Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 28, 2018, 06:24:14 PM

Author
Aliens: Resistance (Defiance sequel) (Read 72,906 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah...

We'll see.

Local Trouble

Can I count on you to whinge?

The Old One

The Old One

If the justification for W-Y's actions isn't something that threatens their existence as an entity, you can bet your ass.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 27, 2019, 04:17:05 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 27, 2019, 09:39:41 AM
Sterilized facehuggers would actually be pretty effective for non-lethal pacification.
More effective than current methods? Alien eggs take time to produce, they're (presumably) single-use, they sit in eggs unless triggered (in which case you have to wrangle them into a holding container) and you'd need a shitload of them to pacify a riot. Is that easier than using a mechanized assembly line to crank out, like, flying drones that deploy tear gas or whatever?

Luckily they appear to have an indefinite shelf-life.

Speaking of wrangling, I haven't read through Sea of Sorrows all the way yet - does the book cover the capture of the two live facehuggers in 'Aliens'?

That was River of Pain and I think it does mention the scientists removed the huggers from the colonists, which killed them. One of the characters chews them out for it I believe.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 28, 2019, 01:29:45 AM
Don't forget that the company has to lose all traces of their specimens so that Ripley and her queen are their only hope.

People seem to having great difficulty in separating The Company from its opportunistic employees.

Was it this difficult to get one's head around when Burke attempted to murder people to obtain specimens?

The Old One

The Old One

So Michael Bishop's an opportunistic employee?

Are you suggesting that the events on Fiorina 161-
are ultimately irrelevant in the larger scheme of things
because they have access to the Alien around the same timeframe?

SM

SM

I don't think I suggested anything of the sort.

The Old One

The Old One

Isn't that what Local Trouble's referring to though?

Ripley and her Queen...

Being that, unless they lose access to all their specimens, there's no real reason to be upset that Ellen Ripley threw herself into a furnace or for the audience to give a toss about the conclusion if they've got a ACM situation going on back there.

SM

SM

I was referring to the 'Company losing all traces'.  If it's some people doing a Burke, the Company can't lose what they may not have had in the first place.

That said they had them at the end of Defiance and again decades later prior to the events of Aliens in Cold Forge.

The Old One

The Old One

Fair enough.

Defiance requires a sequel, one worthwhile reason is Doctor Hollis' fate. The Company. The Alien.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 27, 2019, 04:17:05 PM
Speaking of wrangling, I haven't read through Sea of Sorrows all the way yet - does the book cover the capture of the two live facehuggers in 'Aliens'?

River of Pain. Those 2 are removed "offscreen", as well as how it went with the 2 teams that were facehugged after Russ. Its implied the scientists were more interested on getting a live specimen for study than actually saving the host. The author added some WY bad scientists, because adding marines wasn't enough.

Another hugger they try removed by freezing the fingers with nitrozen, they remove a finger without having to deal with acid all over the place, but the hugger cuts the host oxygen in response.

Ultramorph

I'm not bothered by this characterization of WY. It's a massive company and it makes sense that certain opportunistic employees would set to their own little experiments in the depths of space, outside of direct company oversight. That's basicallly what Burke did in the movie over 30 years ago. Not everything is the high level execs twirling their mustaches.

The Old One

The Old One

The kind of funding that would be needed to do what they're depicted as doing in Resistance would require more than a few opportunistic employees. It would require a very careful group, covering their tracks within W-Y.

Ultramorph

They covered up what really happened on LV-426 pretty well, even after it all went south. 40 years later people just think of it as a tragic reactor accident.

The Old One

The Old One

The incident in Aliens 1986 requires:
Carter Burke to send colonists out to investigate the Derelict.
A USCM team disappears,
Carter Burke disappears.
The Colony disappears.
"System overload, maybe."

The incident in -Resistance requires:
Individuals to obtain the Alien.
Somewhere to store the Alien.
Individuals to breed the Alien.
Individuals to develop the technology for deployment.
Someone to fly the dropship to deploy on the civilians.
Individuals to develop the technology for "Handlers".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed