ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,972 times)

Doctor Ash

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 23, 2015, 11:10:09 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 22, 2015, 04:30:08 PMOut of curiosity, does the W-Y Report use the Calpamos name?

I honestly can't remember. But it's used in both Fire and Stone and River of Pain, so it's clearly been adopted.

Quote from: Doctor Ash on Aug 22, 2015, 04:40:04 PMIs eggmorphing mentioned in the WY Report?

I seem to remember and oblique reference to it but nothing obvious or detailed.
Thank you!

SM

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 22, 2015, 04:37:52 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Aug 22, 2015, 03:00:15 PM
Interesting! Yep that makes it pretty clear! :-)

Epsilon works because LV-426 was later renamed Archeron. Since Archeron is a Greek word it would make sense that it's parent body would also have a Greek name.

I cannot seem to trace the etymology of Calpamos. It sounds Greek but it could also just be a made-up word.

*Acheron.  See also "Ilium".

Calpamos is in the book.

Egg morphing is not.
Neither is it discounted.

Engineer

Ilium as in the ilium range??

Ilium is another name for the city of Troy, so I'd imagine symbolically the ilium range is a reference to the walls encompassing the city of Troy, only in this case I'm assuming Hadley's hope is our version Troy. So in a sense, the aliens got in to the colony via thier own version of a Trojan horse... Chest burster(s).

SM

I think you're reading too much into a throwaway Greek mythological reference.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 23, 2015, 11:19:35 PM
I think you're reading too much into a throwaway Greek mythological reference.

Lol

Ok, so what's the significance of ilium? What I came up with before I knew was a stretch! Lol

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 23, 2015, 11:31:16 PMOk, so what's the significance of ilium? What I came up with before I knew was a stretch! Lol

Probably just went hand-in-hand nicely with Acheron (also Greek). Cameron was obviously on a Greek bender at the time.

SM

Reckon.  As it was, neither reference ended up on screen when the film was released.

Doctor Ash

I wonder why the authors and the artists behind the alien franchise never bothered to bring egg morphing inside the books and comics (with the exception of Alan Dean Foster and the mentioning of it in the background material of the AvP 2 DVD)

There are many fans who like it. Some even more than the Queen...

HuDaFuK

Probably because the masses are just more familiar with the Queen, and before the Director's Cut of Alien I'd wager most casual fans didn't even know about it.

SM

What he said.

Doctor Ash

Doctor Ash

But they could bring it in, in addition to the queen. Wouldn't  it have the chance to make the books and comics more successful, as many people would like to have it there?

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 24, 2015, 08:03:10 AM
Reckon.  As it was, neither reference ended up on screen when the film was released.
Didn't ilium eventually get referenced verbally in the aliens directors cut? Lydecker to Simpson:

You remember you sent some wildcatters out to that plateau, out past the Ilium range, a couple days ago?

Perfect-Organism

I think it would have to make sense to the story.  Keep in mind, the Aliens currently have a reproductive cycle that more or less makes sense.  If you throw eggmorphing into the mix, it will require a lot more elaboration as to why they can do that, possibly making that the theme of the film.  Is it cool enough to make it the film's focus?  I don't know.

Doctor Ash

As some people mentioned before, it could be used for the creation of a queen facehugger bearing egg instead of that uncreative hormone storm thing.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 24, 2015, 02:29:14 PM
Quote from: SM on Aug 24, 2015, 08:03:10 AM
Didn't ilium eventually get referenced verbally in the aliens directors cut? Lydecker to Simpson:

It did, but the DC was only released six years later. As the new lieutenant mentioned, none of those Greco references were present in the original theatrical cut.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed