Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 06, 2018, 11:33:27 AM

Author
Why does everybody hate AVP: Requiem so much? (Read 44,259 times)

The Kurgan

@ everyone

allright there are some great ones in there. I did not really think about it when i was asking, but there are great later entries.

So, there is still hope for Alien\Predator and even AVP after all ;)

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2019, 06:38:57 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jan 09, 2019, 06:35:02 PM
Thor Ragnarok

Really good one!

Agreed. I did not expect anything after Dark World, but man, Ragnarok was a great ride.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2019, 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 09, 2019, 06:09:57 PM
Harry Potter, yes.

True!

Spoiler
Is Michael Biehn in T2?
[close]

Spoiler
In the "Special Edition" Director's cut, yes.
[close]

I'll be searching extensively for that.

Stitch

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 09, 2019, 06:43:11 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2019, 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 09, 2019, 06:09:57 PM
Harry Potter, yes.

True!

Spoiler
Is Michael Biehn in T2?
[close]

Spoiler
In the "Special Edition" Director's cut, yes.
[close]

I'll be searching extensively for that.
No need to search extensively, it's pretty common. The Skynet Edition blu ray has it, and the US Region 1 Ultimate edition DVD has it as well, as a hidden feature. It's apparently available streaming from Amazon labelled as the director's cut.

SM

SM

I was watching AvP:R yesterday.  The sewer fight.  Decent old build up - but just before Wolf roars his challenge he checks his map, and there's one, possibly two, exits without laser grids; one of which the Aliens in fact escape through.

The other issue - it's over in less than a minute.

The Cruentus

I'm sure he also blew a hole as well that aided their escape, I try not to watch AVP-R much so I might be wrong.

SM

SM

Finished watching AvP:R - I think for the first time on blu-ray on a good telly (rather than on a PC).

- Even mucking around with the TV settings - it's really, really dark.
- Why did Wolf just look at the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) through the hole in the concrete at the end of the sewer fight instead of just shooting it in the face?
- How did Wolf not see the Alien crawling underneath him at the power plant when he had his 'See the Alien' mode on?
- Picture quality - often VERY grainy.  Being a pretty recent flick I didn't expect so much noise/ grain during scenes where there's a smoked out background (the Predator up in the tree healing himself is an example).
- The whip was a cool weapon - pity we can't see it being used in the department store due to it being so dark.
- Failure to exploit the lighting when the PredAlien (see above) approaches the hospital.  Could've been cool if they used the red ambulance lights so they you could catch glimpses of the creature.  As it is, it a black mass, moving a bit in a larger black mass, with a rare red highlight.
- After the department store we pan up from an Alien body to the roof where Wolf sorts his guns out.  Has he abandoned his cover up mission by this point because he takes off to the hospital without cleaning up the mess on the pavement.  Same deal with the dead Aliens in the sewer come to think of it.  And if the blue Alien Eraser Fluid (TM) reacts so well with water as per the pool - why not just pour some in the sewer water in the first place?
- It is literally impossible to see what happened to Ricky's boss from the pizza shop.
- The CG shots of the of the Aliens scurrying on walls look better than the suits.  Plus they're often in Predator vision mode so you can actually see them.
- Woodruff Jnr's curled claw 'Kill him my evil minions!' performance as the PredAlien (et al) in the hospital hive just pips the stupid backhander in the sewer as Tom's Worst Alien Scene.
- Grain/ noise/ artifacts/ whatever it is, is terrible in some of the final fight shots.
- The slow reveal of Wolf taking his mask off is beyond pointless.  We know what he looks like from the start of the film; and in this scene the 'reveal' isn't especially revealing.
- When they stab each other at the end I just noticed the jet in the sky above them, which was cool.
- The soundtrack for all its fan filmesque greatest hitsness, is quite effective on occasion.  Interesting that only two existing tracks from Predator are mentioned in the credits.  Guess you don't need to if it's only mostly note-for-note.

Just watching the behind the scenes featurettes - what would've been seen as confidence had this film done well - comments like "Being brothers we have an unfair advantage as directors" and 'What's scarier, something that happens way out in space or in your own backyard' - comes across as arrogance.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Feb 05, 2019, 03:52:51 AM
Finished watching AvP:R - I think for the first time on blu-ray on a good telly (rather than on a PC).

- Even mucking around with the TV settings - it's really, really dark.
- Why did Wolf just look at the PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) through the hole in the concrete at the end of the sewer fight instead of just shooting it in the face?
- How did Wolf not see the Alien crawling underneath him at the power plant when he had his 'See the Alien' mode on?
- Picture quality - often VERY grainy.  Being a pretty recent flick I didn't expect so much noise/ grain during scenes where there's a smoked out background (the Predator up in the tree healing himself is an example).
- The whip was a cool weapon - pity we can't see it being used in the department store due to it being so dark.
- Failure to exploit the lighting when the PredAlien (see above) approaches the hospital.  Could've been cool if they used the red ambulance lights so they you could catch glimpses of the creature.  As it is, it a black mass, moving a bit in a larger black mass, with a rare red highlight.
- After the department store we pan up from an Alien body to the roof where Wolf sorts his guns out.  Has he abandoned his cover up mission by this point because he takes off to the hospital without cleaning up the mess on the pavement.  Same deal with the dead Aliens in the sewer come to think of it.  And if the blue Alien Eraser Fluid (TM) reacts so well with water as per the pool - why not just pour some in the sewer water in the first place?
- It is literally impossible to see what happened to Ricky's boss from the pizza shop.
- The CG shots of the of the Aliens scurrying on walls look better than the suits.  Plus they're often in Predator vision mode so you can actually see them.
- Woodruff Jnr's curled claw 'Kill him my evil minions!' performance as the PredAlien (et al) in the hospital hive just pips the stupid backhander in the sewer as Tom's Worst Alien Scene.
- Grain/ noise/ artifacts/ whatever it is, is terrible in some of the final fight shots.
- The slow reveal of Wolf taking his mask off is beyond pointless.  We know what he looks like from the start of the film; and in this scene the 'reveal' isn't especially revealing.
- When they stab each other at the end I just noticed the jet in the sky above them, which was cool.
- The soundtrack for all its fan filmesque greatest hitsness, is quite effective on occasion.  Interesting that only two existing tracks from Predator are mentioned in the credits.  Guess you don't need to if it's only mostly note-for-note.

Just watching the behind the scenes featurettes - what would've been seen as confidence had this film done well - comments like "Being brothers we have an unfair advantage as directors" and 'What's scarier, something that happens way out in space or in your own backyard' - comes across as arrogance.

*Gives SM the "I survived watching AVP-R" award*  You probably feel like you need some drinks about now.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Nah. No drinks necessary! There's a growing contingent of fans who like watching AVP-R. There's at least 5 of us now!

The Cruentus

*Gets the re-educating metal bar out*  Not if anything to say about it, I have!!   :laugh:

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 05, 2019, 03:33:34 PM
*Gets the re-educating metal bar out*  Not if anything to say about it, I have!!   :laugh:

That's not gonna work on Voodoo.

I tried that once.

The Kurgan

A heretic can be tolerated, but a heresy cannot.  :D

Voodoo Magic

Me. RidgeTop. Huggsy. Tipsy Vermillion. Local Trouble (when his other choice is Alien Resurrection.)

I don't know, we're a rough & tumble group. You sure you want to mess with us?

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 05, 2019, 03:51:07 PM

Me. RidgeTop. Huggsy. Tipsy Vermillion. Local Trouble (when his other choice is Alien Resurrection.)

I don't know, we're a rough & tumble group. You sure you want to mess with us?

https://media.giphy.com/media/cY7uke8qWczuM/giphy.gif

I would argue, but you used a Near Dark gif, so I'll shut up.

The Cruentus

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Feb 05, 2019, 03:38:44 PM

That's not gonna work on Voodoo.

I tried that once.

Yeah, he might like it too much but stilll....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwIzaLy5gM  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

So, so wrong, on so many levels.  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed