Prometheus ConceptArt/MakingOf/BehindTheScenes - MasterThread

Started by LarsVader, Jun 14, 2012, 12:34:13 PM

Author
Prometheus ConceptArt/MakingOf/BehindTheScenes - MasterThread (Read 219,578 times)

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well, I thought that was quite interesting in terms of exploration of ideas. I don't understand the idea of the swollen fronts of the alien heads but it was good to see the rest of Huante's concepts to see further what he was trying to do

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The swollen foreheads are probably due to the intention of rendering the designs foetus-like.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 09, 2013, 07:00:46 PM
The swollen foreheads are probably due to the intention of rendering the designs foetus-like.

well, it looks a bit odd to me when it's the front of the alien head dome ballooning out of the front and maybe I might be saying to someone to let a bit of the air out

Inglorious

Boy, all of these are way better than what got into the film.

WTH happened to Ridley Scott?

King

This is my favorite one

LarsVader

I hope Huante can get them printed at some point.
He should get together with Giger and Gutalin for this.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: King on Mar 10, 2013, 03:01:48 AM
This is my favorite one

Looks like something from Independence Day.

DontRelaxJustYetMarines

Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 10, 2013, 01:34:14 PM
Quote from: King on Mar 10, 2013, 03:01:48 AM
This is my favorite one

Looks like something from Independence Day.

Looks like something.... way better than what we got in the film, at least.  :-X

ChrisPachi

If you absolutely must shoe-horn human/alien gods into the Alien/space jockey mythos, how could this be not the way to go?

Sexy Poot

Wasted talent. Absolutely wasted talent.

bobby brown

Sure, the artwork looks really cool.

But are you guys sure this is what you want?
So you really wouldn't hate on it anyway even if this was the final design?

Birth_Machine

I risk sounding too much like a purist, but Giger's absence from the creative process was sorely missed. Still, Huante's designs are bold and unsettling, whereas what we actually saw in Prometheus would not be out of place in any contemporary sci-fi film. The exception was the 'Hammerpede', which was wonderful.

It's baffling that Ridley Scott envisioned the the engineer environments as more mechanical and the creatures as biologically feasible, when what made both so unsettling and memorable in Alien was the opposite approach. I'm still miffed that the production chickened out on the elephantine Jockey design for fear of looking silly. Of course it was always intended as a breathing apparatus and not a trunk, but the concepts we see here prove that it would have worked, and would have looked wicked.

Quote from: bobby brown on Mar 10, 2013, 10:05:44 PM
But are you guys sure this is what you want?
So you really wouldn't hate on it anyway even if this was the final design?

Some degree of hate is unavoidable. If H.R. Giger severed one of his own appendages and it magically morphed into a creature design from God/Chief Engineer Himself, there would still be naysayers. At least these ideas were more ambitious than an actor in zombie makeup...and f***ing space flutes.

MrSpaceJockey

Your username is based off of one of the coolest Giger works ever? Awesome.

Birth_Machine

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised that the name wasn't already taken.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Birth_Machine on Mar 11, 2013, 11:27:18 PMI'm still miffed that the production chickened out on the elephantine Jockey design for fear of looking silly.

IMO the pic I posted above shows that you could have the human element of it and still make it unnervingly alien, or biologically unfeasible as you say. Like the Jockey, a thing that should not be. One of those at correct Jockey proportions would of been fantastic and would of respected the source material.

Quote from: bobby brown on Mar 10, 2013, 10:05:44 PMSo you really wouldn't hate on it anyway even if this was the final design?

In regards to Huante's Jockey hell no, it would of been epic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed