AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie

Started by War Wager, Apr 22, 2008, 04:29:38 PM

Which is your least fave movie of the whole franchise?

Predator
6 (1%)
Predator 2
15 (2.6%)
AvP: Alien vs. Predator
51 (8.8%)
AvPR: Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem
270 (46.6%)
Alien
9 (1.6%)
Aliens
7 (1.2%)
Alien³
37 (6.4%)
Alien Resurrection
101 (17.4%)
Predators
12 (2.1%)
Prometheus
25 (4.3%)
Alien Covenant
12 (2.1%)
The Predator
34 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 559

Author
AvPGalaxy's Least Favourite Movie (Read 232,210 times)

Voodoo Magic

I didn't want the Predator cast redux either. Sterling K Brown or even Thomas Jane in the lead would have worked better I think. The casting problem that grows with each viewing is Boyd to me, not a failure to be like the 1987 cast.

I actually loved when it was going to be Benicio Del Toro. Aww man, the charisma. Now you're talking!!! :o

'Narcos' Star Boyd Holbrook in Talks to Replace Benicio Del Toro in Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot (Exclusive)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/predator-reboot-narcos-star-boyd-937544

Ivan The Insect

Call me crazy but I quite like Resurrection! I was 8 when I saw it so my nostalgia goggles might be the reason...

Requiem however is beyond saving... I like AvP but the sequel should have been something similar to the games, not a teenage horror B movie.

Voodoo Magic

Iseijin

Iseijin

The Predator

There was nothing "Predator" about it. You could take the entire script, the entire plot, and just switch the Predator with any sci-fi generic monster, and almost nothing would needed to be changed. No one would have noticed.

Now, how can you tell a good Predator movie? When you do the same and it completely stands out.

For example: In the original Predator, for many, what made us fall in love with it was the final fight scene. It's iconic in many ways, but without a word the way the Predator reveals himself to Dutch and takes off his armor to fight evenly matched told us so much about the core of the Predator. It wasn't a mindless monster. There is intelligence, there is a boundary not even the Predator would cross, and recognizes this human as something worthy - equal, even. This was also captured at the end of Predator 2, the fight scene in the ship and the nobility the Predators displayed towards Harrigan. They outnumbered him, but displayed greater respect for their traditions than in the mere bloodlust of the kill.

You replace any of those scenes with a generic sci-fi monster, even with the same behaviors, it wouldn't fit. Those are Predator actions, their essence, their core. Irreplaceable. We'd point and say it acts like a Predator, because we know what a Predator is and its behaviors.

The Predator? Had none of that. It was basic, superficial, and - above all- heartless. The monster LOOKED like a Predator, but it wasn't one.

Kradan

Kradan

:'(

Voodoo Magic

Kradan, look out!!!

Kradan

Kradan

:'( :'(

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Space Bug on Jun 04, 2020, 03:58:50 PM
Call me crazy but I quite like Resurrection! I was 8 when I saw it so my nostalgia goggles might be the reason...

Saw it at a similar age and hated it. It grew on me over my teen years and is now something of a favourite.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 05, 2020, 09:09:25 PM

Saw it at a similar age and hated it. It grew on me over my teen years and is now something of a favourite.

Voodoo be like the guy from 300.

"This is blasphemy! This is madness!

StrangeShape

Interesting. When I saw it it was neither good nor bad for me, but it did instantly tainted the mythology for me and made it uninteresting. Took years to get back in the saddle and now I absolutely despise it. Still, the absolute embarassing worst is The Predator. I can't believe an adult person or executive would write or greenlit or even release this film. But its just plain horribly bad, its not offensively bad like Resurrection or AVP:R

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 05, 2020, 10:18:38 PM

Interesting. When I saw it it was neither good nor bad for me, but it did instantly tainted the mythology for me and made it uninteresting. Took years to get back in the saddle and now I absolutely despise it. Still, the absolute embarassing worst is The Predator. I can't believe an adult person or executive would write or greenlit or even release this film. But its just plain horribly bad, its not offensively bad like Resurrection or AVP:R

Lol okay. Maybe it's just how my brain works but a delightfully lush visual feast with a bunch of crazy shit set 200 years after the close of the trilogy is... fine? It has no impact on my enjoyment of the others despite the departure in tone.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 05, 2020, 10:18:38 PM

Considering what it did to the wonderful legacy of Ripley, oh hellz yeah, it's offensively bad.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I greatly prefer Resurrection over AvPR or The Predator.

Ivan The Insect

Resurrection's only sin is being an Alien movie, viewing it as a separate movie actually makes it far far better.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Space Bug on Jun 06, 2020, 02:16:23 PMResurrection's only sin is being an Alien movie, viewing it as a separate movie actually makes it far far better.

^ This.

I say it all the time - Resurrection's a decent film, it's just a bad sequel to the entries that came before it.

Requiem isn't even competently made.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed