rather than on a PC).

- Even mucking around with the TV settings - it's really, really dark.
- Why did Wolf just look at the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) through the hole in the concrete at the end of the sewer fight instead of just shooting it in the face?
- How did Wolf not see the Alien crawling underneath him at the power plant when he had his 'See the Alien' mode on?
- Picture quality - often VERY grainy.  Being a pretty recent flick I didn't expect so much noise/ grain during scenes where there's a smoked out background (the Predator up in the tree healing himself is an example).
- The whip was a cool weapon - pity we can't see it being used in the department store due to it being so dark.
- Failure to exploit the lighting when the PredAlien (see above) approaches the hospital.  Could've been cool if they used the red ambulance lights so they you could catch glimpses of the creature.  As it is, it a black mass, moving a bit in a larger black mass, with a rare red highlight.
- After the department store we pan up from an Alien body to the roof where Wolf sorts his guns out.  Has he abandoned his cover up mission by this point because he takes off to the hospital without cleaning up the mess on the pavement.  Same deal with the dead Aliens in the sewer come to think of it.  And if the blue Alien Eraser Fluid (TM) reacts so well with water as per the pool - why not just pour some in the sewer water in the first place?
- It is literally impossible to see what happened to Ricky's boss from the pizza shop.
- The CG shots of the of the Aliens scurrying on walls look better than the suits.  Plus they're often in Predator vision mode so you can actually see them.
- Woodruff Jnr's curled claw 'Kill him my evil minions!' performance as the PredAlien (et al) in the hospital hive just pips the stupid backhander in the sewer as Tom's Worst Alien Scene.
- Grain/ noise/ artifacts/ whatever it is, is terrible in some of the final fight shots.
- The slow reveal of Wolf taking his mask off is beyond pointless.  We know what he looks like from the start of the film; and in this scene the 'reveal' isn't especially revealing.
- When they stab each other at the end I just noticed the jet in the sky above them, which was cool.
- The soundtrack for all its fan filmesque greatest hitsness, is quite effective on occasion.  Interesting that only two existing tracks from Predator are mentioned in the credits.  Guess you don't need to if it's only mostly note-for-note.

Just watching the behind the scenes featurettes - what would've been seen as confidence had this film done well - comments like "Being brothers we have an unfair advantage as directors" and 'What's scarier, something that happens way out in space or in your own backyard' - comes across as arrogance.

*Gives SM the "I survived watching AVP-R" award*  You probably feel like you need some drinks about now.  :laugh:

Had to shower first.

Local Trouble

What about the egg-barfing?

Voodoo Magic

Who doesn't love a good old-fashioned egg-barfing.

The Kurgan

Local Trouble

Voodoo Magic

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 05, 2019, 07:50:53 PM

I tried to avoid the stuff that's so obviously f**king stupid that it's been rightly criticised ad nauseum.

TheSailingRabbit

Voodoo.

I hate you.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2019, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 05, 2019, 07:50:53 PM

I tried to avoid the stuff that's so obviously f**king stupid that it's been rightly criticised ad nauseum.

Mightn't it have been inspired by the unorthodox breeding experiments in Aliens Labyrinth?  Specifically...

Spoiler

[close]

Voodoo Magic

And could this also be a Predator's reproductive organ?

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Sure looks like a reproductive organ.

Maybe the predators lay eggs/give birth with their mouth King Piccolo style ;D

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 05, 2019, 08:16:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RUkoJ4w.gif

The multiple chestbursters thing was dumb, but having this a momentary way of reproduction for a young queen... well its oral rape, its very ALIEN like, and less of the ALIENS-bug like reproduction. It just needed to have more setbacks, otherwise there isn't a reason to motivate the Queen to lay eggs instead of doing this forever.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 05, 2019, 08:16:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RUkoJ4w.gif

Whoo! dat's hot.

And notice, you can see everything quite clearly. Must be from the bluray  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed