Prometheus ConceptArt/MakingOf/BehindTheScenes - MasterThread

Started by LarsVader, Jun 14, 2012, 12:34:13 PM

Author
Prometheus ConceptArt/MakingOf/BehindTheScenes - MasterThread (Read 219,635 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

"It represented the beginning of Giger's alien, although It did not directly resemble that creature. We went through a long design process with Ridley, who was really throwing the Giger card out there, trying to see what we could come up with."
- Neal Scanlan (Cinefex #130)

Xenomrph

No I mean, wasn't there like an actual quote from Ridley himself where he says it's not the "first Alien" or whatever, what with the Derelict predating it by thousands of years, etc?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Never read anything along those lines.

Everyone in the creative team worked with the idea that the Deacon was a proto-Alien, or an ancestor of the Alien. No, it does not mean the Deacon in Prometheus is the first of these things to be born. It's like a century from now people discover a still-working iPhone prototype and then the iPhone 5.

Xenomrph

I'll keep digging I guess, but I definitely remember hearing/reading somewhere from Ridley himself saying that the Deacon wasn't "the first Alien" or something like that.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Please refer back to me when you do, cos I'd need something like that for my article. :)

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. I'd love to see it too.

SiL

Closest I can find:

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-2-sequel-interview/#more-170207
QuoteScott:  Yeah, but I couldn't help that, because I didn't know, did I? (Laughs) For all intents and purposes this is very loosely a prequel, very, and then you say "But how did that ship evolve in the first Alien?" Then I would say "Actually he's one of the group that had gone off and his cargo had gotten out of control," because he was heading somewhere else and it got out of control and actually he had died in the process and that would be the story there. That ship happened to be a brother to the ship that you see that comes out of the ground at the end. They are roughly of the same period give or take a couple hundred years, right?

Meaning the Aliens already exist as we know them in the Alien movies thousands of years ago.

Master

:o
Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Jun 19, 2014, 05:27:43 AM
It certainly was not used that much; I think it's just the part where the Engineer decapitates David and first throws his head on the ground (David saying something like "sorry" as his head hits the ground is animatronic).  The rest of the scenes are pretty much Michael Fassbender in the flesh, edited with the animatronic neck.
It was used when Shaw puts David's head into the bag. Very short scene but it's clearly this head.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SiL on Sep 15, 2014, 07:04:32 AM
Closest I can find:

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-prometheus-2-sequel-interview/#more-170207
QuoteScott:  Yeah, but I couldn't help that, because I didn't know, did I? (Laughs) For all intents and purposes this is very loosely a prequel, very, and then you say "But how did that ship evolve in the first Alien?" Then I would say "Actually he's one of the group that had gone off and his cargo had gotten out of control," because he was heading somewhere else and it got out of control and actually he had died in the process and that would be the story there. That ship happened to be a brother to the ship that you see that comes out of the ground at the end. They are roughly of the same period give or take a couple hundred years, right?

Meaning the Aliens already exist as we know them in the Alien movies thousands of years ago.

Interesting. Doesn't rule out the Deacon as a prototype or ancestor, though.

SiL

Really kind'a does. The Deacon needed an infected human male to inseminate a human female who then gave birth to a squid-hugger-thing which then impregnated an Engineer. That's a ridiculously convoluted, not to mention awfully precise, sequence of events that needed to happen -- and considering the only consistent thing about the black goo in the movie is that its reactions with individuals are inconsistent, the movie basically shows (intentionally or not) that even if you did recreate those circumstances, you'd get different results anyway.

SM

But if Engineers are genetically identical to humans, you'd just need an accelerant infected male Engineer to shag a female Engineer, and the resulting offspring impregnates another Engineer.

Ignoring of course that Riddles said they'd likely evolved past gender a long time ago.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Sep 15, 2014, 09:38:23 AM
But if Engineers are genetically identical to humans, you'd just need an accelerant infected male Engineer to shag a female Engineer, and the resulting offspring impregnates another Engineer.
Quote from: SiL on Sep 15, 2014, 09:27:35 AM
and considering the only consistent thing about the black goo in the movie is that its reactions with individuals are inconsistent, the movie basically shows (intentionally or not) that even if you did recreate those circumstances, you'd get different results anyway.

Covered it even without Riddles' "They're beyond gender now" :P

SM

Not sure.  I think on the commentary, he said that Fifield, Holloway and the Engineer head would've all ultimately suffered the same fate.

A 'sploded head.

That is if Holloway hadn't been torched, he would've ended up like Fifield.

Dunno how that'd apply to the worm things.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

The hammerpede worms would've died and their bodies might have been full with "tiny" worms/trilobites... as Holloway was. :P

In the Spaihts draft the "goo" is consistent in its effects. It spreads genes from one species to another. At the start of the spaihts script, it killed an engineer and gave its dna to a human. Later, it gives xenomorph dna to Fifield.

(I think it still has the same effect in the film... but you have to assume each "cannister" has different DNA.... the one that fifield and the worms are exposed to has xeno dna... the one that Holloway is exposed to has "something" else, probably... etc. What the Engineer consumes early in the film has no DNA inside it... so it just consumes the Engineer and its dna.. to spread later to the rest of the planet.)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Omegazilla on Sep 15, 2014, 08:19:41 AMInteresting. Doesn't rule out the Deacon as a prototype or ancestor, though.

Wouldn't the fact we see an Alien in a mural inside the temple long before the Deacon is even conceived kinda rule it out as a progenitor?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed