Would we have been fine with an adaptation of Concrete Jungle (the game)?

Started by SuperiorIronman, Jun 18, 2020, 03:47:00 AM

Author
Would we have been fine with an adaptation of Concrete Jungle (the game)? (Read 1,494 times)

SuperiorIronman

I got to thinking about Predator games recently and how overall Predator fans just have more a habit of "just go with it" when it comes to weird lore bits. I'm not saying we're all going to accept The Predator at some point like we did AVP eventually, but given The Predator's subject matter what if they adapted Concrete Jungle into a film? Or even a couple of films given the game's timeline.

Of course the most bizarre element of the game was the reveal that the Borgia family had been vampirizing the Predators blood to live longer (a lore detail that ended up in mainline canon weirdly enough) and if that wasn't enough the final boss is Hunter Borgia having turned himself into a Predator-Human hybrid complete with exaggerated Predator weapons. Now of course elements here ended up in The Predator even almost having a Human-Predator hybrid though technically Fugitive was one. Around here we tend to like Concrete Jungle and for Predator fans it's something of a gem that they'd pay out the nose for. So given all the weird little elements of the game, would an adaptation of it have made for a lore acceptable film? And given how The Predator worked out, would we be willing to see an adaptation of Concrete Jungle in the future?

I'm not asking if it would've made for a good film (though I'd be at least interested in how they'd handle a Predator lead) it's more if the game would've been lore friendly despite the similarities of the prior entry.

OpenMaw

Not in my book.

First off it ties itself way too much into the Alien lore and ignores a lot of the potential in film lore that already existed for the Predator.
Second the story really isn't that great. It's servicable for a game, but as a film it wouldn't really be all that great.

Taking the basic aspects of the plot, you could make something out of it. A Predator returns to Earth to reclaim his place in his clan after a botched hunt years prior, the result of which was humanity gainign access to Predator technology.

That as a basic plot summary works... It's a lot of the details of the games plot that just wouldn't work outside of a game. You'd really have to work on it... and frankly the weirder stuff with the Borgia family would be best left on the cutting room floor.

Instead you could simply have it be that the predator killed a large swath of the Borgia crime family, and the survivors descendants had basically built an empire out of tracking down and exploiting the hunters as they appeared, making use of their technology, but also enraging the Predators as a whole because they could not "safely"  hunt on Earth anymore.

Stitch

Having a Predator protagonist would be weird. In order to adapt it you'd have to have something like a detective story where the main character is actually on the periphery of what's happening.
Maybe they're investigating the Borgias and happen to find themselves in the middle of the Predator's quest. The backstory about the original hunt which disgraced the Pred could be uncovered in archives and the full story put together as part of the investigation.
Effectively you'd have a serial killer investigation movie, but the serial killer is a predator. Actually, that could work really well even if the concrete jungle storyline wasn't used. Se7en with a predator instead of John Doe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed