Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,818 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Watched it last night, this time the thing that really bothered me was how quickly things went around after the lights go out. From a scene to another the city is implied to be already under aliens control, but so far Chet haven't reached the hospital, establishing a hive and making all those multiple bellybursters. Yet somehow there are enough aliens to kill the national guard as well as a shitload of citizens, as people were already thinking about evacuating the town despite that at this time there can't be more than 3 aliens besides Chet.

Feels like there are 30 minutes missing there. If the scenes with Chet at the hospital were placed earlier, maybe it could work a little better, since those extra aliens would come from there, and in the way things are, those bellybursters must have grown really fast, considering the amount of adult aliens we see at that last hospital sequence. So despite that at the start the facehuggers take a little longer to impregnate, after that Chet pulls a AVP and its done. Hmm... maybe fanedit can make some difference.

The speeded up life cycle also bothered me on AVP, as well as how fast the hive and the eggs spread across the pyramid, but on AVPR the aliens simply increase their numbers without explanation, unless Chet found other pregnant woman on the way to the hospital offscreen.

Local Trouble

Did you like the egg-barfing though?

Voodoo Magic

SiL

Chet found the pregnant waitress, but yeah, it feels like the town gets entirely overrun by about 9 Aliens including Chet.

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2019, 11:46:20 PM
Did you like the egg-barfing though?

Damn you really like asking that.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 05, 2019, 11:19:37 PM
The multiple chestbursters thing was dumb, but having this a momentary way of reproduction for a young queen... well its oral rape, its very ALIEN like, and less of the ALIENS-bug like reproduction. It just needed to have more setbacks, otherwise there isn't a reason to motivate the Queen to lay eggs instead of doing this forever.

I'm mixed about it.

Local Trouble

At least I didn't mention Synthol.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: SiL on Feb 07, 2019, 11:50:47 PM
Chet found the pregnant waitress, but yeah, it feels like the town gets entirely overrun by about 9 Aliens including Chet.

The bursters on the waitress seems to burst around the same time as the city gets overrun, I assumed they weren't fully grown so I didn't count. But I realize now, it doesn't matter if Chet had found other hosts on the way to the hospital it still wouldn't fit in, as the waitress would still be the first that got impregnated after the sewer fight. Only if the aliens had already kidnapped some before and the bursters were on their way to being born while the sewer fight happened.

We see 3 aliens leaving with Chet at the sewers. One goes to the powerplant, another attacks the couple with a kid and the other goes for the pool? Was the homeless woman suppose to be pregnant? In that case we would have more 4 aliens, but those weren't present during the sewer fight, only if they were somewhere else for some reason.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 07, 2019, 11:56:56 PM
At least I didn't mention Synthol.

What happens on the Politics Sub-Forum stays on the Politics Sub-Forum.

Local Trouble

The AvP predators looked like they had some Synthol in them.

SiL

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 08, 2019, 12:02:34 AM
The bursters on the waitress seems to burst around the same time as the city gets overrun, I assumed they weren't fully grown so I didn't count. But I realize now, it doesn't matter if Chet had found other hosts on the way to the hospital it still wouldn't fit in, as the waitress would still be the first that got impregnated after the sewer fight. Only if the aliens had already kidnapped some and the bursters were on the way to being born while the sewer fight happened.

We see 3 aliens leaving with Chet at the sewers. One goes to the powerplant, another attacks the couple with a kid and the other goes for the pool? Was the homeless women suppose to be pregnant? In that case we would have more 4 aliens, but those weren't present during the sewer fight, only if they were somewhere else for some reason.
The whole thing's a mess. The homeless woman gets killed, not impregnated. You're right, the waitress only bursts once the power goes out -- which is the same time everyone's mysteriously dying.

Basically they put all of no thought into it.

And there's no excuse -- the problem was there from the first draft, where Aliens pour out of the sewers from ... f**k knows where. There was no reproduction of any kind in the original script. The egg barfing was used to address that, but they forgot to address the whole "where the f**k do the Aliens come from to take over the town in the first place" issue.

Voodoo Magic

Much of the infestations was going on behind the scenes.  Like that decently long graveyard scene with Kelly and Molly. You hear yelling, screams, gun shots, etc. all in the background, suggesting so much more going on all over town.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2019, 12:14:11 AM
Much of the infestations was going on behind the scenes.  Like that decently long graveyard scene with Kelly and Molly. You hear yelling, screams, gun shots, etc. all in the background, suggesting so much more going on all over town.
With all of like 3 adult Aliens at the time. The belly bursters aren't born until the power goes out, which is like one or two scenes before. They did a really shit job of establishing the Alien infestation spreading.

(keep in mind the waitress was the first one impregnated after they escaped the sewers, so would've been the first to burst. Any others Chet might've got would still be gestating.)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 08, 2019, 12:11:33 AM

Some??? ;D

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 08, 2019, 12:11:33 AM

Their arms didn't look big enough by my standards. I suppose next to others they look big as they are 7 foot tall but alone their proportions aren't impressive. The armor is what makes them look so bulky.

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2019, 12:13:26 AM
The whole thing's a mess. The homeless woman gets killed, not impregnated.

Really? The way Chet pushed the other alien that was about to kill her made me think it was going to do the egg-barfing. Like why else would it stop the other alien from killing her instead? Only if Chet was trying the egg-barfing for the first time, inexperienced about how it works, and accidentally killed as the woman was not pregnant, so it didn't work with her. I once imagined the Alien of the first movie trying something like that with Lambert out of curiosity. But that was before the Queen was created so whatever.

Also I imagined the multiple bursters would come from pregnant women but if Chet tried that with the average girl only one would come out.

SiL

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 08, 2019, 12:21:44 AM
Really? The way Chet pushed the other alien that was about to kill her made me think it was going to do the egg-barfing.
It's hard to tell in the film. Colin said it killed her because he didn't want the PredAlien to just impregnate women the whole film.

Local Trouble

Why wouldn't he if given the opportunity?  Chet's inconsistent behavior makes me question the quality of the writing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed