Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 70,882 times)

Samhain13

That's nice.

The Old One

The Old One

Blackout?

Spoiler

It doesn't, not really.
It establishes Amanda Ripley
wanted to go to Earth, and viola
Resistance.
[close]

But character depth?
I hope the novel will do.

Local Trouble

A novelization of Blackout?  :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

Alien Isolation Novelisation.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 02, 2019, 02:43:39 AM
For the other girl, for Amanda I guess the new game might explain the gap between Isolation and Resistance.
It very casually & vaguely does.

Toward the end of the first level, Amanda says that
Spoiler
the crew of the Mendel Station "pulled [her] out of a bad situation" and brought her on board.  When she awoke from hypersleep, she found that most of the crew was already killed by a xenomorph.  She states that she knows the alien was born on the ship and asks Yutani if she knew what "they had cooking" there, so she obviously came across evidence of the aliens being bred and/or studied on the station.
[close]

Then the whole game proceeds to show how Amanda got out of that situation with the intention of going to Earth.

I'm not sure how much more information about the gap between Isolation and Resistance we really need.  Personally, all I wanted to know was how Amanda got out of the pickle she was in at the end of Isolation, and I got my answer.

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps this goes here?

I think that TRJ is 100% on the money, but optimistic about any quality AVP/AVPR has,
if any of the films would actually work as an Arthouse Silent film; it's Prometheus.

This guy gets ALIEN more so than anyone else that has worked on the franchise,
other than maybe Alex White.

Spoiler

I have to correct Tristan Jones on something, the Queen is shown exiting the Elevator "Close your eyes baby."
Then, the Dropship arrives and the landing gear catches on debris in one of it's front two landing gear struts,
the Queen gets on the third Landing strut at the back of the Dropship.
&
The Theatrical Version's superior.
[close]

tyrannosaurusjones

tyrannosaurusjones

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 19, 2019, 01:06:40 AM

I think that TRJ is 100% on the money, but optimistic about any quality AVP/AVPR has,
if any of the films would actually work as an Arthouse Silent film; it's Prometheus.

This guy gets ALIEN more so than anyone else that has worked on the franchise,
other than maybe Alex White.

Thanks man! Not so much optomistic, because they're both f**king dreadful. Both of them. And honestly, AVP is a broken concept. Great in theory but yet to be done compellingly. I only say AVPR is a silent movie because I literally don't give a f**k about what any human on screen says, so they may as well be silent. I'm only in it for the Wolf Predator, because I hate the Alien designs in that film as well.

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 19, 2019, 01:06:40 AM
Spoiler

I have to correct Tristan Jones on something, the Queen is shown exiting the Elevator "Close your eyes baby."
Then, the Dropship arrives and the landing gear catches on debris in one of it's front two landing gear struts,
the Queen gets on the third Landing strut at the back of the Dropship.
&
The Theatrical Version's superior.
[close]

Fair cop; I remembered after, but still, this is some bullshit clunk...

The Old One

The Old One

It is convenient, I'll give you that.
As for the "Egg on the Sulaco"
Spoiler

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 20, 2018, 11:00:02 AM
It was the intention during shooting that it was an unclear amount of surviving Facehuggers
that hitched a ride and waited until the humans were at their most vulnerable.

(The Facehuggers obviously ran for the hills when the airlock opened, under a grating- inside a vent and voilà.
When the Facehuggers return, the crew's in cryosleep.)

The egg was a studio insert, from the mentality that "these things have to come from an egg" creating a needless point of contention.
One that we're still discussing, if you don't care about the way the film should have been edited together being the real explanation;
Then in order to take it at face value, with it being in a place it couldn't possibly be. I only have this to say;

"I had a terrible dream in cryosleep."
-Ellen Ripley

[close]

Regardless, I'd love to see your ideas about the Alien come to fruition in that hypothetical Graphic Novel,
I think you hit the nail on the head with how the Pathogen should relate to them, and the caste system.

tyrannosaurusjones

Sorry man, I added more to the original post, but nothing really worth noting. ALIENS is full of contrivances and conveniences, and it breaks it all for me.

I would honestly love nothing more than to do that book. I've got a few surprises up my sleeve for it, too, so with any luck, we can get it to happen. Like I said in the podcast -- polite requests to Spencer and Randy to let me do the graphic novel might help ;) If there's a market for an ALIEN book over an ALIENS series, they need to know.

The Old One

The Old One

I agree, AVP is a broken concept- there's nothing there really interesting to explore in my opinion. Aside from a fantastic idea for a three way dynamic in a videogame, Predator needs to spread it's wings and go full Metabarons. Colourful and hyper-unreal violence, all at once in a European style. Far, far away from the realism and nihilism of Alien (Capitalist, Corporate and Cosmic Rape of existence).

I extrapolate in the YouTube comments on why exactly I believe there is a market, I don't think it's a mere coincidence that both of the best recent Alien entries are ALIEN entries, not ALIEN$ entries. Not to degrade the work of anyone on the comics now, in the past or the future.

It's more in the spirit of the work, for instance- despite being titled Aliens: Dead Orbit, Dead Orbit is more Alien than Aliens- don't be fooled. As is Alex White's The Cold Forge and obviously Isolation.

Feel free to screen cap the comments and harass those two if you like, but I doubt the fanbase could convince them the market exists even if we all messaged them at the same time. But maybe we should anyway.

SiL

SiL

Predator worked best when it wasn't colourful, hyper-unreal violence. McTiernan's restraint in the original is a saving grace, not a failing. Remove that restraint and it turns quickly into ludicrous trash.

The Old One

The Old One

The Fifth Element is ludicrous but isn't trash;
Predator could do much the same, OR smaller scale horror-action more in tune with the original, either's good IMO.

SiL

SiL

The Fifth Element is a galaxy-spanning comic book extravaganza that's about as far away from a Predator movie as you can get. Why would that be a good recommendation?

The Old One

The Old One

Because throwing a Predator into a space opera would catch my interest, I've seen him hunt man quite a few too many times without any interesting developments now. Aside from Predator 2, which is off the wall, and feels unreal, in a fun colourful way. And Predator Concrete Jungle is much the same, I think Predator should run with that sorta  not-so-serious tone.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 19, 2019, 08:10:15 AM
Because throwing a Predator into a space opera would catch my interest
Throwing the Alien into a Hallmark drama would catch my interest; whether it's an idea with merit is another thing entirely :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed